Author Topic: Reverend Jim Jones & The People's Temple, killercult that killed 900 people  (Read 11048 times)

Amaya

• High Priest
Re: Reverend Jim Jones & The People's Temple, killercult that killed 900 people
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 05:05:28 PM »
Eh, everybody believes they're the good guys. . .
Not everybody. I believe I am a terrible person but I have issues with myself....

7VII7

• High Priest
  • 'Cause if ya don't I'll eat ya!
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »
Okay, hypothetical question: You owned a factory when the depression hits, you have to make cuts somewhere, what do you do?
I have multiple personalities, one is a were-Sheepenguin, one is a fruit vampire, one likes to imagine cruel and unusal totures, that one's name is Bob the VI.

baa.

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
Try to figure out who needs their jobs most, find ways to avoid cutting people (ex. cut back on paper, supplies, etc.), if anything try to cut pay before cutting people?

7VII7

• High Priest
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 05:31:39 PM »
you can cut anything, the fact is you need to cut costs but I need a specific example for this to work.
I have multiple personalities, one is a were-Sheepenguin, one is a fruit vampire, one likes to imagine cruel and unusal totures, that one's name is Bob the VI.

baa.

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 05:45:08 PM »
Okay, supplies. Most businesses waste a lot anyway. I would tell people to conserve on paper, tools, etc. Anywhere that will not cause a hindrance to everyone involved will work. Also, I would have the people think of more creative ways to conserve that I missed.

Does that answer work?

7VII7

• High Priest
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 06:10:46 PM »
Sure, you think that's a good thing to do right? Well not everybody  :-D

Ahem; please take a pick of the following scenarios:
(personally I think 2's the best and 3's most realistic)

1)Lacking the supplies they normally had, enough to waste, they need to be extra careful with the supplies they do have, this leads to more time to do stuff, which leads to overtime, which leads to unhappy workers, but that's not all. After the extra long and extra careful work somebody comes up with the finished project, instead of combing over it for mistakes he's overcofident he didn't make any mistakes, well he made a mistake and it ends up costing your company money, lots of money, all because of your stupid regulations. This leads to other cuts, eventually you can't cut anything else and you have to fire people, boom, your a bad person.

2)New regulations have been set up regulating the use of pens, paper, etc. Suddenly there's a whole bunch of red tape to go through everytime Nameless Worker A wants another thing of staples for his stapler, after a couple days of this he goes "screw it," and begins just taking what he needs. Months past but eventually his repeated infractions atract attention when it's time to check the books, well they add up and just reach the point where according to your regulations he has to be disciplined, so he gets a pay deduction, well angry at this he begins to get reckless on the job, which leads to more fines, this snowballs until he needs to be fired, and so he's fired. Let's say Nameless Worker A was an up-and-comer, gooooing places, until he get's fired that is. He's depressed, he drinks, he becomes an alcoholic, time passes in general misery for him and those around him, finally he can't take it anymore so he tries to jump off a reaaaaaaaaaally tall building, he gets talked down. He then gets into rehab & turns his life around, once that's all done he goes on the talk show circut, there he tells his story. Boom, your suddenly the person who caused him to do all that over some measely staples.

3) Like the others you set up new regulations, this leads to it taking longer hours at the office, less time with the family, Nameless Worker B misses little Suzzy's first steps. Boom you're scrooge, at least to one family.

There you see, you thought you were doing something good but other people have other opinions.

baa.

blow_fly

• Realized Monster
  • An extremely curious person
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 05:30:46 AM »
There you see, you thought you were doing something good but other people have other opinions.

I couldn't agree more. When you seriously consider it, morality is really a matter of perception more than anything else. 
''Come on, I want you to do it, I want you to do it. Come on, hit me. *Hit me!''

-The Joker to Batman, The Dark Knight

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »
Sure, you think that's a good thing to do right? Well not everybody  :-D

Ahem; please take a pick of the following scenarios:
(personally I think 2's the best and 3's most realistic)

1)Lacking the supplies they normally had, enough to waste, they need to be extra careful with the supplies they do have, this leads to more time to do stuff, which leads to overtime, which leads to unhappy workers, but that's not all. After the extra long and extra careful work somebody comes up with the finished project, instead of combing over it for mistakes he's overcofident he didn't make any mistakes, well he made a mistake and it ends up costing your company money, lots of money, all because of your stupid regulations. This leads to other cuts, eventually you can't cut anything else and you have to fire people, boom, your a bad person.

2)New regulations have been set up regulating the use of pens, paper, etc. Suddenly there's a whole bunch of red tape to go through everytime Nameless Worker A wants another thing of staples for his stapler, after a couple days of this he goes "screw it," and begins just taking what he needs. Months past but eventually his repeated infractions atract attention when it's time to check the books, well they add up and just reach the point where according to your regulations he has to be disciplined, so he gets a pay deduction, well angry at this he begins to get reckless on the job, which leads to more fines, this snowballs until he needs to be fired, and so he's fired. Let's say Nameless Worker A was an up-and-comer, gooooing places, until he get's fired that is. He's depressed, he drinks, he becomes an alcoholic, time passes in general misery for him and those around him, finally he can't take it anymore so he tries to jump off a reaaaaaaaaaally tall building, he gets talked down. He then gets into rehab & turns his life around, once that's all done he goes on the talk show circut, there he tells his story. Boom, your suddenly the person who caused him to do all that over some measely staples.

3) Like the others you set up new regulations, this leads to it taking longer hours at the office, less time with the family, Nameless Worker B misses little Suzzy's first steps. Boom you're scrooge, at least to one family.

:lol: I didn't say that though and not everybody is going to agree with every decision you make. You said everybody thinks they're doing to right thing and I told you that I usually second guess my decisions and weigh them out. I agree with out on the majority level.

I couldn't agree more. When you seriously consider it, morality is really a matter of perception more than anything else. 
I agree as well. It is perception, nothing more, and nobody can tell you what to believe is right or wrong. That is where a lot of people get into trouble, when they want people to teach them morality.

7VII7

• High Priest
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
technically you said, and I qoute:
I believe I am a terrible person but I have issues with myself....
[/quote]

baa.

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
technically you said, and I qoute:
I believe I am a terrible person but I have issues with myself....
[/quote]
Eh...twas close enough. My main point was that there are some people that feel like they can't do anything right. I know a lot of them and I can be one myself.

7VII7

• High Priest
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 02:57:23 PM »
Ok, let me rephrase that, everybody that does something thinks they're the good guys, heck even hitler probbably thought he was doing the right thing. . .

baa.

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »
Ok, let me rephrase that, everybody that does something thinks they're the good guys, heck even hitler probbably thought he was doing the right thing. . .
Hitler did think they were doing the right thing. He thought he was saving Germany.

Okay, thanks for the rephrase. I think we both misunderstood each other due to misphrasing.