Dead... And Not So Dead > The Dead and the Undead

Would You Say Death is Evil?

(1/18) > >>

M Sidhe:
A lot of people, espcially those want-to-be goths think that Death AKA the Reaper is evil. I understand that he symbolizes the end of all life, but would you say that he is evil. I think is is just symbolic of what people would think Death would look like and he just does his job. Why do we symbolize him as a sadistic, insane, killer. (Except for Discworld)

I always thought of him as a crazy, tea obbessed, over-exagerated bad english accent. (In a fun sort of way.)

Express thoughts here.

Mr. Maggot:
To some degree, we all fear death coming for us in what we will deem a very premature manner. Hence the vilification of the Reaper  can be seen as a natural reflection of humans whom view death as an arbitrary menace that take lives based on whims.

phyrrestar:
I've never thought of death as evil.  Just another part of life, y'know?  Yes, death can cause pain to loved ones, but it strengthens us and is a completely natural and necessary thing.  Death itself should not be painful but a release, since suffering before death is indeed not uncommon.

If anything I'm worried about death being seen as this great evil because it drives us to attempt to live forever.  More and more anything that dies is seen as wrong.  So overpopulation happens, animals are brought into captivity to keep them alive because we take their place in the wild yet still say they must live.  I hate to say it, but we must draw a line in saving lives of human, animal, and plant.  Either we must die or some of the less dominant species must.  We can't keep them alive forever, though we seem hellbent on trying.  Either that, or we decide to "overcome" nature as a whole.  This half-and-half attitude with death (both as evil by society and good by nature) is just causing confusion and destruction.

And just for the record, I indeed do not like the "we must save all the animals!" mentality.  I will fight against moving into their territory, I will fight for reintroduction if we can coexist but chose not to once, however I refuse to take in or save an injured animal in the wild.  Yes, it may seem heartless to those who love animals and who have the same "Death is evil" mentality, but in actuality I see it as nature at work.  The animal will die and other animals will live because of its death.  It will not be wasted.  The problem occurs when we do not allow the bodies to be returned to other creatures, but instead bury them to let the useful meat rot.  If I were to die, I'd like to be left out for the animals to feed on, but I somehow don't think my Christian family would be okay with that.

I suppose to sum up all that ranting I'll say that my way of seeing death is through nature, being a nature-lover and all.  I love animals and humans alike, but death is not at all evil in my opinion, just part of the necessary cycle of nature.

Robigus:
I honestly don't know many goths or goth wanna-bes that think that Death is evil.  Death, seen by most who embrace or at least pretend to embrace that culture seem to think of Death as the ultimate good, ending the pain and suffering of the living world.  Just look at the stereotypical statement that has been plucked from that culture, "Life is Pain."

Phantom X:
Death is just a necessary force to complete the cycle of life. The only reason it gets such a bad rep is because it causes pain and pain to us is BAD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version