Ghosts, Poltergeists & Apparitions > Ghostly Encounters

Poltergeists haunt the White Horse pub in Great Yarmouth

(1/1)

monstr:
An exorcist has called time on spirits at a Norfolk pub after staff claimed they had come under attack from mischievous poltergeists.

Staff at the White Horse pub in Great Yarmouth will only go down to the cellar in pairs to change barrels after one of them saw a ghostly figure there.

And the chef is so petrified of sleeping in an apparently haunted upstairs bedroom, he now spends nights on the kitchen floor armed with a rolling pin. He also claims to have been injured by a frozen steak which was hurled at him by the ghouls.

Bar staff at the 17th century, grade two listed building also claim to have witnessed pool balls moving by themselves, pint glasses flying from their shelves and ghostly apparitions running through the building.

Debbie Bee, landlady of the pub which, ironically, is number 13 Northgate Street and is next to Murderers Row in the town, is trying to sell the pub after efforts to banish the spirits failed.

She said the exorcism by Canon Michael Woods only annoyed the ghosts further.

"After the exorcism it got worse," said Miss Bee, who has run the pub since 1998.

"Things started flying around and I couldn't even sleep. I lay awake most of the night. The exorcism could even have stirred them up."

Miss Bee said the problems began about five weeks ago when she first put the pub on the market.

"I woke up one night and saw a child and a man standing on the staircase looking at me," she said. "I flew out of the room like a rocket.

"It's not a publicity stunt. This isn't the sort of publicity I want."

She said research had shown there was once an underground tunnel leading from St Nicholas's Parish Church's graveyard to the pub's cellar, and believed this could be the source of the problems.

"The chef Mickey Jeys is at breaking point," she added. "He is a bag of nerves. He ran out crying the other day. I came down the other morning and found him sleeping on the kitchen floor with a rolling pin. I said 'what good is that going to do?'

"He said a gang of them attacked him in the kitchen and threw a steak at him. He now keeps all his knives locked up."

Most of the paranormal activity is contained within guest rooms five and eight, the bar and the cellar, where barman Shane Bennett once saw the figure of a man in a hat.

Friend Debbie Slack, 37, regularly stays at the pub with her three children Sharna, six, Jesse, 12, and Victoria, 16.

She said the two older youngsters no longer wanted to sleep in room eight because of the feelings of dread it filled them with, although her youngest seemed completely at ease.

"She is absolutely fine and things seem to calm down when she is about," said Mrs Slack, 37.

"It wouldn't surprise me if she has made friends with them. She said to me the other day that she didn't want her friend Shawney to leave. There's no-one at school with that name."

Pub poodle Sally has also begun behaving strangely, growling at empty spaces.

Yarmouth ghost-chaser Neil Fellows visited the pub with his Paranormal Dimension team last week and was set to return tonight to film more footage using special infra-red cameras.

He and his wife, Julie have a long-standing fascination with the paranormal and said the pub case was of great interest.

"Although the night we were there was very quiet, we found some unusual stuff on the video tapes and microphones," he said.

"There were some strange sounds. And we saw the same face appear three times on different frames of the video.

"It is certainly interesting enough for us to want to go back there."

Hydra:
Total wierdness... have YOU come into any conclusions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version