Author Topic: Hog From Hell  (Read 9066 times)

lycanthrope_Rose
  • Monstrous Imp
Hog From Hell
« on: June 15, 2007, 01:23:57 AM »

Vince_03
  • Weres
  • Realized Monster
Re: Hog From Hell
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:36:17 AM »
hey i've seen the site and  . . . well . . . i don't know if i can believe it
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

volcom
  • Monstrous Imp
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:55:07 PM »
Nope Sorry

Moloch

• Realized Monster
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:48:13 AM »
It is said this was on the local news. I'd also like to point out that this family doesn't seem to have access to advanced special effects and other things from Hollywood. So I really doubt that this was faked.

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:41:03 AM »
Two words. photo shop.
that or the pig was really close and the kid was far the pic looked to horizontal to tell.
The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
But donít be afraid. And donít forget...
You hold the mightiest weapon of all.
-Kingdom Hearts

Moloch

• Realized Monster
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:39:40 AM »
Let's lay this thread to rest shall we?

http://snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Hogzilla

Scroll down towards the bottom, and you'll see the part of the article dealing with this particular beast.

Raziel
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:56:35 AM »
Gomen..... i was talking about a differet pig. I posted without actually reading. silly me.

Here's the link. I found this the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=run92JXX8wQ
The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
But donít be afraid. And donít forget...
You hold the mightiest weapon of all.
-Kingdom Hearts

Moloch

• Realized Monster
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 05:27:19 PM »
That one is actually covered in the same article I posted, per my instructions to scroll down to find it.

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »
I find it amusing that so many people have trouble believing this. Have any of you ever seen some of the larger breeds of farm pigs? Some of them can get freakin' humongous. A wild hog is only a feral human-bred pig, and sometimes (though rarely) partially interbred with wild boar. Nothing more. If domesticated farm pigs can get that big, why couldn't a feral pig descended from those animals get that big?
At the county fair earlier this year there was a pig that weighed 50 pounds more than I do. I'm a pretty big fella, so imagine how huge that hog must have been.

blow_fly

• Realized Monster
  • An extremely curious person
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 02:37:11 AM »
I was under the impression that animals in captivity often reached larger sizes than their wild cousins due to the steadier supply of food that they enjoy.  Moroever, wouldn't a hog of that outstanding size have quickly attracted the attention of ravenous coyotes or wolves? However, I may be wrong on both.
''Come on, I want you to do it, I want you to do it. Come on, hit me. *Hit me!''

-The Joker to Batman, The Dark Knight

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 02:56:27 AM »
Actually, a lot of them get bigger in captivity because they are bred specifically to be larger. A larger animal has more muscle, and more muscle meat equals more money.
As far as the huge hogs getting killed, well...Do you have any clue how fierce pigs are? Domesticated pigs can and do kill each other in dominance fights, and wild pigs are worse. There's no way a hog that size could be easily killed by coyotes or feral dogs, and the area Hogzilla was found has no indigenous wolves.

Countess

• Great Master
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 02:24:27 PM »
As much as I hate to say it, Kreepy is right. Pigs can & do kill humans. An average farm(meat) pig can weigh well over 500 pounds. They also have tusks which in farm pigs are either removed or trimmed. They are also the 3rd smartest animal on the planet, fiercely protective, & fiercely territorial. A domestic pig that escapes will be irreversibly feral within a week.

blow_fly

• Realized Monster
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
But wouldn't an animal that has hitherto been completely dependent on humans to feed it, find itself facing the very real possibility of starvation in the wild? I apologise if my ignorance on the matter is showing, but the commonly accepted wisdom holds that dometicated animals released into the wild usually succumb quickly to death due to their inability to cope with the numerous crises that nature throws at them.
''Come on, I want you to do it, I want you to do it. Come on, hit me. *Hit me!''

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 11:18:59 PM »
Pigs will do anything for food, and abundance of food is the only thing that keeps them domesticated. As soon as they're hungry, they'll revert back to the savage behavior of their fierce ancestors.
You live in Austrialia don't you, blow_fly? Ever encounter a wild razorback? They're descended from domesticated pigs the European settlers brought over. Those things are said to be fierce enough to chase off a few hungry dingos.

As far as other animals go, I know for a fact that dogs, cats, cows, goats, sheep, and horses that are said to be "domesticated" thrive in the wild, sometimes to the point of being invasive species and threatening the populations of native species. If I may ask, where did you get your information stating domesticated animals struggle in the wild?

blow_fly

• Realized Monster
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 11:50:08 PM »
My info comes from government phamplets and messages distributed by animal welfare activists that advise people against dumping their exotic pets in the wild once they have gotten tired of them, due in part to the alleged inability of these previously captive animals to cope in the wilderness on their own. Hardly the most reliable sources in existence when I come to think of it now.