Monstrous Books > The Monstrous Library

The Paranormal Detective Kai Gracen Macabre Series - Case 1

(1/16) > >>

Demon_Detective_Leo:
Alright, this is my first novel that i put alot of dedication into, and retooling the hell out of it. I will post it chapter by chapter. Chances are, I will just Update the first post and thanks to the magic of technology, we can use the find thing on the internet tools just to find the chapter that I added. These are first revised drafts and may gets some more changes but for now, I want to hear all the criticisim there is for it. Just let it lose and I will listen to every suggestion there is for it. Have fun reading this.
-Demon_Detective_Leo
P.S. I do not have a title for this yet, I can't figure it out what to call it.

Chapter 1
   “…My life isn’t full of action, sex, and violence like most hard boiled detective stories. My cases were sometimes slow and dull and sometimes they were fast and most eventful. In this time however, I had a case that was close to pathetic in figuring out who I was looking for. If the person didn’t say it was a monster that did it to her, not a human personified as a monster because of loss of morals, I would only be able to relay the information to a friend of mine in the federal office.
   However, that is not the case at the moment. For the moment, with it being a real monster, I listened to her pleading. She claimed, that one night not long ago, after she got done meeting her lover in the diner she worked at, she went home to go clean herself up. Her lover, a female researcher in the field of stories, assumed to be waiting at the dinner for her return. After she got to the front door of her home, it was the first floor of a two floor duplex; she opened the door and was quickly shoved into her home from behind.
   When she was on the ground, she told me that she was raped horrible and that she actual bleed from the event. A few thoughts came to mind that may have said it wasn’t a paranormal case and she had told me no signs that it was paranormal. I told her then and there that she did need to present a piece of paranormal evidence.
   At that point, it was clear that all but one of my thoughts were wrong at what had happened. She told me that the monster that rapped her had blood red skin and his eyes had a bright yellow glow where as normal eyes have whites around them.
   It became obvious as to what had happened now and how I can use this past event to catch the monster. However, I did hate using people as pawns because in a chess game, I am the king and most powerless person there is unless certain conditions are met. I told her not to worry and that I would have the case solved in no time. She asked of my retainer fee and I told her that all she had to do was place my fee in the mail slot when she left.
   I used this method all the time since most times when I am on a case, a previous client may come to pay me back for my services. When it came to cash or small items that could fit through the mail slot, I just asked them to put in the mail slot with care and not to worry about it anymore.
   When she left, I quickly grabbed my two guns, A Webley Top Break Revolver and my S&W .40 Police Semiautomatic Handgun. The Webley was my father’s long ago and I claimed it as mine when he passed away. I was unopposed by my claim because both my mother and brother died moments before my father did in the tragic event years ago and my thought that there were no other family members was proven right.
   When they left, I was able to pay off any debts they had and still had a tremendous amount of money still in my name. It was then that I sold my home and bought this two floor shop. The first floor acted as my shop as the second floor acted as my new home. I was young when I did this yet people took me to be serious and it was then left to decide one more thing. What to do with my life from here on?
   I had enough money to do as I wished for the rest of eternity yet I felt this pull that told me to do something in return to the world. That is when I got my Police Handgun. I had a client one day walk into my shop and she was asking for something that was cheap yet looked nice. I gave her something that fit that description yet somehow ended up with her number that was circled in red.
   I was guessing she thought I would like some company. She was going to be disappointed because I wasn’t biting. The next day, she came back with a smile on her face. I was thinking there was no way she could have gone as far as to try to track me down. I was wrong. She walked straight up to me and showed her badge to me that she was a federal agent. According to her, she was testing me to see what I would do and it came to find out that she wanted to offer me hand with my, so called hobby. With my current status in the government, I would be called an unethical detective that went after whispers in the wind. She would assure that I got the rightful respect for my work and show that those whispers could do a lot more to this world then the government realized.
   The only leg work I had to do was document all of my cases that I had done and what the effects were. When I presented my papers to the agent a week later, another case under my belt at the time, she told me that someone would be coming to see me do my work. I was against it because I didn’t want to be responsible for anyone’s life on the field. When the day came, it was the same agent and she looked to be expecting a war or something, she had body armor which would protect her from bullet wounds. I tried to explain that the armor wouldn’t work against any monsters but she didn’t listen. That night, I had gotten a lead of a possible lich in a cemetery not to far from the city. When I went to investigate, as I planned to do in a few moments after getting my guns, I found the lich trying to cast a doomsday spell.
   The agent went all Rambo on the lich which it didn’t work. I had to pull her back and take a small wound, which caused me to repair my black suit later after the case. I was then able to get close enough and obliterated the lich into some type of hell. I then went back home and tried to get my wounds fixed up. I suffered a small burn from the lightning but it was only residual heat and my body has taken worse hits. The agent kept on saying sorry for getting me hurt and was saying she would do anything. I had a feeling she was asking for the same thing she was trying to lure me with the first time I had met her.
   Knowing that the rules did require payment for what happened, I handed her my ruined suit and told her to get it fixed and she owed me one can of soda. That was equivalent enough in my opinion. However, by karma’s laws, which at times I have to follow, more would have been required to allow for it to equivalent. I think from that day forth, I had earned more then just her respect. In a way, I thought I gained something she held deeply in her heart yet I am still a little unsure of what it is.
   The next day, she came back with my suit, a can of cola, and two other items I wasn’t expecting. One was a type of billfold but I saw no badge on the inside to identify what squad it belonged to. The other was the Police Handgun. She told me that I passed their test they had set up; I am guessing she told the report truthfully and they somehow believed it. I was then told that the badge was only missing due to the fact that I was a freelancer so I technically didn’t belong to any of the squads. In terms, I was given authority to ask for whatever design I wanted to show I was a detective for the badge. I never asked for the badge to be made and I only kept the holder because it had the required documents to call myself licensed. In a way, this was equivalent according to karma’s law.
   So, as I placed my handguns in the holsters on the underside of my jacket, I choose to make a phone call to Sarah. I asked her about any increased number of rapes in the city and she told me that the east side of the center area was seeing slightly higher then normal amounts of rapes in the area. I was right about the hunting grounds for this monster being in the area of that diner. I thanked Sarah, the agent who I spoke of before, and then hanged up. I could see her coming around tonight to see if I was alright like she normally did if I called her on a case.
   I then consulted my plan and thought of what could be my main course of action. Obviously, this monster chooses to pick targets from the diner and it would have to be a female, just guessing on that part. If he did follow them, he would have had to leave maybe a few minutes after they left so it wouldn’t draw any attention to himself. A monster that raped women sounded like an Incubus and guessing about the general description of the rapist, it would be fair to say it is an Incubus. Now came down to the main method of catching this monster before he struck again.
   I made my way to the diner, planning on getting an early dinner and catching this monster at the same time. It wasn’t to far from my shop, although, I can handle a bit more of a walk that can last for miles without tiring or rest. So, in my opinion, it felt short and brisk, I could probably come to the diner more often now since I knew how far it was and how to get there from the shop. As I entered the diner, the feeling of light hit me as I saw that the wood glowed. I knew I whistled at this design and guessed that the person who made the wood furniture took their time and placed a lot of care into it. I could see booths and tables all around the small area, and a bar area upfront where someone in a vest and white apron stood.
   I started to feel like I was in a bar or something that was cheerful, I have seen cases where the bar looked as hopeless as the drunken patrons. I walked up to the bar and took a seat. The person in the apron, a big burly guy that wore the attire of some bar keepers from old west movies, handed me a menu and a glass with ice. I ordered a nonalcoholic drink and the special for the day. Because I sat at the diner longer then it took to eat my meal, the person asked me what I was doing there. So, I told him I was an undercover detective assigned to find the rapist of this area. I guess he believed me thanks to the news and gave me a refill on my drink.
   When it felt like I had been there an eternity, I saw a woman get up from her booth and walk up to the man in the apron. She gave him a quick kiss and then left. I cracked a small smile and told him he had a nice catch. I swear he blushed when I told him that and he even went as far as to tell me that they were engaged. For an odd reason, I had a feeling that the next person to get up was the Incubus and he was going after that woman.
   My instincts seamed to be right when a man got up from a booth and started to walk by us. He was wearing a ball cap and had on a tan colored trench coat. It wasn’t suppose to rain tonight and the winds weren’t suppose to be higher then your average breeze. This average Joe didn’t act like your average Joe when it came to clothing.
   As he started to pass me, I grabbed his arms and asked him, “Sir, can you tell me what an Incubus is?” I made sure my voice was its usual cold yet calm tone.
   He jerked a bit and replied hastily, “A demon that rapes women.”
   “Where did you hear that from,” I pressed on with the questions hoping to get him in a corner that would give him up.
   “From my church,” he urged but couldn’t get me to let lose. If he used any demonic powers on me, he would blow his cover and a part of him probably knew that.
   “Do you live in the area,” I asked; know seeing that the patrons around us were staring.
   “Yes,” I think he didn’t know what the importance was of these questions were.
   “So, I take it that your church is in the area,” I was getting ready to hit him with the phrase that got most spineless demons, such as an Incubus, with a punch filled with fear.
   “I work at the church for your information,” he started to jerk really hard. I then let go of him and saw him stumble backwards a few feet then regain his balance. “I swear that rich snobs such as yourself are a pain to the clergy.”
   “I apologize for my actions,” I made my movements and tone seam apologetic, “I just came from a funeral of a dear friend of mine and I feel the urge to confess my sins, it was her last wish I start a new after her death.” He looked dumbfounded and the way he stammered his words meant he felt a small trickle of fear.
   “I cannot absolve your sins; I am just a lowly worker. The pastor of the church can absolve them if you wish.”
   “Where is this church,” I asked as my last question. On the inside, I knew I had him because I remember that you call the preacher of a catholic church “Father”, you never call him a pastor. I could have been wrong about it but I know I had this guy.
   I finally knew I had the guy at this moment for sure. He said he knew the area because he lived in it and that he worked at the nearby church. He stammered to say the street it was on. I knew this was him, I would bet my life on it. “On the corner of 5th and Monroe,” He replied in a tone added on to my suspicion. I was now sure of it. The corner of 5th and Monroe were not in this area but to the far west in the harbor area of the city This was the suspect, but just to make sure he wasn’t a compulsive liar, I had one last trick to try.
   “Can you tell me if the name Macabre means anything to you,” my tone went back to the cold normal which could make ice cubes seam warm.
   “s**t,” he hollered and I could see the fear bloom in his eyes like a rose. I cracked a small smile and started to bring my right hand to my gun holsters under the jacket. I saw him turn his right arm into something and thrusted it at me. I jumped backwards from the stool and became lucky that it was only a short sword. I drew out the Webley revolver and quickly aimed at him. The jacket’s right arm was torn to shreds and the red skin became visible to me. I took in a quick breath and pulled the trigger. The shot hit the guy straight in the chest and he stumbled backwards. Aware that one shot to the chest wouldn’t kill him, I shot two more shots, one in each shoulder. He flung backwards into a wall and slid down until he was sitting on the ground. He looked to be breathing his last few breaths of life. I slowly walked up to him, letting my shoes clank on the floor and hoping to install the idea that I was the grim reaper into his mind.
   He looked up at me as I stopped a few inches from his body. He looked to be crying and begging for forgiveness.
   “You want me to forgive you for the crimes you have committed against mankind,” I asked in my cold tone, this time, without the comfort that some people hear in it.
   He nodded his head slowly; he looked like a whipped dog. I just now noticed that his hat was missing and the other patrons disappeared into the outside world of this diner.
   “You have raped so many women that were happy with their lives. Many of them have had their lives ruined because they lost their stable mind. So many of them have to act timid and reluctant when it comes to love so they do not get hurt anymore. In many forms, you have changed each of their lives in a negative way and I bet you that as much as any one of them wants it, they wish you were dead.” I raised the Webley up and pointed it at his forehead, directly between his eyes. “And you had planned on doing it all over again to that woman that left not to long ago. Do you think that you deserve to be forgiven?”
   He quickly lowered his head and started to shake violently. I could hear him sobbing and then, something unusual started to happen. He started to chant something. At first, I thought he was saying a spell to get himself out but then I recognized what the chanting was.
   Pater noster, qui es in caelis:
sanctificetur Nomen Tuum;
adveniat Regnum Tuum;
fiat voluntas Tua,
sicut in caelo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie;
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris;
et ne nos inducas in tentationem;
sed libera nos a Malo.
   I knew what he was saying and I knew this had to mean something. He repeated it over and over again, only to stop to catch his breath quickly between each prayer. I felt a hand on my shoulder and knew it belonged to the man with the woman the Incubus planned to go after next. My aim was still the same; it never missed what I aim for. I felt my finger pull back on the trigger and then a loud bang rang through the room. The gun smoked a bit at the end and the chanting continued without a pause. I sighed and thought it wasn’t in my hands anymore. I then turned around and saw that the man looked to be in tears. He must have also understood what the Incubus chanted, I quickly paid my bill and left the diner, not looking back and noticing I was chanting. Then I took my gun and…

Demon_Detective_Leo:
Okay, I am laughing at this. I did not know there was an auto censor on the site. I guess I am glad I don't use swear words all the time in my writings then. Also, I have started work on chapter two as you read this.

Devinoir:
Are you... hmmm... TRYING to write noir? Really?
Don't. You'll screw it. Just make her an horror story, ok, detective?

onishadowolf:
Do a proofread and a spellcheck it will help the story be more flowing.  Also grammer check too, doesn't have to be perfect for a draft but.....needs polish.

Demon_Detective_Leo:
Devinoir - I have no clue what noir is. Would you care to ellabriate on that? By the way, i tried writing horror once, I suck at it.

Onishadowwolf - Thanks, I plan on having it polished atleast two more times. My computer somtimes misses things in the full check it does, spelling, grammer, sentence structure, the works.

I would have had chapter 2 posted last night but a storm knocked out the power so I have to spend a bit more time on it. I didn't lose the story, my laptop went into power saver mode when the power went out and I couldn't see the keyboard at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version