Monstrous People > The Psi Zone

Psychic Women why?

(1/1)

banshee72:
Just a thought/question. All my life I have been told that psychics and mediums run in only the women on my moms side of the family. But why only the women? I've always wondered this. Are women more prone to psychic abilities? Or is it just my family? You would think that men would be just as prone to it as well. I mean were all human. How come it only runs in the women on my mother's side of the family and not the men? I don't get it. What do you think?

Jake:
In their 1988 publication Enhancing Human Performance: Issues, Theories, and Techniques, Daniel Druckman and John A. Swets of the US National Research Council's Committee on Techniques for the Enhancement of Human Performance concluded that there is NO scientific justification from research conducted over a period of 130 years for the existence of psychic powers. 

(Aside from the purely empirical, however, for me there is a very interesting philosophical debate at the heart of the matter: the mind-body dichotomy, as identified by René Descartes. I do not support the notion of Cartesian Dualism, which makes it even more difficult for me to accept the existence of "psychic" powers.)

So, while I do not believe in the existence of "psychic" powers at the moment, I still find your comment interesting, and would point out that critics "attribute psychic powers to intentional trickery or to self-delusion." This is a minefield area of sometimes conflicting studies, but many studies, for example Sanjida O'Conell's (author of Mindreader), indicate that women are far better liars than men, lie more often, and tell more complicated lies than men. I offer this as a conversational point - not proof at all - that this might suggest why women are more often associated with what scientists dismiss as fraudulent/deceptive behaviour: as less-believable (but not necessarily less-prolific or less-inclined) liars, men are weeded out sooner and more often.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version