Author Topic: Online Gamers Crack AIDS Puzzle  (Read 505 times)

TeteoInan

• Great Master
Online Gamers Crack AIDS Puzzle
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »
I stumbled across this earlier in one of the magazines at my Dr's office:

"Who says gaming isn't useful? It took players of the online game Foldit - who had no background in biochemistry - less than 10 days to solve a molecular mystery that had stumped AIDS experts for nearly 10 years. Tinkering with 3-D computer models, gamers were able to work out the intricately folded structure of a key enzyme that allows an HIV-like virus to proliferate. Knowing its shape lets researchers fiigure out how to target the enzyme with new drug treatments."

I did a little bit more research just a few minutes ago and was able to come up with quite a few articles ( this is the one I think does the best job for being so short ): http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-2357351.html
"Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on a bicycle."

ViciouslyMe

• Realized Monster
  • <( ")> Obey Me
Re: Online Gamers Crack AIDS Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »
Yeah, heard about this long ago, thought it was really cool.
"Intelligence is the flower of discrimination. There are many examples of the flower blooming but not bearing fruit."

"True warriors are humble men"

Nina
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
Heh, woot woot gamers huh? :wink:

TeteoInan

• Great Master
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
Yeah, heard about this long ago, thought it was really cool.

I had to be bored enough to read a magazine to hear about it.  *<:)

Heh, woot woot gamers huh? :wink:

Definitely!!
"Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on a bicycle."