Author Topic: Favorite Stephen King Books?  (Read 9450 times)

Devious Viper
Favorite Stephen King Books?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 11:45:19 PM »
There is a short story of his called "Beachworld" which was first published in 1972, six years before "The Stand"; it was later published as part of "Night Shift". It is a much more realistic portrayal of the world post-flu, and surprisingly far more terrifying than The Stand.

I did, however, fairly enjoy The Stand, my main criticism being that, as Voo and a few others have pointed out, it is over-long and padded out with dross. If I had been King's editor in 1978, I could have shaved several hundred pages and a dozen plot threads from that book, and believe me it would have been so much better. Also, in his novels you are somehow constantly aware of the presence of the writer (just as he always appears in the films) and he comes across as pretty smug. I'm not sure I'd enjoy drinking beer, watching the game or hanging out with this guy. I'd probably end up punching him.

That's one of the reasons I prefer his short stories. But the greatest work of his, IMHO, is "Danse Macabre". If you haven't, read it - it is non-fiction, subtitled "The Anatomy of Horror", and is a fascinating and razor-sharp study of horror - movies, novels, TV.

~ Viper ~

Bloody Angel
Re: Favorite Stephen King Books?
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 12:40:59 AM »
I know it's an old topic, but I like the subject and I adore Stephen King and until Buick 8 I considered him as my favorite author.  He knows how to use words and how to make things low in one's stomach clench and beg for more.
The Stand was good, but too long. I'd have given the book a few long cuts now and then, but I'm not editor.
The Last Rung On the Ladder, out of the Nightshift, is a real masterpiece.

Rocket

• Weres
  • Black Monk
  • I'm Not Human, But If You Cut Me I Still Bleed
    • Fight Between Weres and Vamps
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
Im reading Pet Semamtary and my Dad told me that 'IT'  is a pretty good book as well, Oh and the Shining.

leshy
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:58 AM »
Stephan King isn't my favorite, but I will admit that "IT" was the only book I've read that gave me nightmares!

sexywolfgirl

• Weres
  • High Priest
    • Allpoetry
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »
pet cemetary, cujo, it, sleepwalkers-movie Luv them!!!
Insanity is a fun state of mind. I can amuse myself and have my friends wanting to get me a straight jacket and a padded room.

bridigid
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »
the gunslinger series...all of them

:gun:

7VII7

• High Priest
  • 'Cause if ya don't I'll eat ya!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 06:14:09 PM »
eh, I'm not a fan of him, but I think that might just be the popularity syndrome's effect on me.
I have multiple personalities, one is a were-Sheepenguin, one is a fruit vampire, one likes to imagine cruel and unusal totures, that one's name is Bob the VI.

baa.

Regina Terra

• Realized Monster
  • The Pink Reaper Raper aka petpet. ;-3
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 09:47:15 AM »
For some reason, that post makes me want to meet Bob the VI. :laugh:
Gabriel, "Don't kill yourself for it would crush my angelic heart. I love you for who you are and I'm glad I met you. :]"

"I'm going to break him, and there will be blood."

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
:focus:

markus
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 04:20:34 AM »
:focus:

Okey Doke  :laugh:

I liked SK  "IT" as well

I liked all of them but after reading "IT" that was one that really stood out
What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?

We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no-one may pass. We live for the One, we die for the One

Rocket

• Weres
  • Black Monk
  • I'm Not Human, But If You Cut Me I Still Bleed
    • Fight Between Weres and Vamps
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 08:43:42 AM »
A favourite of mine would have to be Pet Sematary.

ALthough i am fond of his other books, such as IT, Duma Key, The Eyes of The Dragon, The Shining and Misery.

Moloch

• Realized Monster
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »
There is a short story of his called "Beachworld" which was first published in 1972, six years before "The Stand"; it was later published as part of "Night Shift". It is a much more realistic portrayal of the world post-flu, and surprisingly far more terrifying than The Stand.

I did, however, fairly enjoy The Stand, my main criticism being that, as Voo and a few others have pointed out, it is over-long and padded out with dross. If I had been King's editor in 1978, I could have shaved several hundred pages and a dozen plot threads from that book, and believe me it would have been so much better. Also, in his novels you are somehow constantly aware of the presence of the writer (just as he always appears in the films) and he comes across as pretty smug. I'm not sure I'd enjoy drinking beer, watching the game or hanging out with this guy. I'd probably end up punching him.

That's one of the reasons I prefer his short stories. But the greatest work of his, IMHO, is "Danse Macabre". If you haven't, read it - it is non-fiction, subtitled "The Anatomy of Horror", and is a fascinating and razor-sharp study of horror - movies, novels, TV.

~ Viper ~

Actually, there's an abridged version that is significantly shorter, and cuts out a lot of the separate storylines and cutaways. I prefer the unabridged version myself. THe addition of all of this lends it some reality, and a more human feel that is missing in the abridged version. Also, it is my opinion that those who like the abridged version usually have little patience in reading, and want everything to happen much more quickly.

sleepwalkers-movie

You mean "The Tommyknockers", which is based on his novel by same name. If you like that one, try his short story "The Langoliers", and then watch the made-for-TV movie. It'll send you to bed shivering, as will "IT" - both the book and the movie.

But if you want a REALLY good scare, read his short story "The Flexible Bullet". If it doesn't make you doubt your own sanity, you have no imagination.

davidn13

• High Priest
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »
salems lot, christine, the stand..
"What the hell was that?"

Devinoir

• Realized Monster
  • I am what I am what I know I am not.
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 05:00:44 AM »
My two most favorites from Stephen King, and I've read a lot of his books, would be Talisman, which he has written in collaboration with Peter Straub, and Duma Key.
There is I in every person,
Only long asleep...

rave phillaphia

• Realized Monster
  • jai kali ma!
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »
my all time fav is still 'The Green Mile' but 'Shawshank Redemption' is always a classic. I love IT but that was my first scary movie I have ever watched and I was 2. I like his movies sometimes better because I can never get past the first few chapters but once it gets going its good. 'Salem's Lot' was always scary to me but I dunno the whole vampire thing creeps me out sometimes. No offence to anyone but I just do get scared of them sometimes. All his stories are classics to me anyways. I thought 'Dream catcher' was unique though. I love how he can write from so many perspectives and uniqueness. It's never really the same stories cept that they are all his nightmares.
"Man has his will- but woman has her way" Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hella fury like a woman scorned." William Congreve