Author Topic: Zombie Defense  (Read 14243 times)

Whitedrake

• Great Master
Zombie Defense
« on: October 18, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
As we draw closer to the inevitable zombie outbreak i felt we should discuss appropriate ways to stay safe from the shambling undead. Weapon choices, transportation, and shelter. Lets discuss it all, and hopefully we can come to a suitable zombie defense strategy.
Too weird to live....too rare to die

Andrea Warfare

• Great Master
Re: Zombie Defense
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »
In south texas,we build homes on pillars so we don't have to worry about the hurricane's flood waters,etc.
We should do the same with the zombie outbreak because we wouldn't have to worry about zombiew thrashing at our windows and ultimately killing us.This would be even more effective if we could add an electrical charge to the pillars so they couldn't climb up at all.
From our fort homes we could shoot off zombies with ease.
We are all unique.You my dear are uniquely non-unique.

Muerte

• Realized Monster
  • Welcome to the worst nightmare of all... reality!
    • www.myspace.com/drkhrt_2
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:47:34 AM »
  If you are asking me to share my survival plan you are going to need to coax me with something more than just the same ol' "You'll be helping Society to Survive" speech.  I do have a plan, not only to include weapon, transportation, and shelter, but road maps to get from my current location to a protected survival location.  Plans for renewable food resources and long standing defense, but if I were to share with everyone, then my location would quickly become overcrowded and I would be forced to eliminate the living along with the dead to ensure my family and my own survival.  Tell me what you could contribute to surviving community (of no more than 100 people max) and I may share what I plan.  Oh and my plan involves nothing spectacular that you have to procure in order to make it viable.  Everything I need is already in place and available whenever I may require it.

I will help you with a few of your questions however.

Weapons:

Contrary to popular belief, melee weapons should be avoided whenever possible.  These are infected creatures after all, and the point to surviving to not become infected.  Long range weapons such as rifles would be best, which means everyone should begin learning how to care for such weapons.  Another viable option would be the Bow and arrow, harder to use, but with a little practice you can make your own ammunition, which is something that would be more difficult to accomplish with rifles.  A Long Range weapon, thatís the key, get them before they can get to you.

Transportation:

Simple, 4 Wheel drive vehicles.  The common car will be incapable of transverseing the variety of terrain you are going to have to compete with, and while yes you could utilize a dirt bike, you are also more likely to get hurt, not something you want with flesh eating zombies all around.  In a 4 Wheel Drive you are fairly well protected, even if you do hit something.  The dead will find it more difficult to pull you from a vehicle than it would be to simple pull you from a bike.  Also in a vehicle you have multiple points of egress.(unless you let yourself get surrounded, and if that is the case then you deserve to be the next flesh buffet).

Shelter:

Look now for a large Storage warehouse.  Reinforced concrete walls are more likely to stand up to an onslaught of large crowds of the dead than the majority of other structures you can find.  Any building with a large abundance of ground floor windows should be avoided at all cost, Like walls (which are mostly nothing more than two pieces of sheetrock with some insulation sandwiched between them) windows will not stand up against a relentless assault.  One such building would be a Wal-Mart Supply center (they just built one here in Cheyenne two years ago).  It has only 10 ground floor windows, but these are set well off the ground, a few personnel doors, and truck bay doors.  The truck bay doors might be a problem if they were not situated well above the ground to accommodate semi trailers.  Also in said ware house there will be food stuff (non perishable of course for the most part) and other supplies.

While most of these options I have provided will not ensure a prolonged survivability factor for the majority, it will provide you with an opportunity to figure out what you are going to do next.
In remembrance of Moonbaby, one of the brightest and most glorious stars to ever grace the Monstrous community.  Missed you will be, forgotten NEVER.

Kadesh

• Realized Monster
  • Monsters beware...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:02 AM »
 Brilliant, Muerte. I've never given it much thought, but now I know who I want to make friends with in case it ever happens!! :-D
...The monster in the cage
       Is coming for you...
         9-29-10

Moloch

• Realized Monster
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »
Nope, not sharing. And you can save your "helping mankind out by doing it a solid" speech. I hate mankind asa whole, though I do think I'd be doing it a favor by letting the stupid and inferior die.

Kadesh

• Realized Monster
  • Monsters beware...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
 I have to agree with that last statement. Let the world burn and roast marshmallows over the fire.
       Is coming for you...
         9-29-10

Andrea Warfare

• Great Master
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »
I think it'd be practical to make transportation by pulley system.We wouldn't need any fuel.The carts in the air would  be run on a geared zipline and we would be high in the air so we could shoot  zombies from above and not have to worry about any hiding in the back of a car, Muerte and we wouldn't have to worry about running out of gas.
I don't mind sharing my ideas,that's what this thread is for isn't it?
When you're the only person surrounded by hungry zombies,I'm sure you'd also want some omnivore friends to keep your sanity.

Muerte

• Realized Monster
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
I think it'd be practical to make transportation by pulley system.We wouldn't need any fuel.The carts in the air would  be run on a geared zipline and we would be high in the air so we could shoot  zombies from above and not have to worry about any hiding in the back of a car, Muerte and we wouldn't have to worry about running out of gas.
I don't mind sharing my ideas,that's what this thread is for isn't it?
When you're the only person surrounded by hungry zombies,I'm sure you'd also want some omnivore friends to keep your sanity.

I really don't want to burst your bubble dear, but long range zip lines are not really all that viable.  Also hiding in a house above ground is all well and good, but where are you going to get food and water to last the 3 - 4 years necessary for the dead to fall into a state of decay as to make them harmless, except in a bio-hazardous sort of way.
In remembrance of Moonbaby, one of the brightest and most glorious stars to ever grace the Monstrous community.  Missed you will be, forgotten NEVER.

Kadesh

• Realized Monster
  • Monsters beware...
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 05:37:22 AM »
 I'm starting my plans now. lol. This is actually kind of fun.
       Is coming for you...
         9-29-10

Strife

• Great Master
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 07:58:52 AM »
Im a good strategist everybody knows this but....for zombie invasion or whatever, i think as i go, im a very quick thinker im always paying attention to the enviorment

I got many plans if something like that ever happens, But like i said im always thinking as i go, thinking of every possible ending and every possible outcome

Andrea Warfare

• Great Master
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 08:12:16 AM »
Yeah,I was thinking about that being a problem. What about the way a ski lift works? I don't mean on it going extremely long distances,just from point to point.Say like,my house to the store.
At least from my vantage point I could exterminate the zombies in a faster pace as opposed to living underground.See,with your idea you're hoping that the zombies get nuked out and/or left to be killed by snipers such as myself,however,I'm having a conversation about this and I just realized that the elevated house would be more stressful to one's sanity vs. The bomb shelter as every night I would hear the zombies moans and attempts to climb up while in the bomb shelter you'd probably hear little to no zombie noise.
Either way,I suppose both forts would be stressful with the fear of getting eaten alive if you even dared to step out unprepared.
Come to think of it,I'm starting to like your idea better because it seems more accessible.I would like to alter your idea a bit and make it into a huge concrete enforced bunker. So you could hide out and be safe from the brain eaters and neutralize their numbers as well.

Muerte

• Realized Monster
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »
Yeah,I was thinking about that being a problem. What about the way a ski lift works? I don't mean on it going extremely long distances,just from point to point.Say like,my house to the store.
At least from my vantage point I could exterminate the zombies in a faster pace as opposed to living underground.See,with your idea you're hoping that the zombies get nuked out and/or left to be killed by snipers such as myself,however,I'm having a conversation about this and I just realized that the elevated house would be more stressful to one's sanity vs. The bomb shelter as every night I would hear the zombies moans and attempts to climb up while in the bomb shelter you'd probably hear little to no zombie noise.
Either way,I suppose both forts would be stressful with the fear of getting eaten alive if you even dared to step out unprepared.
Come to think of it,I'm starting to like your idea better because it seems more accessible.I would like to alter your idea a bit and make it into a huge concrete enforced bunker. So you could hide out and be safe from the brain eaters and neutralize their numbers as well.

Ski lifts require power, and for that you need people to man the power company's generators.  Buildings such as these would not be very inductive of survival during a zombie infestation, so I doubt that there will be much power to operate said lifts.  Along with houses on stilts I would like to ask, how long before a mass of zombies (couple of thousand in city areas) pushes it over.  Water flows along the less restrictive path, but the human (or zombie) body has an unrelenting mass, pack enough of it together and all that pressure will snap those supporting timbers.

As for staying in a bunker, no thatís not my plan, thatís just a suggestion for those people who do not already have their s**t together.  My plan is much more involved, but ultimately necessary to the survival of those I allow to join with me.  Those would be people who can contribute in major ways to the survival of the community.  How about it Andrea.  Do you have any special skills that would help in the survival of 100 or so people? (No I am not being perverted either, get your minds out of the gutter)

P.S.  Everyone might want to take into account the fact that we need to find something to do with our excrement.  Just because there are zombies does not mean we get to ignore all of the other health hazards out there.

Andrea Warfare

• Great Master
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »
Well,seeing as how I'm going to be a nurse in less than a year I'm sure that'd help.
I'm skilled in sewing and mending clothes and even people,I want to be a surgical nurse so I can sew people up and tend to various other ailments.
I'm a great cook.I can cook for a hundred + I do that all the time anyway I'm head line chef.
I play guitar and sing.If there are other musicians around with instruments we can play songs and try and take some tension off of everyone.You'd be suprised how much music does for one's sanity/insanity/soul

Kadesh

• Realized Monster
  • Monsters beware...
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »
 The first thing I'm going to do is steal keys to all the superstores around here.  :roll:
       Is coming for you...
         9-29-10

Andrea Warfare

• Great Master
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »
Ha,you're going to steak keys when you can just break into stores?