The Animal Within > The Otherkin & Therians

Awakening

<< < (2/15) > >>

5arah:
Here is something I originally wrote about myself for another site. :)  More later..

First things first. While I've wanted to do an in depth write up on the subject for some time, I tend to have a difficult time expressing how I feel in regards to my personal therianthropy in words. It's something that just *is*. Whenever I do attempt to write about it, the words just seem to not do the feelings any justice. I've decided to just "let go" and start writing anyway. I apologize ahead of time if something doesn't make sense, is unclear, or disjointed.

There is a part of me that is wolf, and as long as I remember has always been. Though it was around the age of eleven along with puberty that it started making itself a much more forcefully known. Yes, I know rational thought says this is absurd. However in my thirty years of life I've come to accept that not everything in life has to have a clear explanation or make logical sense. Sometimes, one must go with what they feel. It's the part of me that feels most alive outdoors in the wild. Running, sniffing, listening, singing. Whenever I fully "let go," and allow that side to fully take the reins, I no longer perceive myself as human. The best way to describe it to people is that it's like an altered state of consciousness. There are no words, and the thoughts don't translate very well. Time seems to pass differently in this state. The world explodes in scents and sounds, but my normally perfect vision seems to diminish. From my point of view, my body seems much different, furry, quadrupedal and all (though I'm pretty sure if someone saw me, I'd just be a "crazy naked lady" :P). While I always feel some "phantom parts," in this mental state it's even more amplified. This is what is generally termed as a mental shift, or "m-shift." Though in my personal wittings I've always just referred to it as "letting go." While that side of me is always there, beneath the surface, I can only fully let go "all the way" out in nature.

Of course there's much, much, much more to that side of me than just letting go. It also melds in well with everyday life. I enjoy teamwork and fitting into a hierarchy. This seems to help out in the workplace. I feel a sense of "pack" with certain groups of people. Then again humans are also social creatures, so in some cases like this it can become nearly impossible to tell where the human ends and the wolf begins so to speak. There's so many other "things" about that part of myself, but I think for now I'll just leave it at that.

And while the wolf is a major part of me, it is not all of me. I embrace, accept, and enjoy my humanity as well. Some days I feel more wolf than human, other days I feel more human than wolf, and yet on others I feel evenly balanced, like a hybrid of sorts. It changes in cycles it sometimes seems. Though even when I'm feeling my most human, the feeling of having a tail never quite goes away. Wolf is still there, beneath the surface.

Nina:

--- Quote ---And while the wolf is a major part of me, it is not all of me. I embrace, accept, and enjoy my humanity as well.
--- End quote ---

And in these words lies entire wisdom ;)

TeteoInan:
I have a vivid imagination, and I'm sure that's all this was. But I still thought it would be nice to share.

As I was reading your post, I started to feel like I was somewhere else. I was reading the words, but watching a movie? Maybe it's because of how tired I am...
I was in the woods, out behind where I use to live running with my "boys".
Suddenly they both speed up. I think they caught a scent, and want to chase it, so I match pace with them.
I can't describe the sensation. It was like a huge tingle, like I was getting ready to fall into a seizure, but a "Nice" one. I was a wolf, and I was running with them. Hell, I looked like their Mommy.
I woke up in the Kitchen, which is about 30 feet away, in front of the stove stirring noodles... like I'd done all I needed to do, on Auto Pilot.

Spiffy, yeah?

A Little bit of explanation:
I use to have two Wolf-Husky hybrids and we use to go running every day. They were always wonderful companions, never had to leash them. Raising them in a Pack structure from pups helped out a great deal... I was their Dominant.
I did the Adopt A Wolf / Sponsorship program when I was a kid ( still have a picture of her somewhere ), She got out and Mated with a Male Husky, had a beautiful litter including my two boys. Due to Money and something else involving Reserve rules, they put the pups up for actual adoption.
In my dream, or vision or whatever this was, keeping up with the two at full pace through the tangled trees and whatnot wasn't a problem. In reality, I probably would have face planted a few times!  :lol:

Azurahn:
Or! You're a shifter like the rest of us. You know us locals have always felt you are.

I'll post my story later.

Congrats Arctic on your baby.

TeteoInan:
Azzy you already know my thoughts on that, but since you broached it in public...
If one were to follow my beliefs and things that I have been taught or told... then even if I was never a Therianthrope before, just harnessing/embracing the energy of an animal, I could become one.
But that's almost a different topic, so we'll leave it there.

"Thoughts don't translate very well. Time seems to pass differently in this state. The world explodes in scents and sounds, but my normally perfect vision seems to diminish."

I LOVE hearing about things like this.

"The feeling of having a tail never quite goes away. Wolf is still there, beneath the surface."

So you have a constant reminder of what you are? Is it ever distracting? I know you explained that it seems to have helped you in some situations, but what about hindering? Does the Wolf aspect ever interfere with a task at hand? 

Arctic is this similar to what you feel?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version