Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 16235 times)

Devious Viper
Dr. Who
« on: November 01, 2005, 08:46:53 pm »
I thought this last season of "Dr. Who" was awesome. Dealt with some rather paranormal subjects, too, as well as being chock full o'monsters. I'd like to have seen Christopher Ecclestone stay in the role a while longer, but I guess we'll just have to get used to David Tennant instead. Waiting with baited breath for the Christmas Special... Any other fans out there? Or did you just loathe the whole thing?

~ Viper ~

Quest
  • Great Master
Dr. Who
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 04:12:55 pm »
I'm a big fan of Dr. Who.  I've greatly enjoyed the new season.  Likewise disappointed that Chris Eccleston didn't stay on beyond the single season.  Still, the story ideas for season two sound great and I'm looking forward to seeing Sarah Jane's appearance (along with K9).

Devious Viper
Dr. Who
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 04:21:54 pm »
I SOOO had a crush on Sarah Jane when I was a kid :oops:
I think that the first time I ever went to the flicks to see a movie was a Saturday matinee, to see a Dr. Who film (with Peter Cushing and Bernard Cribbins, I think. And daleks!)
Over the years, I can't really decide which has been my favourite of his foes... The ones from my very young days always seemed to be scarier - Sea Devils, for example.
Interesting how the Cybermen went Trans-Atlantic and became The Borg...
From the last season, one memorable moment - "The Empty Child"... For weeks afterwards, that quote ("Are you my mommy..?") was everywhere!
Well scripted, well produced, well acted, decent SFX. Great stuff.

What did you think of the one-off with (Paul?) McGann?

markus
  • Realized Monster
Dr. Who
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 04:30:29 pm »
I liked the new series and I too was disappointed when eggleston quit

Favorite episodes were

End of the World
The Unquiet Dead
Dalek
Empty Child*
The Dr Dances*

Good 2 part above*
 Parting of Ways

The Paul McGann was OK, thats about it.... nowhere near as good as any of the series or the movies with cushing
What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?

We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no-one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
Dr. Who
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:34:17 am »
i lost all interest in watching lost, when i saw the first episode...i loved it, and i'm not even into sci fi...but the actors did a fine job...the new doctor doesn't look like he'll be able to pull off the rogueish charm of ecclestian's dr. who, but my husband got his dalek fix, and is still a "tom baker is still the best doctor";constantly comparing the two...but he enjoyed it as much as i did...even if they made the new doctor a bit more, reckless than he felt a proper doctor should be.    

i liked how they presented ghost situations as being extraterrestrial, it's a theory i've heard before, but never quite as enticing...any news on the release of the second season yet, i'll probably have to wait until sci fi gets done dealing for rights.  *pouts*
"The world that God made is inherently comprised of relationships, symmetries, analogia, anagogy, poetic wisdom. Thus is the language of symbolism."

Quest
  • Great Master
Dr. Who
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 01:34:19 pm »
I remember seeing the Sea Devils.  It's been a while but I think they first appeared in a Jon Pertwee serial, then later on in a Peter Davison one if I'm not mistaken.

I really liked the Daleks and the Cybermen.  And of course, the Master, too.

Richv1
  • Monstrous Imp
    • http://www.jazmaonline.com
Dr. Who
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 12:20:37 pm »
I love the new Dr Who and the Christmas special was good as well. Its great having this series back on TV and with great actors.

Richard Vasseur
http://www.jazmaonline.com
Richard Vasseur
www.jazmaonline.com

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
Dr. Who
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 09:13:06 am »
Quote from: Richv1
I love the new Dr Who and the Christmas special was good as well. Its great having this series back on TV and with great actors.

Richard Vasseur
http://www.jazmaonline.com

i'll agree, we saw it last night...i still liked ecclestien for the doctor, this one is okay, but seems a bit more goofy looking to really pull of the charismatic bravado of the first season.

but he is younger...any one know the reasons why ecclestein couldn't do season two?
"The world that God made is inherently comprised of relationships, symmetries, analogia, anagogy, poetic wisdom. Thus is the language of symbolism."

Quest
  • Great Master
Dr. Who
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 07:06:53 pm »
Eccleston listed the worry of being type cast and also said that he felt the shooting schedule was too rushed and hard to do.  So he departed at the end of the first season (or was it season 27?)

Tennant does seem as if he's going to be a more humorous Doctor.  I liked his first appearance and I'm looking forward to his return.

Zak Roy Yoballa

• Realized Monster
  • We can't all be beautiful people
    • http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/bgm/pics/
Dr. Who
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 03:49:13 am »
Okay, I know of the Dr. Who phenomenon but not very familiar with it.  He is a time changing, body changing, alien who flies around in an English phone booth.  How close is that?

ZRY
Your attitude is the only thing they can't take from you.

mike624

• Monstrous Imp
Dr. Who
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 04:38:43 pm »
wait where can i watch this? i've never heard of what you guys are talking about.

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
Dr. Who
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 01:19:49 pm »
Quote from: mike624
wait where can i watch this? i've never heard of what you guys are talking about.

It's currently strictly brittish, but apparantly the sci fi channel is working out a deal with bbc to carry it over here in america...

"Okay, I know of the Dr. Who phenomenon but not very familiar with it. He is a time changing, body changing, alien who flies around in an English phone booth. How close is that?"

actually it's more of a time/space travelling alien(timelord) that has a limited number of lives...so he does't really change bodies, when he dies he just sort of regenerates a new one...in the new series they have it completely devoid of any other timelords, with the new series there was some great war between them and the daleks...supposedly wiping out both races...leaving the dr. as the only one still in existance.

my husband finds it fascinating that it seems they only have two lives left for the good doctor, hoping that they may lead a series up to the master,(the final regeneration of the dr.)

...and apparantly not a very nice person...historically.

BlackAcidStarz

• Monstrous Imp
Dr. Who
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 01:49:01 pm »
Yes this is the only show my friends watches. Must be pretty good.
.+*BLACK ACID STARZ*+.

Quest
  • Great Master
Dr. Who
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
SciFi Channel in the USA will begin showing the series with Eccleston in it beginning this March.  It will air Fridays at 9:00.

The_Seeker

• Realized Monster
Re: Dr. Who
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 07:08:17 pm »
Quest's right, Doctor Who (2005) will be premiering in the US on March 17, at 9/8. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk