The Animal Within > Monstrous Animals

Maggots

(1/2) > >>

Voo:
A new study has revealed that maggots can do a better job than surgeons at removing dead tissue from wounds.

A Perth conference has heard the year-long Tasmanian study used sterile maggots on patients with leg ulcers.

Many of the patients had diseases such as diabetes, which made surgery dangerous.

One of the authors of the study, Dr Alvin Cham, says maggots can clean slow-healing wounds more accurately than surgeons.

"All we can see is what the naked eyes can see, so we just take away whatever we think is unhealthy," he said.

"We might under-remove or over-remove but maggots, all they do is just clean up dead tissue."

Dr Cham says using maggots allows patients to avoid surgery.

"The patients that we see with leg ulcers and chronic wounds, they're generally unwell, diabetic, and have circulation problems affecting not only their leg, but their heart," he said.

"If you reduce the incidence of going to surgery and have general anaesthetic, then they have a protective effect... less risk factors."

© 2005 ABC

maggot man:
Lol! Truly,I did well in naming myself after the humble but yet so beneficial  maggot.

lovenrock243:
but isn't that kinda old ?? i sweer i herd that about a year ago???? lol o0o well i would like to be awake for that

sybon?:
im pretty sure you just dreamed it

Zak Roy Yoballa:
Lovenrock is right I've heard of this before.  I remember something about maggots not eating live tissue and ONLY eating dead tissue.  Makes it safer and more efficient.  Don't know if I could handle a maggot chewing on me though (no offense maggot man) .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version