Author Topic: Why do people believe that all demons are evil?  (Read 7449 times)

Iriannah
  • Monstrous Imp
Why do people believe that all demons are evil?
« on: May 19, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »
Hi,
First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Anna aka Iriannah from Ontario, Canada. I am new to this board and hoping to learn and gain more information for my research.

Return to my question .... why do you think all demons/entities are evil? I personally don't believe all of them are evil. Just because it is unknown to us and cannot understand something we don't know, we generally label it as evil. We fear the unknown. I'd love to hear your opinion ....

Iriannah

keanz
  • Necromancers
  • Monstrous Imp
Re: Why do people believe that all demons are evil?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
Hey guys i have a correction did u ever met before a demon? really no? are u friends with that demon? are u an antichrist?satanity? or something u cant say that some of them are good because they are slaves of satan......... *<:)

matthew321

• Great Master
  • Fate Is Earned Not Given
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »
Actually I know many demons, I have demon friends and contacts. They are indeed not slaves. They are confident of their own free will and if you think about free will it gets tricky. Since how do you know you have a will independent of god's unless you actually rebel against god? Since if you don't you are also in a matter of speaking a "slave". But then you could say "that is what the devil wants you to think"
So choose what you will and it is neither right nor wrong.

Anyway I know a lot of demons that give out more acts of kindness then a lot of Christians. (Demons often are helping other demons) I know Christians will try to vanquish a demon as soon as they see one because being a demon makes it "bad". I have found demons to be more tolerant of others. (I do also know some bad demons as well)

The point is that every large group still has individuals. Some are good and some are bad. It is never one set definition.
If my life is worthless then death must be my currency to spend.

LeXtruX

• Realized Monster
  • Go forward, never look back!
    • LeXart.be
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
I know only 1 demon personally, and it's my own, the one bound to me... this one surely is not evil^^
Don't ask me his name because I can only feel his presence but I can't hear him... there are others that can see him though
Fight for those you've lost and fight for those you don't want to lose! -LeXtruX-
"Yes, I made my avatar... Yes I made everything myself, and No I did not use any existing pictures" ^_^

Angelus

• Watchers
  • Realized Monster
  • Im not what you think.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
Hey guys i have a correction did u ever met before a demon? really no? are u friends with that demon? are u an antichrist?satanity? or something u cant say that some of them are good because they are slaves of satan......... *<:)

Not all entities are demons. There are nature spirits, elementals, shadow people, ghosts, angels, etc.

Very true.
Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Alexander Pope.

champjklccmk

• Monstrous Imp
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 02:27:59 AM »
There are actually a lot of arguments about this particular topic... Of course the predominant public opinion is that indeed, Demons are bad... This is mostly because of the major religions that dominate the world's view of things... Now I've read a lot of materials that pertains to these demons and I can personally say that it is a very complex subject depending on which texts you read... Some define demons as fallen angels, others say they are spirits of nature and there are those who describe them as the emergence of darkness that counteracts the light... There are still more, but they are too varied and numerous to list... I myself have never met an entity that could be described as evil, though I've certainly seen my share of strange creatures...

The old ones here warn us never to take for granted that we live in a world we do not own... That there are other occupants far more ancient and powerful than we and so we must respect... Maybe it's just me, but perhaps evil is just a subjective term... Humans get violent and become evil if pushed, so why not them? If they are treated with courtesy, demons are as we are... Inhabitants of the same world, niether evil nor good...
Fear not death, for it is there that you find peace... But do not forsake life, for its is there where you find happiness, even though it is just but a moment...

LeXtruX

• Realized Monster
    • LeXart.be
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 03:21:36 AM »
demons aren't necissarly evil, it depends on how you define what a demon is...
some religions call evil beings demons, while other believers, like me, call demons creatures from lower realms (I don't mean like a world underneath ours, but I believe in different layers of realms and different realms on each layer, a realm below ours is in my eyes a hell while those above us are heavens)

but in most cases demons are evil because they are named demons because they are evil.
I have a 'demon' inside of me, but he isn't evil, he's nice, caring, loving, protective... maybe his father was evil, I don't know.
Also: if you have an evil entity, like let's say Satan, and he could have a son, in most cases, that son will be evil, because of the rule of how we grow by how our parents raise us, but having an evil parent doesn't mean the offspring is evil...
If you get raped by someone, and you hate that person, which is normal, but the baby inside of you (well this only works when ur a girl ofcourse) you should not hate that child, because a child can not choose it's parents, it does not deserve to be hated by the sins of his/her father. Though in most cases they always hate the childs they get from a rapist...

demon's aren't a race if you name them for their alignment. if they are intelligent like humans (or even more so) and they do bad things, but not everyone from it's race does those things, because some are caring and loving, they cannot be demons...
it's like saying: all white people are racists... not every white person is a neonazi that hates jews and black people ^^ we make the same mistake among ourselves as we do with demons, we judge the whole race or the whole society
a demon or a celestial isn't a race, it's an individual, just like a racist isn't a race, it's an individual, there are a lot of them, but they aren't a race.

My demon looks evil, is born from evil, but is not evil, I call him a demon because he is one in my books, he comes from lower realms. gods can be evil too! think of Seth ^^

I hope you guys see how things are :) don't judge the race of a being as a demon, if you look at each individual of that race, the evil ones are demons the other's aren't
Fight for those you've lost and fight for those you don't want to lose! -LeXtruX-
"Yes, I made my avatar... Yes I made everything myself, and No I did not use any existing pictures" ^_^

Carden

• High Priest
    • The Devil Hunters
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »
not all demons are evil... there's a story i know about how some changed their mind about being evil, but still retained their "darker" nature.
the tricky thing is they either don't wish to be found or they're too busy with other things to interact with humans.

so i would say, if you encounter a demon, treat it as evil until it can prove otherwise. but even then you should be on your guard. while their intentions may be good, they tend to be very into the "ends justify the means" mentality.

LeXtruX

• Realized Monster
    • LeXart.be
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 04:26:05 AM »
not all demons are evil... there's a story i know about how some changed their mind about being evil, but still retained their "darker" nature.
the tricky thing is they either don't wish to be found or they're too busy with other things to interact with humans.

so i would say, if you encounter a demon, treat it as evil until it can prove otherwise. but even then you should be on your guard. while their intentions may be good, they tend to be very into the "ends justify the means" mentality.
very much true, though though not everyone is like that, some don't go with that mentality, but those are rare encouters...

Tronth

• Young Beast
  • Ask and the answer will be found
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
First you have to look at what a demon actually means. The term demon comes from the greek term deamon. which means non-human spirit that isnt a god. angels, demi-gods, demons... ect. So with that knowledge it is safe to say that no not all demons are evil. another couple things i can tell you is that the pictoral image of demons being evil came from the catholics, jews, hindus, all single god believing religions. There is a tribe in africa that believes that demons are everywhere. Objects, food, plants and animals. They believe that demons are just spirits that are here to either help or hender us. they make food offerings to these demons so that they will be helpful. All in all from what i know not all demons are evil.
A stormy night I found my true self. I was taught of my lineage. I am one of the last of the nine druids of Solomon. Responsibility lays heavy on my shoulders.

Muerte

• Realized Monster
  • Welcome to the worst nightmare of all... reality!
    • www.myspace.com/drkhrt_2
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »

Ignorance breeds stupidity, and stupidity spreads faster than a plague of locust.  Do us all a favor Keanze, get your nose out of the bible and stick it into a few other tombs of knowledge before making such an audacious claim.  Who knows, perhaps you'll surprise yourself with some of the knowledge you obtain.  (That and you will see how utterly foolish your last statement was.)
In remembrance of Moonbaby, one of the brightest and most glorious stars to ever grace the Monstrous community.  Missed you will be, forgotten NEVER.

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
Expounding on muerte's train of thought.

Roman Catholicism was not always a tolerant religion. They had an expansionist policy and thus, they branded the creatures of  not associated with them as demons/devils, etc.
This usually included local gods and nature spirits. they even changed names and made stuff up.

This gave those terms bad press... til they lost the original meaning of "nature spirit" to "bad spirit"..... cause the conquering culture's religion was trying to convert the new guys.

The easiest way to control a newly acquired people is through education. And the easiest way to erase a people's culture is through replacement.
Religion fulfils both and is easy to adapt due to the vagueness of teachings in scripture as they can be interpreted as you please, and in those days the church was a tool of the state........ till the Renaissance when the influx of new ideas with PROOF clashed with said Interpretations and scripts.

It is a great political tool. even today  we demonize those that we disagree with..... such is politics. This is just politics+superstition+Intended misinformation+ 2000+ years

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
But donít be afraid. And donít forget...
You hold the mightiest weapon of all.
-Kingdom Hearts

rave phillaphia

• Realized Monster
  • jai kali ma!
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »
It really does depend on what your variables are. Taking a philosophical approach may lead you to say demons are evil or not evil. Depends on the tradition you are looking at. Like if you look at ancient traditions you can see that demons were used by the Gods to punish Humans (even in Judaism you can see this as well). However due to pop culture, they view demons as evil because of a mainstream Christian perspective.

In Islam you have entites called Jinn which are not nessesarily evil but are entities of fire while we are entities of clay (look up in the creation story of the Koran).

Zoroastrianism claims that there are no real 'demons' because evil can only manipulate and possess shells on our realm while good can manifest and create.

Buddhism says that demons are just the lowest level because of the 'evil' deeds one does, same with Hinduism.

so yeah it just depends on what you are looking at.
"Man has his will- but woman has her way" Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hella fury like a woman scorned." William Congreve

Anchitiquia

• Weres
  • Monstrous Imp
  • Half-human Half-unclassified
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »
The original question "Why do people believe that all demons are evil"?

Even a bum can be rich with knowledge.

Demons are nothing more than outcasts. This is true from every religions view point. An energy without a body is outcasted a body. A fallen angel is an outcast from heaven. An energy that manipulates things on this "physical" plane for twisted purposes using a vessel not its own is an outcast.

Outcasts tend to "not care anymore". If rules didn't apply to me and i was as such i'd do what i felt like all the time.

From others point of view this would disregard respect and add up to a giant ball of confusion and rudeness.

Which can easily be labeled as "evil". Since majority rules on many, many issues. That is why people as a whole believe all demons are evil.

I agree with all the past posts. Just because a label has been slapped on a "race, species, or gender" doesn't make it true, altough it could amount to a semi-factual negative stereotype.

Seeing as i hate all demons i've ever met and the ones i did like stab me at thier slight inconvience. I'm one of the many people that spread the rumor they are all indeed "evil"..... :x
What is time but you in motion? What is motion without the time to use it?

keanz
  • Necromancers
  • Monstrous Imp
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »
Wow i dont believe that you have demon  friend liar <^>