Author Topic: Secret Gray-Robed Christians?  (Read 2470 times)

Devious Viper
Secret Gray-Robed Christians?
« on: August 18, 2006, 03:15:57 am »
The Secret Gray-Robed Christians 

by Tim Boucher

A while back, I wrote about one of my favorite occult/paranormal possibilities: that there are entities masquerading as humans, and tampering with our affairs for nefarious reasons. People have called them different things: Fakes, Greys, Aliens, Archons, Agents, Demons, Ecthroi & Organic Portals (just to name a few). Now I would like to write about the more positive flip-side of all that. Namely, the resistance.

If those other names and entities represent the incomplete, the inauthentic, the spurious, then the resistance is made up of those individuals who are or have become truly "real", truly whole. Philip K. penis called them secret or "grey-robed" Christians. His experience with the so-called Secret Christians began in 1974 with the first of his mystical experiences.

The impetus for this particular experience was the severe pain Phil was suffering as a result of having an impacted wisdom tooth removed. Phil called his oral surgeon, who promptly phoned in a prescription for some codeine to a local pharmacy (or Darvon; accounts vary).

When the delivery girl arrived, Phil took one look at her and became mesmerized by the golden fish dangling between her breasts. When asked, the girl told Phil that this was the primitive Christian ICHTHYS symbol, ICHTHYS being the Greek for "fish". The fish was chosen in part because ICHTHYS was taken to be an anagram for “Iesous CHristos, THeou Yios, Soter” (Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior). "The girl and I are secret Christians, in hiding because of the Roman persecution. The only way we can identify ourselves to each other is the innocent-looking fish symbol, a harmless pendant in the eyes of most. This secret ally brings not only medicine to heal my sore tooth, but spiritual medicine as well. After all, is not Christ the Great Physician?"

For a great introduction to these events in PKD’s life, check out the exceptional eight page "The Religious Experience of Philip K. penis" by R. Crumb.

From that point onward, penis began to hallucinate Biblical reality holographically overlaid on normal reality, both happening concurrently, as though time had progressed only in illusion. penis goes into the theory behind this in his Tractates Cryptica Scriptura, part of the Exegesis from his novel VALIS. He believed that the Holy Spirit, or the gnostic Sophia ("Holy Wisdom") existed in the form of living information, which he termed "the plasmate."

22. I term the Immortal One a plasmate, because it is a form of energy; it is living information. It replicates itself—not through information or in information—but as information.

23. The plasmate can crossbond with a human, creating what I call a homoplasmate. This annexes the mortal human permanently to the plasmate. We know this as the “birth from above” or “birth from the Spirit.” It was initiated by Christ, but the Empire destroyed all the homoplasmates before they could replicate.
[/size]

This is very similar to the saying 108 from the gnostic Gospel of Thomas:

108. Jesus said, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I myself shall become that person, and the hidden things will be revealed to him."
[/size]

penis believed that the Empire, the Black Iron Prison, the material world of bondage, ruled by the archons and the demiurge, had killed off the humans who had fused with Sophia, or crossbonded with the plasmate (ie, the homoplasmates), in order to protect itself. The plasmate didn’t disappear though, the living information was stored in the Nag Hammadi gnostic manuscripts. Their discovery in 1945, according to penis, re-released it back into the world, where it began bonding with humans again.

He talks more about this in his novel VALIS. The return of the plasmate to the world meant that the secret gray-robed Christians redoubled their attacks.

Quote from: VALIS
Who had built the prison–and why–he could not say. But he could discern one good thing: the prison lay under attack. An organization of Christians, not regular Christians such as those who attended church every Sunday and prayed, but secret early Christians wearing light gray-colored robes, had started an assault on the prison, and with success. The secret, early Christians were filled with joy.

"Fat, in his madness, understood the reason for their joy. This time the early, secret, gray-robed Christians would get the prison, rather than the other way around."
[/size]

As far as I understand it, the way the secret Christians lay siege to the Black Iron Prison is by taking things that are fake and inauthentic, and replacing them with things that are real, true and complete. penis has an excellent essay about this, which should be required reading, in my opinion: How to build a universe that doesn’t fall apart two days later.

Interestingly, this theme of a secret grey-robed brotherhood fighting against the dark empire exists right out in the open in the middle of one of the most popular books of all time: Lord of the Rings. Specifically, when the Fellowship of the Ring leaves the elven paradisiacal forest of Lothlorien, Lady Galadriel gives them each a grey cloak to wear, which makes them invisible to the eyes of the servants of Mordor. From there, Frodo and Sam penetrate to the heart of darkness, right up to the lair of the Dark Lord himself, and unseat him from power. The True King, Aragorn, also returns to the land, and Gandalf is transfigured into a pure white being.

Mordor is basically analogous to penis’s Empire, the Black Iron Prison, although perhaps it is pictured here before it has spread its darkness across the whole of the land. From peniss’s Tractates,

41. The Empire is the institution, the codification, of derangement; it is insane and imposes its insanity on us by violence, since its nature is a violent one.
[/size]

Another interesting point of comparison comes from the next entry in PKD’s Tractates:

42. To fight the Empire is to be infected by its derangement. This is a paradox: whoever defeats a segment of the Empire becomes the Empire; it proliferates like a virus, imposing its form on its enemies. Thereby it becomes its enemies.
[/size]

This is precisely what happens to Frodo whenever he wears the Ring. The Ring worms its way into his mind and imposes the will of Mordor/the Empire on the mind of the bearer. This is what ultimately destroys Boromir, and this is the reason why Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel will not bear the Ring themselves.

Would it surprise you to find out that J.R.R. Tolkien was also an ardent Christian? Word on the street is that LOTR is also the second best-selling book of all-time, after guess what - the Bible! I know this is all starting to sound like a conspiracy of secret Christians, and I personally have to wonder if maybe it really is. On that note, let me leave you with one more item from penis’s Tractates:

43. Against the Empire is posed the living information, the plasmate or physician, which we know as the Holy Spirit or Christ discorporate. These are the two principles, the dark (the Empire) and the light (the plasmate). In the end, Mind will give victory to the latter. Each of us will die or survive according to which he aligns himself and his efforts with. Each of us contains a component of each. Eventually one or the other component will triumph in each human.
[/size]

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 03:34:11 am by Devious Viper »

Nina
Re: Secret Gray-Robed Christians
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 03:31:49 am »
You wont believe this, but I also found that LOTR was much more than just a fantasy, the world is just too real. Not that its immpossible to have such imagination, its just that it sounded trutfull.
Silly me, ha?

Devious Viper
Re: Secret Gray-Robed Christians?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 03:41:26 am »
"Reality" so often seems incredibly multi-layered; likewise, "existence". I hold to my faith in G-d's Word as my Rock of Understanding. G-d in His magnificence created what we call "reality" and I feel sure that the Bible is there to act as our "Hitchhikers Guide". (Perhaps all Bibles should have "Don't Panic!" embossed on the cover?  :lol: )

But I don't believe we are ever aware, or can be aware, of more than a fragment of His complete creation at any given time. Science creates more questions than it answers, only hints at the bigger picture.

Nina
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:46:40 am »
Hm, that way of thinking (I think that too) leads to a possibility that anything that was writen by a man is happening in some part of universe, or earth. Cause, if we can imagine it, God sure can create it, and what are we if not mere creations of God?

To think that Jules Verne wrote science fiction of the past that is normal everyday thing of today, well, I believe that anything is possible, if someone has faith.

And to think of Star Trek???

And who can say that Hitchiker isnt happening or will happen? Nobody...

Devious Viper
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:57:00 am »
I read a very thought-provoking commentary on Bishop Berkeley by Bertrand Russell in his Problems of Philosophy  that touched upon "reality." Consider common objects, such as a tree, for instance. He shows that all we know immediately when we "perceive" the tree consists of ideas in his sense of the word (that is, sensory data gathered by the eye and transmitted to the brain which interprets the data) and he argues that there is not the slightest ground for supposing that there is anything real about the tree except what is perceived. Its being, he says, consists in being perceived: in Latin its "esse" is "percipi". He fully admits that the tree must continue to exist even when we shut our eyes or when no human being is near it. But this continued existence, he says, is due to the fact that G-d continues to perceive it; the 'real' tree, which corresponds to what we called the physical object, consists of ideas in the mind of G-d, ideas more or less like those we have when we see the tree, but differing in the fact that they are permanent in G-d's mind so long as the tree continues to exist. All our perceptions, according to him, consist in a partial participation in G-d's perceptions, and it is because of this participation that different people see more or less the same tree. Thus apart from minds and their ideas there is nothing in the world, nor is it possible that anything else should ever be known, since whatever is known is necessarily an idea.