Witches Brew > The Book of Shadows

Annie's Tricks-O-Magic

(1/1)

Anaya:
Annie's Tricks-O-Magic will be a thread mostly focusing around little things I do that I have found helpful. This is basically starting because Nina wanted to know more about candles. *shrug* So I figured I would make a thread where I update the first post for anything I had to offer in the since of mystical practice. You can call it spells if you wish, or you can refer to it as mysticism, and there is always the title of ritual. But first, let me break it up into categories.   :wink:

All that follows are of my practices only. I am not saying it is the right way, just my way.Color Code: Important Information/Warnings / Beginnings of Sections / Fun Facts/Not Major Information / Personal Experience

Categories:

* Candles
* Ribbons
* Basic Herbs
* Runes (Carving and Casting)
* Pouches
* Meditation 101
* The Use of Blood (Pro and Con)*
Candles
Buy Site: 100 Candles

Colors in Candles can play a fair roll in their uses and helpfulness in given situations.  Taken out adult uses that were in the list and this was basically copied from another site.
White = purity, spirituality and peace
Red = health, energy, strength, and courage
Pink = romantic love, affection and friendship
Yellow = intellect, memory, and communication
Green = good luck and harmony
Blue = healing, truth, inspiration, occult power and psychic protection, understanding
Purple = success in financial affairs, psychic ability of a highly-developed form, idealism and spiritual power
Gold = positive influences and it's connected with justice and career matters
Silver = clairvoyance, astral energies and channeling, also the faculty of far memory and remembering past lives

Colors for candles and psychological meanings are normally the same. I like using Eagles Spirit Ministry's as my basic reference for the psychological area, so I will share it here in case anyone wishes to go even a step further.

In my personal experiences, if one uses candles in their spells, they best take the precautions of tampering by simply placing a ring of salt around the candle or salt within the melted wax. As far as my uses have gone, spirits are drawn to the candle because it is pure energy. As they need a form of bio-energy for stronger manifestations, a candle is a wonderful thing. Again, this is just from my experiences. Later I may modify and add some of my rituals but for now, I will those aside.

Ribbons
Buy Site: JKM Ribbon and Trim

Ribbons are pretty straight forward: strips of fabric, right?

Wrong!

Ribbons can be used for many things: charms, blessings, and also wards. I personally make my ribbons to mach the color of the psychological I am aiming for. (Such as white ribbons for purity charms) I normally create an herbal bath for my ribbons that should either enhance their purpose or create it. Such herbal baths are easy but for the making of the herbal bath, I will explain it in the next section. I usually let my ribbons soak in the bath until they have absorbed the smell then I let them air dry, either by hanging them over a coat hanger or by using a hair dryer and some clips to keep them from blowing away.

You can tie charged/blessed/charmed ribbons to objects to give that 'object' the said effect or to enhance the effectiveness of the object already. (Like a protection ribbon on a taper candle).

This is also a clever way for a lady to have charms on her without being weighed down with jewelry; hold your hair back with it, use it to tie braids together, or just add it to a hand bag like decorations. For guys... I suggest just charming your wallet and the cards in it.

Basic Herbs
Buy Site: Mountain Rose

I am going to try to keep this part short with just basic herbs found in the average kitchen. I used google search to pick the herbs for me so this may not be what I normally use. This is just a general list for kitchen magic, I suppose... You can find books and online references for more herbs and their uses. I suggest Cunningham herb book as that was the first I ever read. Anyway here are 17 herbs.

Arrowroot - Increases good fortune and makes opportunity more visible on the horizon
Basil - Love, Exorcism, Wealth, Flying, Protection. Causes sympathy between two people and soothes tempers between lovers. Also used for courage.
Bay - Protection, Psychic Powers, Healing, Purification, Strength. Used in clairvoyance and wisdom brews.
Celery - Mental Powers / Psychic Powers.
Chile Pepper - Hex Breaking, Love
Cinnamon - Spirituality, Success, Healing, Power, Psychic Powers, Lust, Protection, Love, Enhances skills of prophecy through channeling, work through and oracle or divination. Aids in healing, draws money, and stimulates psychic power and produces protective vibrations. (GREAT for pouches and amulets!)
Cumin - Protection, Exorcism, Anti-theft.
Dill - Protection, Money, Luck
Garlic - Protection, Healing, Exorcism, Anti-Theft
Onion - Protection, Exorcism, Healing, Money, Prophetic Dreams
Oregano - Money, Prosperity
Parsley - Love, Protection, Purification
Pepper - Protection, Exorcism
Rosemary - Protection, Love, Mental Powers, Exorcism, Purification, Healing, Sleep, Youth
Saffron - Love, Healing, Happiness, Wind Raising, Strength, Psychic Powers
Sage - Immortality, Longevity, Wisdom, Protection, Wishes
Thyme - Health, Healing, Sleep, Psychic Powers, Love, Purification, Courage

My hands hurt a bit now lol but that is fine! To make an herbal bath, what I like to do is take a cup or two of boiling water and let herbs seep in it. Once the water is room temperature, I do whatever it is that I needed to do with the bath. For disposal, I normally pour it in the grass in a kind of 'returning to the earth' kind of ordeal. My favorite herbal bath is parsley, basil, and garlic. Of course, I normally put salt in when I boil my water just to keep it spiritually pure.

Runes (Carving and Casting)
Buy Site: Allegheny Candles and New Age Supply < (I haven't looked around much but it seems to far a good all around site for basic needs!)

Personally, the easiest way to learn runes is to buy a starter kit. I suggest Book of Runes. You can get this book with a set of clay stones as well. If you are going to enhance candles or tables by carving/painting runes, always make sure you have a 'face up' form. They have strong meanings even if they are upside down so this if VERY important! I normally use a knife for candle carving that is slowly becoming my athame (ceremonial dagger, usually with a double-edged blade and a black handle). As for painting them, I prefer acrylic, as it is a cheep but resilient paint that will work on most surfaces. You can make your own runes too, out of clay or what have you. I have even seen some made of paper though they didn't seem to work well. If you make them as clay, save the shavings from all the carved pieces to make the 'blank' rune so it in bodies all the runes within itself. As you cast runes and practice with them, you begin to learn what they are 'saying' without having to think for hours. I highly suggest a grimoire or journal to record each and every rune casting, starting with your question, spreads (yes, they have spreads like tarot cards!), and results (upright or upside down). What they mean may not become clear until after the event has come to pass. This is also how you check if you continued on the path you were on before. REMEMBER: Runes are not fortune telling, they are used for extra insight on situations. They are 'linked' to your subconscious. If you are using them for fortune telling, YOU'RE WRONG!

Pouches
Buy Site: N/A

Pouches is a term I refer to as little sewn pockets that hold herbs or spells for random uses (such as a protection pouch with salt and parsley along with some hair). They can cover uses from protection, power enhancement, courage/emotional influences, and healing. It all depends on your imagination. Not exactly for the pouch section, but I will throw charms in here as well. Lockets are good for this. Use super glue to keep the contents from leaking out if you need to. Herb baths are a basic way to charm things but I found the tried and true way for myself is simply holding it, pushing your wishes into it, and binding it with will power. Silence charms against spirits speaking are a specialty and proven to work in this method.

Meditation

Meditation is different for everyone. Some people like silence, others run, and more still (believe it or not) eat. I, personally, find meditation to be a corner in the mall, away from people, and watching them... A seat in a diner at the bar with a cup of coffee, surrounded by the early morning crowed and a notebook for thoughts. Sitting under a pavilion in the rain and staring out into lazy traffic at either dawn or dusk. And yet still, blaring rock music in the other room, sitting/laying on the bed with my eyes closed and "steepled" fingers seems to be the most common. Meditation is when you can center yourself in calmness. Now, just like meditation, calmness is debatable. My calmness is a crazy buzz of words in thoughts flowing through my head at a speed that I can't understand any of it. White noise almost but not quite. Someone else might explain it as a numbing tingling feeling which I relate with nothing good. So, meditation is something you must practice via trial and error. Start with generics, then slowly add things that put you to ease but never do anything majorly distracting like playing video games or doing homework. That's not letting your mind relax--it's working it.

The Use of Blood (Pro and Con)

I am not responsible if you use this information in a ... 'flippaty' manor like it's some easy and simple thing. It can be dangerous, and WILL be dangerous if you are (bluntly put) an absolute idiot about it! Wisdom is intelligence, intelligence is protection while cockiness is failure and failure is DEATH when it comes to blood within spells. So you read for information, but practice at your own (no pun) bloody risk.Personally, I feel that blood magic is a huge risk and should never be used unless you can reap what you sow.

Anything that contains DNA can be used to replace blood such as hair or tears, and even saliva. Don't gross out, but in some places, they use menstrual blood (I suppose that is ONE way to use that inconvenience!). As it is of your being in a physical form, it is the strongest source of your powers that can be away from your person. Say you put some blood on a candle, that candle's energy is suddenly more inviting because it has a whole new taste to it. I use hair and blood when I do protection pouches for people so it only works or works best for them. Other times, I use blood to attract spirits into a trap. It is for the pure sake that it is seen as 'free food' to spirits that makes blood the most dangerous form of spell casting. Blood magic is a very iffy area in the sake of black or white magic. In religions such a voodooism, where a sacrifice of blood from an animal is needed, it is viewed as a good thing while others may see it in another light. I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER used blood in spells to harm. That is like sighing a contract to suffer with them. In fact, never use magic for harm cause of the rule of 3 but that's common knowledge here.

But for me, blood is also the best way to ensure success in my spell. Sometimes I have issues tapping into my outlets. Well, when the blood is removed from my person, whatever may be blocking is removed. Like taking the seed out of a fruit, it no longer is safe within it's juicy shield.

I felt as this is where most of my spell work centers, that it should be explain to the point of understanding 'why'. Do I suggest it to others? NO. This is something I have trained, studied, and developed a firm grasp for what it can do, cause, and I accept the risk each time I do it. When I use blood, that means I am willing to give up existence for a spell to work. That is basically what blood use in spells is stating. (At least, to me it does)

*WARNING: I do NOT suggest you use this unless you are absolutely sure this is what you want!

Free Free to ask questions about any of the above topics and I'll answer them if I can. :) When I answer them, I'll add them in as well for easy information location. :D

Daemonin:
Would you mind if I quoted any of this in my own Book of Shadows?  I think half of what I do is info gathering anyway :)

Anaya:
Help yourself, my friend! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version