Author Topic: The last horror movie you saw?  (Read 52296 times)

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
Re: The last horror movie you saw?
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2012, 01:35:56 AM »
"Psycho" (1960)
              -Anthony Perkins

Plot: IMDB
Phoenix officeworker Marion Crane is fed up with the way life has treated her. She has to meet her lover Sam in lunch breaks and they cannot get married because Sam has to give most of his money away in alimony. One Friday Marion is trusted to bank $40,000 by her employer. Seeing the opportunity to take the money and start a new life, Marion leaves town and heads towards Sam's California store. Tired after the long drive and caught in a storm, she gets off the main highway and pulls into The Bates Motel. The motel is managed by a quiet young man called Norman who seems to be dominated by his mother.

Phantom's Review: Screenwriter Joseph Stefano and Director Alfred Hitchcock take Robert Bloch's novel and create what is arguably the greatest suspense thriller of all time. Perfectly cast, acted and filmed. this movie is damn near perfect. The last shot of Anthony Perkins staring at you is still terrifying. Very few films are truly worthy of the label "Classic", but this is a true classic from start to finish.
I am known in many realms by many names, but those that know me in your world call me the Phantom Stranger.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »
"Paranormal activity 3" (2011)

In 1988, young sisters Katie and Kristi befriend an invisible entity who resides in their home.

Phantom's Review: Entertaining prequel. The plot is basically the same as the first two films, but with a little faster pacing. Some good "BOO" scenes and the actors do a fine job, but this whole documentary style "found footage" type of movie is starting to wear a bit thin for me. Overall, a decent film.
--
I am known in many realms by many names, but those that know me in your world call me the Phantom Stranger.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »
"John Carter" (2012)

Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior.

Phantom's Review: Awesome. I loved this movie. Forget all the bad press and negative reviews, this is a fun old fashioned Sci-Fi movie. Good FX and a fun story. It makes me want to go and Re-Read all the novels again

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
"The Thing" (2011)

At an Antarctica research site, the discovery of an alien craft leads to a confrontation between graduate student Kate Lloyd and scientist Dr. Sander Halvorson. While Dr. Halvorson keeps to his research, Kate partners with Sam Carter, a helicopter pilot, to pursue the alien life form.

Phantom's Review: Decent, if totally unneeded, prequel to the John Carpenter classic. The main problem with prequels is you pretty much know how there going to end, unless of course, there set decades or centuries before (like the 3rd "Underworld" movie). This film tries to recreate the paranoid atmosphere the Carpenter film had, and does okay. Decent FX and acting make this an enjoyable time waster, but if you want a really good monster movie, watch the 1982 John Carpenter film, that's a modern era classic. 
--

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)

Monster Zero (1965)

Phantom's Review: Two of the best "Godzilla" films from the '60's. Great monster action, cool man in suit FX and lots of fun. Best scenes, in "Ghidorah" the monster conversation and in "Monster Zero", Godzilla's victory dance. A great double feature
--

Nina
« Reply #260 on: March 26, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »
The Awakening (2011)

In 1921, England is overwhelmed by the loss and grief of World War I. Hoax exposer Florence Cathcart visits a boarding school to explain sightings of a child ghost. Everything she believes unravels as the 'missing' begin to show themselves.

Loved the twist  :wink:

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
"The Brain That Wouldn't Die"(1962)

A doctor experimenting with transplant techniques keeps his girlfriend's head alive when she is decapitated in a car crash, then goes hunting for a new body.
--
Phantom's Review: I watched this on "The Monster Channel" a few days ago. It still a complete turd. One of the "best" bad movies ever made. Terrible acting, goofy story and truly awful FX. A crap classic.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »
The Night Stalker" (1972)
                        -Darren McGavin

Carl Kolchak is a newspaper reporter with an abrasive personality that has gotten him fired ten times from various big-city papers. Now he's reduced to reporting for a relatively small-time paper in Las Vegas. It's here he gets the story of his life. But will the local sheriff, or the D.A., or even his own boss, let him print it? He has an ally in the FBI agent brought in to investigate this strange case. It seems someone is biting the necks of young girls and draining their blood. Can this killer with supernormal powers really be a 70-year-old Rumanian millionaire? Can he really be a vampire? And can an aging reporter do anything to stop him?

Phantom's Review: One of TV's best horror films. Produced by Dan Curtis' (Dark Shadows) and starring Darren McGavin in one of his best roles. A great blend of classic vampire story with modern day sensibilities. (at least for 1972). Good atmosphere, acting and story. a classic.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:08 PM »
Captain Kronos-Vampire Hunter (1974)

Vampire hunter and expert swordsman Kronos finds himself in a small village where several of the local young women have been found in an advanced state of age, their youth drained from them by a vampire's kiss. Kronos' search leads him to the Durward estate where he is met by the effete children of the apparently aged and sick Lady Durward.

Phantom's review: Probably the last great film from the original version of Hammer Films. A very underrated film. Great action, plenty of atmosphere and an different take on the vampire legend. Sadly the proposed series of films never happened. It would have been interesting to see where they took the series.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
"Q The Winged Serpent" (1982)
                                  _David Carradine

New York police are bemused by a spate of reports of a giant flying lizard that has been spotted around the rooftops of New York, which they assume to be bogus until the lizard starts to eat people. An out-of-work, ex-con piano player is the only person who knows the location of the monster's nest and is determined to turn the knowledge to his advantage, but will his gamble pay off or will he end up as lizard food?

Phantom's Review: I remember seeing this film in theaters back in the early '80's and thinking what a piece of crap. Well thirty years have passed and I got to see it again recently and "what do you know" ......it's still a piece of crap. Terrible acting, even from good actors, average plot and the title monster is rarely seen. Perfect for a bad movie night.

--

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
"The Pirates! Band Of Misfits" (2012)
--------Hugh Grant

After years of humiliation and failed attempts to win the coveted Pirate of the Year Award, Pirate Captain and his oddball crew take on the cream of the pirating crop - Black Bellamy, Peg Leg Hastings and Cutlass Liz - in a race to pillage the most booty. They soon cross paths with lovelorn scientist Charles Darwin, who persuades the Captain that the crew's prized 'parrot', Polly, could be the answer to the 'untold riches' they are searching for. Their adventure takes them to Victorian London where they meet Darwin's sidekick 'man-panzee' Mister Bobo, and the notorious pirate-hating Queen Victoria herself. It soon unfolds that Darwin's motives for helping the crew are not what they seem, and the Queen has an evil hidden agenda of her own. The Pirate Captain must choose between basking in the glory of being crowned Pirate of the Year, or staying faithful to his trusted crew.

Phantom's Review: Wonderfully funny animated film from the folks that brought you "Chicken Run" and "Wallace And Gromitt". Well written and funny story, though it does get a little dark  towards the end (sort of like "Toy Story 3") good voice acting and some truly well made animation. Lots of little sight gags fill the film and make it even more enjoyable. Go see it if your in the mood for fun.
--

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #266 on: May 03, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
"Dracula" (1974)
               -Jack Palance

Plot: You know, if you don't know the plot of "Dracula" what are you doing at a horror site?

Phantom's Review: Well made, if not great version of the Bram Stoker classic. Jack Palance is perfectly cast as the count. If I remember right this was the first Dracula film to directly tie in the Vlad The Impaler legend with vampire story and Palance really does seem like an old warrior. Produced and directed by Dan Curtis, the film does occasionally feel like a large episode of "Dark Shadows"but it still is a worthwhile effort.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
"The Avengers" (2012)

Phantom's Review: Simply Awesome! The best comic book action movie I have ever seen. All the heroes get plenty of screen time,interesting story, great FX and plenty of action. Superb, now if only the comics were as good.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
"Treasure Island" (2012)
                         -Eddie Izzard

Young Jim Hawkins is the only one who can sucessfully get a schooner to a legendary Island known for buried Treasure. But aboard the ship is a mysterious cook named John Silver, whose true motivation on the journey challenges Jim's trust in the entire crew.

Phantom's Review: Decent, if a bit overly long version of the Stevenson classic. All the actors do a fine job and it's nice to see a wide range of accents among the pirates, but a four hours the film tends to drag in a few places. Not a very faithful adaptation, but still worth a viewing.

Phantom Stranger

• High Priest
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
"Dark Shadows" (2012)
               -Johnny Depp

Plot: After almost 200 years of sleep, vampire Barnabas Collins reawakens in 1972 to battle the evil (but gorgeous) witch who cursed him, help his descendents rebuild their fortune, find his lost love and generally deal with the strange new world he now finds himself in.

Phantom's Review: First, let me say I love the original "Dark Shadows", been a fan for decades, so when I first heard that Depp and Burton were going to do a film version I got very excited I'm a fan of them and I like their style, but then I saw the first few previews and I saw a comedy not a Gothic Horror movie, but I went and saw it anyway and much to my surprise I loved it. The film does have some comedic moments, but they seem natural since they mostly deal with Barnabas trying to figure out his new world. There are some really decent BOO! scenes, great FX and the film really tries to keep the atmosphere and spirit (no pun intended) of the original show. The whole cast does a great job with their characters. My only main complaint is a late film reveal about the Carolyn character that really goes nowhere and the original "Dark Shadows" music is only barely hinted at in the soundtrack. Outside of that really enjoyed this film.