Monstrous Books > New Publications & Authors

Quotes from books

<< < (2/5) > >>

leapetra:
- "Remember -- that which does not kill us can only make us stronger."
- "And that which does kill us leaves us dead!"

-- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

In almost every book of Terry Pratchett's I have found some quote or scene I have fallen love with.  Right now that is the qoute that sticks in my head.

Bloody Angel:

--- Quote from: leapetra on April 01, 2007, 05:13:00 AM ---- "Remember -- that which does not kill us can only make us stronger."
- "And that which does kill us leaves us dead!"

-- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

In almost every book of Terry Pratchett's I have found some quote or scene I have fallen love with.  Right now that is the qoute that sticks in my head.

--- End quote ---

I'm afraid the first quote is actually a Friedrich Nietzsche's sentence.

Moloch:
BA is right of course.

leapetra:
I know that, but it's a good example of what Pratchett does with the language.  Many times he takes a familiar quote and come back with a witty response or turns it on it's end.

Earlier he wrote "They stared into the abyss, which didn't stare back."  Which is another Nietzsche quote twisted ie: "If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Bloody Angel:

--- Quote from: leapetra on April 01, 2007, 12:45:12 PM ---I know that, but it's a good example of what Pratchett does with the language.  Many times he takes a familiar quote and come back with a witty response or turns it on it's end.

Earlier he wrote "They stared into the abyss, which didn't stare back."  Which is another Nietzsche quote twisted ie: "If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

--- End quote ---

This second quote makes sense (he played with a Nietzsche quote). As far as the first, he didn't play with the language. He just wrote Nietzsche sentence without mentioning the source. That's not playing. I have the feeling many readers will think it's Pratchett's doing.  :doh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version