Apocalypse Soon > The End

Multifaith Guide To The End Times

<< < (3/8) > >>

Raziel:
Cool which traditions do your family members practice. As I understand it, there are variations and disagreements upon the nature of some things.

ViciouslyMe:
I honestly don't believe any religion will be the "correct" one. In the end, its not about religion. Its about the teachings themselves. Not the worshiping or anything, but the kind of person you are. Stupid to say, but I think its closer to the truth.

ravinclaw:
AWBrielle, I think you make a pretty remarkable point. Most of the world could be worshiping the same thing but are too closed minded to consider it possible.....ironic aint it:-D  But then again what the hell do i know.

AWBrielle:

--- Quote from: Raziel on March 31, 2011, 06:17:43 PM ---Cool which traditions do your family members practice. As I understand it, there are variations and disagreements upon the nature of some things.

--- End quote ---

A very good point. Some call Shiva the ultimate God, others call Vishnu the ultimate God, and so on and so forth; the members of my family who practice Hinduism believe that there's a single entity, but all deities, so to speak, are incarnations of that singular deity. As one cannot know God, they cannot identify him. (I'm speaking purely based off of what I know they believe, here.)

--- Quote from: ravinclaw on April 01, 2011, 01:55:55 PM ---AWBrielle, I think you make a pretty remarkable point. Most of the world could be worshiping the same thing but are too closed minded to consider it possible.....ironic aint it:-D  But then again what the hell do i know.

--- End quote ---

Thank you! And the way I see it is that there's one ocean, but many names. There are various rules so as to allow people to reach a specific understanding about their purpose, or whatever they're to know; I don't think it has anything to do with worship, rather, with the self, but that's just my opinion. Either way, some people just take their stuff too seriously.

All right, I'll stop my 3-AM preaching.

rave phillaphia:
you need to read up on Hinduism a bit more. There is no "Ultimate God". There is a quote from Hindu scripture (I will look up if it is Vedic or Purana later) that discusses how there are over 300,000 deities, then there are only 13, then there are only 11, then there are only 7, then there are only 4, then there are only 3, then there is only 1, then who are the other 300,000? Basically there is ultimate reality, which lay outside of the cycle of rebirth (samsara) and liberation from this cycle is moksa. Then like in the previously stated quote there is one God, but this is a concept more so than a God. Brahman is the ultimate 'God'. Brahma (God of Creation), Visnu (God of Balance), Siva (God of Destruction), all are equally capable of creating, destroying, and granting boons. There is also the Goddess, who goes by Devi or Durga. Sometimes she is in place instead of Brahma as one of the top because she is worshipped more. The Goddess is the manifestation of Sakti (power), also maya (illusion) and prktri. It depends but a Hindu would say, I worship this Deity as the Ultimate to Brahman, NOT as the Ultimate God. It is not like western religions (ex. Zeus as ultimate God).

If you want a good book about Hindu mythology read "Classical Hindu Mythology: A Reader in the Sanskrit Puranas" edited and translated by Cornelia Dimmitt and J.A.B. van Buitenen.

All religions acknowledge birth, life and death. People create stories about how in the unjust times the earth will reharmonize itself because they have hope it will change. Ultimately humans recognize that they are not in control that is why they create these stories.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version