The Darker Side > Human Monsters

Apathy Versus Evil

(1/3) > >>

Venuscore:
Humans have a tendency to categorize everything. When viewing our emotions on any given topic, all can be placed into three categories: we like it, don't like it, or don't care.

In basic terms, liking something usually means it's not at threat by our hands, but what of the other two? Is caring, even in a negative way better for the subject than feeling nothing? Without something to hate people feel lost, there is no balance for our positive feelings. Everything seems to need what I'll refer to as the cosmic balance.

Also, by hating something, we give it purpose. We give it a reaction in its world, which is the basis of existence- action and reaction. It acted, we reacted.

So assuming a balance is necessary, which I do, if we hate something, we're most likely to continue hating it, as feelings usually don't change without a change in the subject. We will hold that hate and therefore hold that being in our thoughts, which isn't the same as an existence, but still holds some characteristics of existence. Some beings need our acceptance of their existence, be it positive or negative, to fuel their existence in our world, like demons or spirits. Correct me on this if I'm wrong, please.

Keeping on the topic of hate for a moment longer, to view an option of action we have, we may fight it, but our emotions are involved, so usually our primary goal is to turn it into something we can like, something we can appreciate, or at least tolerate. Keeping this in mind, when we come across something we feel nothing for, we are most likely to ignore it and therefore it has no opportunity for growth or death or anything through our energy channel for it, therefore perpetuating its lack of impact to others who come across whatever it may be.

Essentially I'm asking all of you if it is better to hate something than to feel nothing for it at all?

Raziel:
depends. If the subject is of import, emotions are a good way on focusing on it. However if clarity and arbitrary judgment  is needed then emotions tend to get in the way of a fair analysis.

Hating or disliking something is fine. Even if it seems illogical. Its what makes us who we are. Its our little quirks like this that make us human. To love all is to be a god, to dislike everything is to be a............. Necron. (warhammer 60k look it up)

Ergo it is your prerogative to care or to hate or to not give a flying frak about. This is why religion fails. It tries to shape your beliefs for you.

It is your own responsibility to develop your world view, you may hate demons even if they are cute cuddly colorful creatures known as tellitubiees.
Or smurfs. Whatever you like or dislike, remember to do your research so that you do not look like a fool when the reasons you like/dislike something turn out to be all wrong.

Scientific method or something.

To like or dislike is an opinion.  You may share it but you cannot shove  it down someone's gullet. They'd puke it back up and you'd start to stink.

Venuscore:
You have made great points but I feel the question was slightly missed. I'm contemplating which is worse for a subject, to hate it or to feel nothing toward it. essentially which is more damaging to the subject. I do not question the importance of both positive and negative emotions in life and I surely understand the pitfalls of religion and forcing someone's judgments.

I suppose I'm questioning the power of apathy versus the power of hatred. Which is a more formidable foe?

v*

Raziel:
Foe? These are not enemies, but tools. To believe that one is greater than the other is a most grievous folly indeed.
For would you use a sledge hammer or a door to open a peanut? A Cleaver to fillet a fish? A spoon to peel potatoes??(actually i would do the last one.... but only if it was as sharp spoon.)

Apathy is to ignore  an attribute or to not care, to hate is to focus and to give purpose and strength to yourself to eliminate or hurt something.
Both are useful when applied properly but neither is intrinsically better than the other.

So unless you have a specific scenario in mind. You might as well be asking Which is better? Apples or oranges.

Venuscore:
I'm not expecting answers set in stone, simply a discussion in which there are two equal sides. It's like asking someone if they would rather kill with a gun or knife. Republican or democrat. As you stated, apples or oranges.

Both apathy and hatred are emotions we choose (some would debate whether apathy was an emotion, which if you'd like to I'd love to get into it, but I digress), but there are reasons for choosing each, and one usually chooses something because in their mind it's better suited in some way. The topic delves away from the logical and into the philosophical, but of course there is no philosophy without logic.

Here's an example: I would much rather have someone hate me than feel nothing towards me. Hating me would show that I stirred something in them, I inspired them to an emotion, whereas apathy means they found nothing significant in my existence. Apathy is stronger than hatred here.

Here is another: When dealing with the spirit world, it is commonly said to distance yourself until you feel nothing for a 'presence' if you wish to be rid of it. It is said that any emotion felt because of the presence will feed its energy and if you want it gone, this will not help. In this case apathy is stronger again.

I have held conversations about the power of apathy before, and I find it a stirring topic, because many see no power in it while others see infinite. I simply want to know which you consider a better tool. A specific situation would probably be necessary, but for some, looking at it in terms of philosophy is sufficient.

Relate it to yourself, if you'd like. Which is easier for you to deal with from others when directed at you? Which do you show more often to others and why? Do you cover hatred with apathy or vice versa? Too many questions, answer at your own will. I am simply trying to help you see why I find a point in discussing this topic.

I'm sorry if the topic seems odd to you. I tend to be interested in the odd.
 :mrgreen:
v*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version