Author Topic: Is The Devil Actually Evil?  (Read 21727 times)

Strife

• Great Master
Re: Is The Devil Actually Evil?
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »
it would be a long ass summer lol

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »
it would be a long ass summer lol

Longer than your spelling score. Anyway.
The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
But donít be afraid. And donít forget...
You hold the mightiest weapon of all.
-Kingdom Hearts

Strife

• Great Master
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »
oh come on man......that isnt cool at all, i see where my mistake was, but thats just one mistake.......

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »
What are you talking about? All I'm saying is "There are just that many theories." :wink:
-Kingdom Hearts

KubeSix

• Realized Monster
  • Personal Text goes here.
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »
no its not:

Lucifer is a Latin word, literally meaning "light-bearer", that was used as a name for the "day star" or "morning star" that precedes the rising of the sun.

wikipedia

i know, i just luv to quote  :-D

To post content on Wikipedia, you need sources. If not, it's considered vandalism and the changes are undone. Along with that, the vandal is banned from Wikipedia... (Yeah, I tried.. Got my high school's network banned :-P) In other words, people need to trust that site a little more. You can see the sources at the end of the articles.
Seek not beauty in battle. Seek not beauty in death. Consider not your own life. If you wish to protect that which must be protected, then strike when your opponent's back is turned.

Muerte

• Realized Monster
  • Welcome to the worst nightmare of all... reality!
    • www.myspace.com/drkhrt_2
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »
  An entity other than Lucifer.  If this were plausible, then that could mean there is an entity that is Gods equal, it has just never been mentioned before.  Why?  Because a being that represents itself as the "ALL" would not want to acknowledge another being that wielded such power, that would undermine its authority.  It causes me to wonder what such a being could be and if there could be some reference hidden somewhere.  After all, an entity that could stand against God would find a way to get to us would it not?

Personaly I would like to see what the other one has to offer.  I see our current choice and it leaves me feeling wanting.
In remembrance of Moonbaby, one of the brightest and most glorious stars to ever grace the Monstrous community.  Missed you will be, forgotten NEVER.

KubeSix

• Realized Monster
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2009, 04:42:07 PM »
I hear the Vatican Secret Archives has lots of books they wouldn't want you to read. If such texts exist, they'd most likely be there or in long forgotten ruins I think..
Seek not beauty in battle. Seek not beauty in death. Consider not your own life. If you wish to protect that which must be protected, then strike when your opponent's back is turned.

Muerte

• Realized Monster
  • Welcome to the worst nightmare of all... reality!
    • www.myspace.com/drkhrt_2
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2009, 09:50:09 PM »
I hear the Vatican Secret Archives has lots of books they wouldn't want you to read. If such texts exist, they'd most likely be there or in long forgotten ruins I think..

And the truth of that statement is what makes it so vexing, at least it did when I was younger, so at age 16 I decided to join the military immediately after graduation.  Not because I didn't want college, but because I knew that I would need both time and money to pursue my quest for the truth.  I will retire at age 39 ladies and gentlemen, and then I will have all of the time I need in my quest for the truth.
In remembrance of Moonbaby, one of the brightest and most glorious stars to ever grace the Monstrous community.  Missed you will be, forgotten NEVER.

Grendelion

• Young Beast
  • I'm a man of few words but a monster of many.
« Reply #173 on: September 18, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
  An entity other than Lucifer.  If this were plausible, then that could mean there is an entity that is Gods equal, it has just never been mentioned before.  Why?  Because a being that represents itself as the "ALL" would not want to acknowledge another being that wielded such power, that would undermine its authority.  It causes me to wonder what such a being could be and if there could be some reference hidden somewhere.  After all, an entity that could stand against God would find a way to get to us would it not?

Unless he were dead.  This does seem to bring to mind the various stories of one brother killing the other scattered throughout history and mythology.  Cain and Abel, Romulus and Remus, The Egyptian god Set killing Osiris, etc.  Who knows? :?
To act human is to give meaning to something meaningless.

Sanity is a matter of perception.

Kadesh

• Realized Monster
  • Monsters beware...
« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
 Here's something for everyone to chew on....

The Devil is 'evil' to society at large. Santa is the epitome of all that is good and wholesome to society at large. What's the difference between that fat bastard and Satan? The 'N' is in a different spot.
...The monster in the cage
       Is coming for you...
         9-29-10

KubeSix

• Realized Monster
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »
Here's a little something we discussed in philosophy class today:

Anguish, desire and all other feelings that make mortals take decisions are caused by their knowledge of their eventual death. Because they know they're going to die some day, and death is the ultimate certainty of every mortal's life, their lives worry them and they try to make it better all the time, hence the feelings that lead to the decisions. Every mortal being is dying from the moment they are born until the moment they die. Now, imagine an immortal being. Since it isn't immortal, it doesn't feel the need, like we do, to give time a definition and time to them means nothing. They live in the past, present and future all the time and don't worry about the time they have and how to make it better since they have an eternity. They are in the "totality of time" like Socrates once said. Such a state would apply to a god or any immortal being. The same applies to those who have passed to the afterlife, if they are in fact till conscious.

So what causes us to do "evil" or "good"? Good and evil are caused by our desires; we do things to better our lives that sometimes harm others and so are considered evil. An immortal being wouldn't feel the need to make such decisions and so wouldn't even make them. An immortal being wouldn't feel our anguish and desire. Since they wouldn't make such decisions, they cannot be considered "good" or "evil".

So we can come up with either one of these conclusions: Either the Devil, and God by the same line of thought, is not capable of either good or evil acts OR they are not immortal.

Of course, you could always try to mix these two up and say maybe they USED to be mortal and gained immortality, but then they would've lost the feelings of anguish and desire since they had all the time in the world to make their eternal lives better and so would never take action to actually improve them.

Grendelion

• Young Beast
  • I'm a man of few words but a monster of many.
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
Good points.  To me, sentience and immortality don't mix well.  Personally I've always found the concept or prospect of living forever a bit....boring.  Its like reading a book that never ends.  Sooner or later you wanna put the damn thing down.  How long would it take for an immortal sentient being to grow bored with its current existence, having straightened everything in its eternal life out?  Living forever, one loses a sense of purpose after awhile, a sense lower lifeforms were blessed to be born without.  Point is, what would an immortal being do in response to its boredom?  Fall asleep and never wake up all Cthulhu like, play chess, go for a jog, create life in a vast universe then sit and toy with it, etc.
To act human is to give meaning to something meaningless.

Sanity is a matter of perception.

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2009, 08:34:41 AM »
dude. you just move to a higher plane of consciousness or something. Its not like we know whats out there right.
Staying on this plane for too long is akin to staying in your room for a week. Familiar and boring.
-Kingdom Hearts

KubeSix

• Realized Monster
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »
dude. you just move to a higher plane of consciousness or something. Its not like we know whats out there right.
Staying on this plane for too long is akin to staying in your room for a week. Familiar and boring.

But that's exactly what Socrates said. When you die, you move to this 'higher plane' and there you're immortal. That's where the feelings go away and you lose the will to act. And that would eb the only way for humans to go there, by dying. But you;re right, we don't know what's out there.

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »

But that's exactly what Socrates said. When you die, you move to this 'higher plane' and there you're immortal. That's where the feelings go away and you lose the will to act. And that would eb the only way for humans to go there, by dying. But you;re right, we don't know what's out there.

Socrates might be wrong, or he could be right. But i still wouldn't feel right sharing a new universe with someone who thinks mushrooms grow on mushroom trees.

There might be a filter or a trial or something.
-Kingdom Hearts