Aliens, ETs and UFOs > Theories

Icke and shape-shifting reptiles domination

(1/1)

monstr:
DAVID Icke became a national laughing stock when he appeared on Wogan in a turquoise shell suit, claiming to be the son of God. Since then, the former Grandstand presenter has been writing books about his view of the world.

He will be appearing at Brixton Academy on Saturday, June 7, to talk about the "real" version of events behind the September 11 tragedy, and explaining the network he claims is leading us into a global fascist dictatorship.

Reporter RICHARD EVANS went to meet him . . .

THERE are some far out theories on David Icke's website, but the section on shape-shifting reptiles has got to take the biscuit.

"These reptilian-human hybrid lines," he writes, "became the political and economic rulers of these lands occupied by the European empires and they continue to rule these countries to this day." These shape-shifters need to drink blood to maintain their human form and sacrifice children to get it, apparently.

Oh, and there are more sightings of George Bush Snr shifting shape than anyone else. Now, I'm a confirmed believer that John F Kennedy may have been killed by the Mob, and the whole Iraq thing seemed a bit iffy, but even in the weird world of conspiracy theories, the idea of shape-shifting reptiles is pretty out there. So the reptile question is the first thing I ask him about when I meet him in a Lambeth hotel. By way of answer, he spends the next 20 minutes telling me how the September 11 atrocity was a "monumental lie" planned in the US to give them a pretext to start wars with Afghanistan and Iraq. No mention of reptiles, shape-shifting or otherwise.

Now, I might not be Jeremy Paxman, but I can tell when someone is avoiding a question, so I put it again.

David's face clenches into a grimace and he waves his hands to suggest it's not something he wants to talk about.

He says we could talk about it for hours but in one line of a newspaper, it will sound crazy. "One of the great problems with communicating through the media is it is amazingly superficial," he adds.

But how can your theories on September 11 have any credibility, I ask, when you have proclaimed yourself the son of God and are on record as saying the world is ruled by reptiles? "Who says I want credibility? The last thing the world needs is someone else standing up and saying you must believe it or you are in trouble.

"What people make of what I say is not only of marginal interest to me, it is actually none of my business. Either this information makes sense to people or it doesn't." I sense the rattle is about to be thrown out of the pram, but I soldier on regardless, saying that without credibility, people are not going to listen to him. "In that case, you should prepare for the global fascist state," he says petulantly. "That's fine. Take the consequences of your inability to open your mind. Allow yourself to ignore information because of a one-liner that you know nothing more about and all your kids are going to live in a deeply unpleasant dictatorship for most of their lives.

"Or instead of dismissing it on the basis of a one-liner, read what the basis of it is." This sounds suspiciously like another way of saying "you must believe it or you are in trouble", but I don't press the point.

As he talks, I think he is probably better at giving speeches than interviews.

He builds up a head of steam and seems more comfortable talking at me than answering questions.

I don't get to find out about the reptiles, but he talks at length about the global conspiracy behind George W Bush and Tony Blair.

Apparently, Blair's in on it, but Iain Duncan Smith and Charles Kennedy aren't.

But that's all right, because the conspiracy managed to fix the result of the Conservative leadership contest to make sure Duncan Smith won because he'd never win an election. Thatcher wasn't in on it, but was picked because her economic beliefs matched the conspiracy's aims. That's why they made sure they had Michael Foot in opposition, because he was never going to get voted in.

But when Thatcher started opposing the European Union - part of the plan for a global fascist state - they decided to get rid of her. So how long has this been going on? "Thousands of years," he says, deadpan.

As he rattles off facts and theories, he sounds surprisingly plausible. The shell suit has given way to a presentable shirt and tie.

But when he starts to rail against allegations of anti-Semitism, the monologue seems to start descending into a rant.

With the interview over, I leave David alone in the hotel room and take the lift down, my head spinning with the facts and figures he has thrown at me in the last hour and a quarter. He is a charismatic man, and gives the impression of being highly intelligent.

It is right to be cynical about international politics, but what Icke has done is take a fact here and a snippet there and weave them together into a bizarre patchwork view of the world. During the interview, he complained that radio appearances had been cancelled at the last minute, which he put down to the conspiracy.

But the real question is: why does he get any coverage at all? You are reading this for the same reason we are printing it - because this man gave everybody a good laugh by saying he was the son of God on prime-time television.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version