Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

Monsters of the Slavic Mythology

(1/11) > >>

Nina:
Seeing this topic is missing, and due to late great threads made by leshy and blow fly, I think these creatures deserve topic of its own.

So there, Slavic monsters enter here!!!!

Little intro from Wiki:

Unlike Greek or Egyptian mythology, there are no first-hand records for the study of Slavic mythology. Despite some controversial theories (for instance, the Book of Veles), it cannot be proven that the Slavs had any sort of writing system prior to christianisation; therefore, all their original religious beliefs and traditions were likely passed down orally over generations, and potentially forgotten over the centuries following the arrival of Christianity. Prior to that, sparse records of Slavic religion were mostly written by non-Slavic Christian missionaries who were not very interested and/or objective in their descriptions of pagan beliefs. Archaeological remains of old Slavic idols and shrines have been found, but they do not tell us much more other than confirming existing historical records. Fragments of old mythological beliefs and pagan festivals survive up to this day in folk customs, songs, and stories of all the Slavic nations. Reconstruction of ancient myths from remains that survived in folklore over a thousand years is a complex and difficult task that can often lead researchers astray. This may result in misinterpretations, confusions, or even pure forgeries and inventions.

the rest of this very nice article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_mythology

leshy:
Love the info and the video was really cool!

Some time ago I read that Wikipedia article you gave the link to. It really is good and worth taking the time to read.

Thanks for taking the time to make all of those posts Nina!!   :-)

blow_fly:
The myth about Perun and Veles is really fascinating since it has a striking parallel in Hindu mythology. The Rig Veda, a collection of sacred textes that Hindus generally revere, actually describes a pivotal conflict in which the thunder deity Indra unleashes his lightning bolt against the under-world being Vritra, who after having stolen the life-giving waters of the world, assumes the form of a monstrous serpent or dragon which is subsequently slain by Indra.  If you compare the two mythical narratives with one another, the common Indo-European origin that underlies both of them is strikingly obvious.

--- Quote ---Slavs have one peculiar ritual. On feasts they all drink from one cup, saying some words at the same time, I would say, not like a prayer, but more like a curse in the name of their gods: good and evil. They believe that all good comes from a good god and all that is bad comes from the evil one. And so they call that deity Crnobog (Dark/black God)"
--- End quote ---

I find it somewhat confusing that the same divinity revered as a god of fertility by the ancient Slavs, was also perceived by them as a malovelant being to be feared if Helmold's account is to be trusted. In the event that it is a reliable  and accurate description of the popular sentiment towards Crnobog, it would be reasonable to assume that this particular god had a rather dark aspect to him that his devotees dreaded. 

Great contributions to the new thread, Nina! They're chock full of useful and interesting information as leshy said. And the video is certainly an added bonus. 

blow_fly:

--- Quote ---Also, it is the same horned god that catholicism later described as Lucifer, and why Lucifer has horns. The only way they could destroy this old belief was to make it into something evil and sinister, so instead of god of fertility and life, we got Satan himself.....
--- End quote ---

That was the standard policy of the missionaries who spread the Abrahamic religions wherever they went. Villifying existing gods was an excellent way of winning new converst to the divine cause. As for the Christian fixation  with an evil horned Satan, I suspect that it may have its roots in ancient Jewish accounts that speak of a certain tribe of demons or evil spirits that possessed the physical attributes typical of goats.

--- Quote ---Old gods arent very happy about this, what do you think?
--- End quote ---

Assuming that they even existed to begin with, they can't be too thrilled with their drastic demotion in status.   

--- Quote ---And blowfly, thank you, its just that although Im not a mod any more,old habits really do die hard   
--- End quote ---

Some habits are worth mantaining.

blow_fly:

--- Quote ---If people dont say their names any more, that doesnt mean they werent powerful in ancient history. They where worshiped with the same fear and love people worship today. We always needed a powerful entity to pray to, and feel protected by.
--- End quote ---

I understand what you're trying to convey, but I can't really relate to that view point, being an agonostic myself.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version