Author Topic: Religious Simolaritys  (Read 5767 times)

Ryobi

• Realized Monster
  • As Above, So Below.
Re: Religious Simolaritys
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 03:08:54 pm »
Yeh man, I know what you mean. I grew up with organised religion and the only reason people believe another group of people are wrong is because of the different sect. Because it just can't be possible that another group of people are worshipping the same God in a slightly different way, using a slightly different text and under a different name.

A lot of those groups probably, comprehend that their beliefs are very similar, it's the differences between them that shine out more. It's because either side is going to be biased towards the other side and they don't want, nor need to know that they're fighting for the same thing.

Another possibility could be that; even if it becomes widely acknowledged that 2 religions are technically the same, this is a cultural thing now and it would continue to be a cultural issue, a small group of Muslims give birth to children who hate jews, a small group of Jews give birth to children who hate Muslims. It no longer has a religious meaning because; 'that muslim guy killed my jewish dad so this is now personal.' etc.
When I hear somebody sigh, "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask, "Compared to what?"

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 01:14:38 am »
We need to teach people that war isn't personal. In the battlefield anything can happen.
We can still hate the people that killed/raped/maimed/stole from those we know as INDIVIDUALS though. (joke post) *<:)
The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
But donít be afraid. And donít forget...
You hold the mightiest weapon of all.
-Kingdom Hearts

Ryobi

• Realized Monster
  • As Above, So Below.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 02:41:37 am »
By jove mate, you've got it!   :-D
When I hear somebody sigh, "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask, "Compared to what?"

Devinoir

• Realized Monster
  • I am what I am what I know I am not.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 02:54:21 am »
Religion is mostly propaganda.
Philosophy for people who in any other case wouldn't have any sense of morality and philosophy.
The subconscious dictatorship which is sometimes overthrown, but mostly - not.
There is I in every person,
Only long asleep...

ravinclaw

• Realized Monster
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 04:20:05 pm »
Mabey, but if there were no truth to it, why do so many people believe it?

could be because people are like sheep, and just waunt to be lead,

some people anyway.

I dont know, what if it is all true?
what if none of it is?

what if........frogs had wings.......they wouldnt bump their ass on the ground when they hop.
who knows?

Devinoir

• Realized Monster
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 11:14:38 pm »
Don't you realize that most people don't WANT to think, they want to be told - what to do, what to think.
Without religion there would be chaos, I think, or massive apathy, or an even more unactive society.
Think it like this - Religion Is Philosophy 4 Dummies
Only long asleep...

Ryobi

• Realized Monster
  • As Above, So Below.
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2009, 02:22:45 am »
Religion gives people a drive and most of the time a purpose. Deep down, usually that purpose is to serve, it could be one of the only forms of concious selflessness we have left, a lot of the time even that is corrupt.

Don't go losing faith in the world because of that though, because there are still so many left who take that service to God on board and serve him truly. The bible does re-enforce quite a few moral lessons we would be wise to follow and learn from, even if we don't follow christianity. The good samaritan was right to help others, the man who builds his house in a sand bank truly is an idiot and those who posess a strong spirit should be held in high regard despite lack of position in society (Mary Magdalene the prostitute).

The reasons morals exist is partly due to the bible, the reason many hesitate before they kill someone in cold blood is partly due to the commandment; 'You shall not murder'. As a western society we have been raised as Gods children despite our own personal views/preferences and the views/preferences of our parents. We grow up with an opinion on organised religion regardless of wether we have ever been a part of the church or not, because those ideas written down hundreds of years ago still affect us as people, no matter who we are.

That a book holds so much power, that the words of a dead man could become so sough-after is impressive and unfortunately I have to admit, I do follow those words partly because they are true and I partly believe that is the right way to act.

I don't agree with the entire idea but I don't doubt that Jesus existed nor that God was and still is a real force. Neither do I think that these lessons and stories should be ignored or those who follow organised religion, seen as sheep who just want to be told what to do.

Devinoir

• Realized Monster
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 03:11:55 am »
You ever read the book by Dali? He does the same trick as the Bible.
Only long asleep...

Ryobi

• Realized Monster
  • As Above, So Below.
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 07:36:10 pm »
No I didn't actually. What I find interesting about Dali is that, while he was alive the surrealist community refused to accept him as one of their own because his style wasn't what they deemed surreal. Yet here we are in the 21st Century, quoting him as the most famous and successful surrealists of all time.

How did he use to same trick as the bible?

Devinoir

• Realized Monster
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 09:54:12 am »
Well, look here.
In his book he states quite everywhere possible that he's a genius, he's great, probably the best one, that he's the most trustworthy source for artists, etc, etc - and that way - though it's funny at first, he gains authority in front of the other artists who do not state similar.. truths in their books.
That's a smart psychological trick.
Now, the ideas shown in the Bible are proclaimed by the God Himself, His Son, by angels - the rockstars of their time. Now who would more likely listen to - the God or some travelling and miserable wiseman?
For now, the role-models of the society define what it should be like, see. The Hollywood stars are the same for us as the Greek Gods once were for the world.
Only long asleep...

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 12:04:28 am »
Well, look here.
In his book he states quite everywhere possible that he's a genius, he's great, probably the best one, that he's the most trustworthy source for artists, etc, etc - and that way - though it's funny at first, he gains authority in front of the other artists who do not state similar.. truths in their books.
That's a smart psychological trick.
Now, the ideas shown in the Bible are proclaimed by the God Himself, His Son, by angels - the rockstars of their time. Now who would more likely listen to - the God or some travelling and miserable wiseman?
For now, the role-models of the society define what it should be like, see. The Hollywood stars are the same for us as the Greek Gods once were for the world.

And one of wotan's many aspects was teh wander. the wandering old man that help out with wise words and trinkets...............

God is Hobos.
-Kingdom Hearts

Ryobi

• Realized Monster
  • As Above, So Below.
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 01:14:35 am »
It is a very smart psychological trick Dev... even if God didn't right the old testament.

God is hobos, true dat ho.

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 04:21:21 am »
hmm, if god can be a smelly old man, den he can be anyone rieght?

HE IS EVERYONE!!!!!! or rather, anyone capable of unassumingly solving our problems and changing our problems via behavioral modification implemented by a short story and/or funny smell.

everyone knows i'm just kidding around here right?
-Kingdom Hearts

ravinclaw

• Realized Monster
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 09:33:45 am »
That actually made a little sence in a screwed up sort of a way.
funny though.

I have no doubt Jesus was a hell of a man and a hell of a philosofer and teacher, I respect him for that alone reguardless if he is the true son of god or not, but mankind has twisted the bible into a tool to control others. Christianity is no longer what it was meant to be, Priests and church leaders throughout the ages have modified the good book for personal gain, or gain for the church anyway, and long long ago the church had just as much authority as the government, monorchy or what ever you waunt to call it.

That was the whole reason for the Priests cant get maried thing, If they had any land, they would have no one to leave it to, so it would go to the church. Books were left out, things were added, It makes me wounder how much of it is origonal, and what happened to Judas' writings anyway, they left them out on purpose, but why? I know what he did, but he also followed along with the other, and surley he wrote some things too.

Its a trust issue with me, not against God himself but the church.

Devinoir

• Realized Monster
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 06:26:30 am »
Yeah. I think that Christianity is a great philosophy for the masses if properly understood, it is kinda revolutionary as the pagan gods mostly tolerated violence, and in that kind of a world a religion that neglects it is probably just perfect.
But I totally agree with you Ravin.
Only long asleep...