MonsterVision > Modern Horror

Hulk Review

(1/1)

monstr:
The Hulk, directed by Mamaroneck's Ang Lee, may be the most hyped movie of the summer. Chances are you've heard something about it, positive or negative, comparing it to Lee’s previous action films or to other comic book adaptations. Rest assured, The Hulk is not your average comic book movie, but it isn't your average Ang Lee movie either.

To be fair, it’s hard to pigeon-hole an Ang Lee film. He’s directed family portraits (Eat Drink Man Woman), comedies (Wedding Banquet), and period dramas from the 1800’s (Sense and Sensibility) to the 1970’s (The Ice Storm). His last production, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, was a heady mixture of foreign and martial arts, crossed with period and fantasy drama – and it was a huge success. With The Hulk, Lee takes a giant step away from these previous styles and into his first comic book film. Yet I stepped into the New Roc theater very excited, because I had seen and loved many of Lee's earlier films, and I had trust that he wouldn’t let me down with The Hulk.

I heard a lot of comparisons between The Hulk and other recent comic book films, like Batman or Daredevil. For me, the comparison is easy; The Hulk beats them all. Not only does it have better directing, acting, and cinematography, but it manages to feel more like a comic book.

In this “comic” story, Bruce Banner (Eric Bana) is a conflicted scientist, haunted by a past that finally catches up to him when Dad (Nick Nolte) triggers his transformation into a gigantic green monster. The actual green monster looks pretty good; he’s probably the most realistic looking CGI (Computer Generated Image) creation I've seen, but still is not entirely convincing.

The Hulk doesn't have as much action as in other recent comic book films. The action peaks at a spectacular desert fight where Banner takes on a group of tanks and helicopters, but the action isn't what makes The Hulk great. Ang Lee greatly stresses parent/child relationships during the movie, and brilliantly portrays Banner's pent up rage through mesmerizing flashbacks and dream sequences.

The father, David Banner, is the "villain" in the film. David's story is intriguing, and Nolte's acting is excellent. His guilt as a father and as a scientist boils over and turns him into a character with as much duality as the man/moster "hero" of the film. Another father/child relationship comes from Bruce's love interest, played by Jennifer Connelly, and her father, a general in charge of taking down the Hulk.

The editing is also excellent. Lee often splits the screen into panels, like one would see in a comic book. This adds to both the comic book feel and the flow of the film.

So why is a film with such great elements receiving mixed reactions? There are some things about the film that a viewer has to accept to appreciate The Hulk. Many people went into the theatre expecting to see another popcorn movie, a light action flic requiring little thought. When The Hulk didn’t conform to expectations, some viewers may have been disappointed and unable to appreciate the subtler parts of the film.

"A big-budget comic-book adaptation has rarely felt so humorless and intellectually defensive about its own pulpy roots," says Lisa Schwarzbaum of Entertainment Weekly. She doesn't understand that The Hulk wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to be meaningful. Some reviewers get the point, though. Geoff Pevere of the Toronto Star writes that The Hulk is "as smart and expressive as the medium that spawned it."

If you’re looking for a speedy diversion, or another Spider-man, or you just want to see a big green man smash things, this is not your film. The Hulk is slow, but I enjoyed every second of it and you will too if you’re ready for a thoughtful sci-fi film.

StarLord:
The only problem I had with the Hulk film was the origin was a tad too similar to the origin used in the Bill Bixby TV show.  I would have liked an origin closer to the comic book.  Why can't Bruce Banner be working on an explosive device?  It seemed a holdover from the 1970, when people working on weapons systems were considered the bad guy by the younger generation.
In the comics Bruce's father was depectied as being abusive, so I can buy this angle.  And the direction didn't bother me as much as some people complained about.  I only wished the origin weren't so mangled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version