Monstrous People > Mutants, clones and cyborgs

Genetic laws

<< < (2/2)

Zeppelin:
I think it could be sort of strange and kind of selfish to choose your childrens traits.  On the other hand the ability to make dormant or maybe even remove genes that could lead to cancer or lethal illness seems like a great idea.

I do believe in God i'm no fanatic and i have no problem in scientific research to help mankind.  This sort of interests me and doesn't make me think of it as 'playing God'.

Moloch:
I personally see no reason not to allow science to progress... as long as they don't mess with what we put in our bodies. So far, GMO foods seem to be decidedly bad for you. I wonder if gene therapy on humans will have a similar detrimental effect. Could we be facing a future of unending mutations brought about through genetic instability caused by genetic therapy?

Who knows? I do believe, however, that we really, really need to study this stuff until we know exactly what we're doing, and before we actually try to do anything.

bhambrice:

--- Quote from: onishadowolf on May 31, 2010, 11:11:14 PM ---Haha, exactly. Then their are the ones who don't want to know about latent diseases in their genes.

--- End quote ---

I, for one, would like to know exactly what I'm up against since I have cancer in my immediate family, but if the insurance companies get a hold of this information they can, and have, cancelled insurance policies.
I also am wary of having my genetic future controlled by money hungry doctors.

Moloch:
Actually, if I remember correctly, the new health law legislation in the US has made discrimination by insurance companies based on your genetics illegal. Good luck proving they did it though.

onishadowolf:
There will be a time in the future where genetics will be it's own separate school of laws (i.e. Criminal Justice, etc.)  Also in the future genetic screenings will be in place for sports and other events to make sure that people who are genetically untampered have a fair chance in a sport. Even then that will be displaced as the level of genetic tinkering increases. Also this may be the harbinger of our own demise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version