Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 16237 times)

mike624

• Monstrous Imp
Re: Dr. Who
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 03:39:39 am »
thats tonight. ill be watching it. :-D

Quest
  • Great Master
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 07:11:19 pm »
Technically I think the Doctor can die under certain circumstances.  The Peter Davison Doctor indicated this when he got poisoned.  He said to his companion Peri when she asked if he was going to die "I don't know.  I might regenerate.  It feels different this time..."

In the Paul McGann Fox movie pilot the Doctor (Sylvestor McCoy) got shot by a street gang.  He was taken to a hospital and they put him under.  He fought it and told them the anestetic might interfere with the regeneration process.  In the movie the Doctor apparently died on the operating table.  In the hospital morgue he regenerated into the McGann Doctor.  The was the only case in which the Doctor was actually pronounced dead and regenerated.  But was he really dead?  Being an alien Time Lord who really knows?

The Eccleston Doctor regenerates as well, telling Rose "We have a little trick to cheat death".  He has a great line in this episode.  "This is the last time you'll see me Rose.....the last time you'll see me like this".  This indicates that he doesn't actually die.  The regeneration process is apparently an instinctive one.  In many cases the Doctor was not conscious when he regenerates.  In fact, in the cases of Pertwee, Baker, Davison, (Colin) Baker, and McCoy he's out like a light when he regenerates.  Eccleston is one of the few Doctors who regenerates standing up and is full awake.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:13:10 pm by Quest »

Dark Lord M
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »
This season came out a couple weeks ago here in America for the Science Fiction channel, I must say that I am addicted to Doctor Who! I never thought I would even get into the franchise till I saw the commercials for it and I decided to give it a shot.

Me and my sister watch it every week on friday and we moan and groan during the credits because its over, we only have two more episodes left till the 9th Doctors carnation comes to an end, and what I've read about the other Doctor incarnations that I can relate to the 9th the best, bitter and sweet.

Ex-ter-mi-nate!

I do think that David Tennant  is a little to young looking to play the Doctor, all the others were older men and Davids... Well young looking which kind of makes me feel uneasy, I havn't seen him in action since I'm still on the first season of 2005.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 05:32:07 pm by Dark Lord M »

Devious Viper
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 06:02:05 pm »
Airs on BBC1 here, every Saturday, with a start time of anything between 6.35pm and 7pm (well, it is supposed to be a kids' program!) I'm an avid viewer, and everything stops in my house so that I can watch in peace. Even the phone gets taken off the hook. Tonight was episiode 7, "The Idiot's Lantern".

The previous 2 episodes were pretty nostalgic for me, featuring as they did the Cybermen (on whom, witha bit of Dalek, Star Trek's Borg are clearly modelled.)

I'm not entirely comfortable with Tennant yet, but that might be because I've seen him in so many other roles recently:
Cassanova, wotsit in Harry Potter, et al. Still, I watch for the plots, not the actors.

I'm eagerly awaiting the spin off, too ... "Torchwood"...

Quest
  • Great Master
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 05:07:54 am »
So far I'm enjoying the Tennant episodes.  He's proven to be a good replacement for Eccleston.

Dark Lord M
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 06:14:30 am »
Tennant is just to young in my mind to play the Doctor. I just don't like him that much, next they'll be knocking on my door for me to play the 11th.  8-)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 07:29:07 am by Dark Lord M »

Quest
  • Great Master
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 05:24:06 am »
How old is Tennant now?  Peter Davison was 29 I think when he started playing the Doctor.  At the time he was the youngest actor to play the part.

Dark Lord M
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 07:32:09 am »
Tennant is 35, but he just looks to young for me, or maybe I just don't like how he "looks" as the Doctor, but I can't just a book bye its cover, I'll just have to wait for the last two episodes to see the 9th Doctor die and see the 10th to come up. :-o

Devious Viper
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 04:30:29 am »
I mentioned in my previous post that I believed the Cybermen were the direct inspiration for the Borg (my fave Trekkie "monsters"); I spotted this on wiki:

The Cybermen can be seen as a slightly more individualistic forerunner of the Borg from Star Trek. Similarities include converting their victims into Cybermen (a process known as "cyber-conversion", although unlike the Borg there is no way to reverse the conversion) and the use of the catchphrase "Resistance is useless/futile" and promises or threats of assimilation, such as "You will become like us." ...The first episode that hints at the presence of the Borg ("The Neutral Zone", 1988) features, as a briefly glimpsed background detail, a computer screen which displays the names of the first six actors to play the Doctor; showing that at least some members of the production team were aware of Doctor Who. Coincidentally or not, the first on screen appearance of the Borg was in the episode "Q Who?" (1989).

Quest
  • Great Master
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 07:24:07 pm »
I would agree with you about the Cybermen/Borg comparison.  There are some definite comparisons.

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 10:01:39 am »
we watch it with my brother in law over dinner on sunday nights, it's something the three of us can enjoy together...

i like tennet, i was unsure at first, he wasn't ecclestian...but he brings a certain character to the doctor, my husband likes that they seem to be clinging to the original concept of horror that he saw the first time he watched dr. who...i'm not too clear on who history, but i now know who he is.  :D
"The world that God made is inherently comprised of relationships, symmetries, analogia, anagogy, poetic wisdom. Thus is the language of symbolism."

Devious Viper
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 11:45:21 am »
Your husband and I sound as though we have similar taste. The aspect of the last two series that has hooked me most is its return to the style of early British sci-fi/horror (eg The Quatermas Experiment {released in the US under the title The Crawling Horror I seem to recall} and Quatermas And The Pit.)

Coincidentally (or not - the producer and writers are all of my generation!), the last episode, The Wire, tipped its hat on several occasions to ...Experiment, and the current storyline is The Satan Pit (part 2 of 2; part 1 was entitled The Impossible Planet.)

~ Viper ~

Dark Lord M
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 12:23:01 pm »
I saw the last episode of season 1, 'twas great, too bad Jack got left behind. I laughed when the Dalek's eye stalk got shot and it yelled "MY VISION IS IMPAIRED, I CANNOT SEE!" Perhaps one of my favorite Who quotes ever. My sister seems to like the 10th Doctor, but I'm still not sure...

Dark Lord M
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006, 03:39:29 pm »

You are the eighth Doctor! Friendly and warm, you are the most human of all the Doctors. Your sense of style is a bit old-fashioned. You have a bit of trouble figuring out exactly who you are at first, but no worries. Eventually you'll find your way.

Might have to remove the picture?  :?

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 11:21:19 am »
Your husband and I sound as though we have similar taste. The aspect of the last two series that has hooked me most is its return to the style of early British sci-fi/horror (eg The Quatermas Experiment {released in the US under the title The Crawling Horror I seem to recall} and Quatermas And The Pit.)

Coincidentally (or not - the producer and writers are all of my generation!), the last episode, The Wire, tipped its hat on several occasions to ...Experiment, and the current storyline is The Satan Pit (part 2 of 2; part 1 was entitled The Impossible Planet.)

~ Viper ~

i missed the last half of the first part...i had other things to deal with, but fell in love with the second part...i suppose that's no suprise, but the thought there's something out there that the doctor can't explain...it sort of leaves hope for the universe.  ;)

the l.i.n.d.a episode was cute, i guess it shows that love can overcome any, obstacle. 

i read that billie piper was only going to be on for six episodes of this season?
"The world that God made is inherently comprised of relationships, symmetries, analogia, anagogy, poetic wisdom. Thus is the language of symbolism."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk