Author Topic: Forms of Torture  (Read 21028 times)

Amaya

• High Priest
Re: Forms of Torture
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 08:44:23 AM »
Wow. I like that one. I think it's my favorite so far. It reminds me of the myth of Prometheus.

PantheraLeo

• Weres
  • Young Beast
  • Ursus Leo...the Lion Bear
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 05:31:16 AM »
Another, which I think a few may be interested in.

Cannibalism

Practised by some African tribes earlier this century, this method of execution was a traditional rite inflicted upon those committing adultery. After judgment had been passed by the village elders, the doomed couple were stripped naked and tied to posts sunk deep in the ground, about four feet apart, staring at each other. Water, but no food, was given to them, the water being heavily salted.

After twenty-four hours the man would be asked whether he wanted any food. Regardless of his reply, the executioner, wielding a panga, a long, wide-bladed knife, would slice off a portion of the woman's breast and force it into the man's mouth, his assistant staunching the gaping wound to prevent too much loss of blood. The action would then be repeated in reverse, the woman being fed with some of her lovers flesh.

The procedure, watched by all the villagers, would continue, the executioner prolonging the ordeal by taking care not to sever arteries or cut vital organs with his panga, until one of the victims died. When that occurred, the corpses flesh would be fed to the other until he or she also expired.

An instance of rather different character took place in the 1930s in the village of Afik-Itu in Nigeria. The headman, Epe, had developed a taste for human flesh and, having complete authority over the village, condemned offenders to death with his appetite in mind.

The victims were trussed like chickens, sharp hooks being thrust through their back muscles so that, attached to chains, they could be swung over a roaring fire from a tripod. There they were roasted alive as if on a spit. When done to a turn, the bodies were cut down, to be eaten by Epe and others, the headman selecting the choicest morsels, the livers, for himself.

Although reports of the atrocities filtered through the British authorities, punitive expeditions proved futile, and it was many years before Epe was tracked down and brought to justice.

Execution - A guide to the ultimate penalty Geoffrey Abbot

Leo
~~An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass~~

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 08:42:41 AM »
How romantic, in a weirdly twisted way. I'm showing this to my beloved...

PantheraLeo

• Weres
  • Young Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »
Mazzatello

Widely employed in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Italy, this was probably one of the most brutal methods of execution ever devised, requiring minimal skill on the part of the executioner and superhuman acquiescence by the victim.

The standard procession brought the victim and his confessor on to the scaffold, where waited the black-clad and masked executioner leaning on a long handled mallet, the mazzatello. After prayers had been said for the salvation of the condemned man's soul, the executioner would move round to stand behind the fellon and, after a couple of preliminary swings of the weapon, would bring it down with crushing force on the victim's head. That done, he would kneel over the crumpled, figure on the scaffold boards and, producing his knife, would then proceed to slit the unconscious man's throat.

I have a feeling Kreep's will like this, not sure why....
~~An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass~~

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »
Interesting...when you said Italian I thought you were going to say another I heard about...... :evil:

PantheraLeo

• Weres
  • Young Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
If you give the name I'll see if its in the book. If so I'll gladly put it up  :-P

Leo

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »
I have a feeling Kreep's will like this, not sure why....

Damn right I like it. That's an awesome way of killing people...Knock 'em out and slit their throat.
Badass. :-D

PantheraLeo

• Weres
  • Young Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »
See Kreep's, we know you well :-P

Leo

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »
If you give the name I'll see if its in the book. If so I'll gladly put it up  :-P

Leo

I'll see if I can find it...All I know is that it was Italian. I've been looking and I can't find it either...

PantheraLeo

• Weres
  • Young Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
In the mean time...

Thousand Cuts

Known in China as 'Ling-chy', in the west by such titles as 'the slicing process' and 'cutting into ten thousand pieces', death by a thousand cuts was without doubt one of the most horrendous methods of execution. Nor is it a relic of ancient and barbaric history, for even as recently as the Chinese Communist uprising of 1927-28 such atrocities took place, it being reported in The Times in December 1929 of opponents being dispatched 'by the slicing process'.

On the scaffold, near the victim who was secured to a cross stood table upon which was a basket covered with a cloth. In the basket was a large collection of razor-sharp knives, each marked with the name of a part of the human anatomy. The procedure that followed was hideously simple, for the executioner then slipped his hand under the cloth covering and, withdrawing a knife, proceeded to sever the appropriate limb or portion of flesh, mutilating the victim until, either by luck or having been bribed by relatives, the knife donating the heart was drawn out, to bring a merciful end to the suffering.

Later, possibly to prevent such early terminations of the victim's agony, the method was modified, only one knife being used to amputate, one slice at a time in strict sequence, the various parts of the body. The fleshy parts - thighs, calves and breasts - were dealt with first, followed by appendages such as the nose, ears, fingers and toes. Skillfully wielding the knife, the executioner then methodically cut threw the wrist and ankle joins, severing hands and feet, and likewise through the elbows, shoulders and hips. Finally, despite the victim's life being all but extinguished, he ended the butchery by stabbing the man through the heart, and decapitating him. A detailed eye-witness account was given by the explorer Thomas Meadows in his book The Chinese and their Rebellions, written in 1856:

'The executioner proceeded, with a single dagger or knife, to cut up the man on the cross, whose sole clothing consisted of wide trousers, rolled down to his hips and up his buttocks. He was a strongly made man, above middle size, and apparently about forty years old. The authorities had captured him by seizing his parents and wife, when he surrendered, as well as to save them from torture as to secure them the seven thousand dollars for his apprehension.

As the man was at a distance of twenty-five yards with his side towards us, though we observed the two cuts across his forehead, the cutting of his left breast and slicing of the flesh from the front of his thighs, we could not see all the horrible operation. From the first stroke of the  knife til the moment the body was cut down from the cross and decapitated, about four or five minutes elapsed.'

The 'thousand cuts' of the title is of course an exaggeration, none the less horrific for all that, for another author, James Gray, wrote in 1878 that those guilty of minor offenses received a mere eight cuts before being beheaded, whereas others who had committed more serious crimes endured as many as a hundred and twenty slices of their limbs and flesh. Visiting the scene shortly after the execution of a rebel, Tai Chee-Kwei, Gray inspected the pieces of the dismembered body lying around, or which 'the hands and feet were among the most conspicuous portions'. Nor were the remains given a decent burial, they were thrown into a nearby hole and unceremoniously buried.

As to be expected in a country as large as China, many variations of Ling-chy existed, not all of them resulting in the virtual dismantling of the victim's body.

One such method, practiced in the last century in a remote village near Canton, was witnessed by Eugene Victor, a visitor to the nearby British mission. He described how a thief had been tied to an upright cross so that his arms extended beyond the extremities of the cross-piece. The executioner then approached and, with a single powerful blow of his sword, dexterously amputated each of the felon's hands at the wrist. Immediately, his assistant came forward and quickly cauterized the gaping wounds with a flaming torch so that his superior could commence the next phase. The witness admitted that he watched this with horrified fascination, for the execution then took a razor-sharp knife and proceeded to make fine incisions in the victim's flesh, starting at the man's shoulders and cutting down to the ankles. 'So keen the blade,' Victor wrote, 'that the myriad of cuts bled very little, and the screaming criminal was soon covered with fine red lines as if his skin had been painted in that fashion. And the executioner continued his task with such deliberate and deft strokes, that it was many hours before the victim, writhing in agony, finally succumbed'

Painful....

Leo

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 04:23:23 PM »
Reminds me of the week I got ten paper cuts in the art room. Nasty and painful. Depending on how deep or shallow the wounds are that really could be torture.

Countess

• Great Master
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »
Something I just thought of is a device called something like "pair of lay". It is actually an extreme version of the speculum used by gynacologists. It is insirted into the mouth, vagina, or anus of the victim & slowly cranked open until it splits the oriface open & in the case of the mouth version, seperating the mandible from the maxilla.

Countess

• Great Master
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 07:32:14 PM »
I think so, it turns out it was used in an Episode of Bones the other night.

PantheraLeo

• Weres
  • Young Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 01:46:47 PM »
This one is rather interesting to say the least...

Sewn in an Animal's Belly

In this century current methods of execution are well known - hanging, the electric chair, the gas chamber, and so on - it being accepted that to a greater or lesser extent they are carried out with as much respect for human decency as possible.

But in the time of the Greek Writer Lucian (AD 117-180) many more bizarre and revolting methods were in force, one of which he included in his Dialogues of the Dead. It was the account of proceedings held to decide the penalty to be inflicted on a Christian martyr, a woman, one official saying:

'We must discover some sort of death whereby this maiden may endure long-drawn and bitter torment; so let us kill this ass and afterwards cut open its belly, and after removing the inwards, shut up the girl inside in such a way that only her head be left outside (this to prevent her being entirely suffocated) while the rest of her body be hid within the carcass.

Then, when this has been sewn up, let us expose them both to the vultures - a strange meal prepared in a new and strange manner. Now just consider the nature of this torture, I beg you. To begin with, a living woman will be sut up in a dead ass; then by reason of the heat of the sun she will be roasted within its belly; further she will be tormented with mortal hunger, yet entirely unable to destroy herself. Yet other features of her agony, both from the stench of the dead body as it rots, and the swarm of writhing worms, I say nothing of. Lastly, the vultures that feed on the carcass will ren in pieces the living woman at the same time.'

All shouted assent to this monstrous proposal, and unanimously approved its being put into execution.

Amaya

• High Priest
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »
Odd one. Kinda reminds me of my strange phobia of food inside of other food.