Monstrous Music & Games > RPGs and Gaming

Werewolf help!!!please.

(1/4) > >>

jordyn:
So my lovely little girl is wanting me to run a werewolf game, being a good mom that loved vampire i ordered the white wolf books; werewolf the apocolypse, their players guide and a guide to auspices.

I need some ideas as to what sixteen year olds would like in a game, not to mention the much more complex character creations werewolf requires than their vampire or even demon books do.

I have them as lost cubs(her idea) and developed a union of rebel vampires that choose to help the werewolves in saving the last of the wilds in the northwestern part of the united states up through b.c. and into canada.

My experience with werwolves is little more than some awesome movies, a few erotic stories i wrote and just my own, ideas of what it'd be like being both human and beast, so any ideas to make this more of a werewolf game and less of a vampire game with werewolves would be fantastically appreciated.

thank you for any help you have to offer.

grimweird:
Umm... Usually, I try to get a feel for what the player(s) want in the game. Some prefer lots of meat grinding action, others like an investigative storyline while still others prefer roleplay, drama and character development. You might want to check with them what they want out of the experience. While you can of course simply ask them I usually find it better to use my own way...

The way I usually construct the campaign is to ask the players to write a page or two of background story for their characters and start from there. Then generate a character or two and allow some customisation on the player's part. By the time you get to this stage it doesn't take a lot of effort to see where the player wants to go with that character.

I'm familiar with the system you're using, but I only have Vampire: Dark Ages, so I'm afraid I can't give you specific assistance on Apocalypse. Sorry...  :-(

I would imagine that the Werewolves are more "in touch" with nature and not as tied to humanity as vampires are. Consequently, they are more likely to be active in the countryside rather than urbanised / developed areas. If I'm not mistaken, werewolves and vampires (even "rogue" vampires) don't really get along in any sense of the word. It might be better, if you really have to, to ally the cubs with Autarkis? They are more likely to sympathise with an environmental cause being less monstrous than their lower generation kin.

A possible campaign hook may be that the players and their allies may be trying to prevent the construction of something nasty, like a toxic waste dump or landfill or a theme park by a greedy corporation (later discovered to be run by some vamp elders perhaps). The campaign may need to be built up and balanced in both story and mechanics as the players gain strength and power, so you may want to start with mere mortal enemies, then maybe ghouls, then higher generation vamps and so on. As the story progresses, add in allies / enemies as well, maybe the Fae in the forests decide to take a side, or rival / allied werewolf packs show up when vampires are discovered...

Hope this helps :)

jordyn:

--- Quote from: grimweird on September 23, 2012, 09:15:04 PM ---Umm... Usually, I try to get a feel for what the player(s) want in the game. Some prefer lots of meat grinding action, others like an investigative storyline while still others prefer roleplay, drama and character development. You might want to check with them what they want out of the experience. While you can of course simply ask them I usually find it better to use my own way...

The way I usually construct the campaign is to ask the players to write a page or two of background story for their characters and start from there. Then generate a character or two and allow some customisation on the player's part. By the time you get to this stage it doesn't take a lot of effort to see where the player wants to go with that character.

I'm familiar with the system you're using, but I only have Vampire: Dark Ages, so I'm afraid I can't give you specific assistance on Apocalypse. Sorry...  :-(

I would imagine that the Werewolves are more "in touch" with nature and not as tied to humanity as vampires are. Consequently, they are more likely to be active in the countryside rather than urbanised / developed areas. If I'm not mistaken, werewolves and vampires (even "rogue" vampires) don't really get along in any sense of the word. It might be better, if you really have to, to ally the cubs with Autarkis? They are more likely to sympathise with an environmental cause being less monstrous than their lower generation kin.

A possible campaign hook may be that the players and their allies may be trying to prevent the construction of something nasty, like a toxic waste dump or landfill or a theme park by a greedy corporation (later discovered to be run by some vamp elders perhaps). The campaign may need to be built up and balanced in both story and mechanics as the players gain strength and power, so you may want to start with mere mortal enemies, then maybe ghouls, then higher generation vamps and so on. As the story progresses, add in allies / enemies as well, maybe the Fae in the forests decide to take a side, or rival / allied werewolf packs show up when vampires are discovered...

Hope this helps :)

--- End quote ---

it does, the complication comes from her autism, getting her to write a good background for the character is difficult, she wants to get right into the roleplaying and has been playing pretend among her friends, shfiting that do a table top with pencils, papers, and an organized story dictated by dice rolls...oy!!!

but that's what's cute...she wants a nosferatu involved! I threw in a wacky malkavian and a breakaway clan of tremere i created that chose to be more earth witch and less ceremonial based for a twist, i love the tremere, however their whitewolf order would not work for my story and i can't make them the bad guys. ;)

The vampires are easy, werewolves are a little trickier for me and their character creation is so much more complicated with all their gifts, rituals, tribes, auspices, three forms of change that affect their attributes etc..i like simplicity, with werewolf only the dice are simple.

grimweird:
Well, if that's the case, simply ignore the rules which don't work for you  :-P It's not really written in stone anyway, the most important thing is to have FUN! Discard the rules which complicates your play and just make up whatever you feel is OK to make things easier and less complicated. The important thing is to make sure anyone involved knows what changes you've made and stick to it, at least until you / if you find a better way or better rules.

Try not to get too preoccupied with the mechanics and rules if they don't suit your players, just go with the flow. Your job as the Storyteller is to come up with an interesting and exciting world with a gripping story, immersive atmosphere and a memorable cast of characters which will entertain and engross your players.

With regard to the background story thing, it doesn't really need to be terribly detailed, just a paragraph or two would be suffidient. If even that's too much, how about basing the character on an established "real world" person or a fictional character she can relate to? Failing that how about basing the character on your daughter herself? Sort of an "alternate reality" version of her. If she enjoys the hobby and wants to make up another character in the future, maybe she might even come up with a background herself.

Let me know how it turns out :)

jordyn:

--- Quote from: grimweird on September 24, 2012, 10:45:52 AM ---Well, if that's the case, simply ignore the rules which don't work for you  :-P It's not really written in stone anyway, the most important thing is to have FUN! Discard the rules which complicates your play and just make up whatever you feel is OK to make things easier and less complicated. The important thing is to make sure anyone involved knows what changes you've made and stick to it, at least until you / if you find a better way or better rules.

Try not to get too preoccupied with the mechanics and rules if they don't suit your players, just go with the flow. Your job as the Storyteller is to come up with an interesting and exciting world with a gripping story, immersive atmosphere and a memorable cast of characters which will entertain and engross your players.

With regard to the background story thing, it doesn't really need to be terribly detailed, just a paragraph or two would be suffidient. If even that's too much, how about basing the character on an established "real world" person or a fictional character she can relate to? Failing that how about basing the character on your daughter herself? Sort of an "alternate reality" version of her. If she enjoys the hobby and wants to make up another character in the future, maybe she might even come up with a background herself.

Let me know how it turns out :)

--- End quote ---

it gets better, she now wants to be a mokeli(werealligator) and her friend wants to be a leopard bastat(werecat), neither of them get along with garou and no one gets along with the vampires. 

I think i'm going to have to come up with some limits!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version