Author Topic: Pagan Living  (Read 15732 times)

Devious Viper
Re: Pagan Living
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 04:53:49 PM »
I have 3 hedgerows of lavender, each about 15 feet long, about 4 feet high. I don't water them or fuss over them, just let them get on with it.

Necropolis

• Fearless Warrior
  • Kiss My Lightening Bolt
    • MySpace - Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 05:59:15 PM »
I was l;etting my lavendar grow as it would... my father-in-law decided to mow over them. They are luckily recovering.
Necropolis™ 2001-06, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys however accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance.

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 09:00:40 PM »
*ponders jealousy* 

wild hedgehogs and lavender?   :cry:

it seems like it should be easy enough to grow, perhaps it's because i'm consistantly trying to grow herbs inside?

we have a terribly short growing season, and flesh flowers are so expensive in the winter months.

"The world that God made is inherently comprised of relationships, symmetries, analogia, anagogy, poetic wisdom. Thus is the language of symbolism."

Necropolis

• Fearless Warrior
    • MySpace - Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 11:31:48 PM »
Most plants will grow outside if left to their own devices. But inside...
Are you following the growing conditions for each plant?
Necropolis™ 2001-06, The authors, affiliates and their subsidiary companys however accept no responsability for any coherence in the above or any aforementioned or prior correspondance.

Devious Viper
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 03:42:20 AM »
Lavender thrives in heat, but lets face it, it isn't normally hot and sunny in England  :|

The only thing I will do with it this year is cut it back to the woody stems in late autumn; apparently that will encourage growth and bulk for next year. Avoid cutting the wood, though, I'm reliably informed. Also, there are two main vairieties of lavender, English and French. French has a more vivid colour, but weaker scent. I would think - I'm no expert, just a layman - that the English variety is more forgiving of climate.

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 07:52:44 AM »
Most plants will grow outside if left to their own devices. But inside...
Are you following the growing conditions for each plant?

i try...

a pagan that can't grow lavender...

is that normal?
"The world that God made is inherently comprised of relationships, symmetries, analogia, anagogy, poetic wisdom. Thus is the language of symbolism."

Devious Viper
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 08:39:43 AM »
Its the good Christian Baptist girl trying to make herself heard inside...  *<:)

Devious Viper
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 08:51:43 AM »
What I'd really like to turn my hand to next is a chamomile lawn

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »
Its the good Christian Baptist girl trying to make herself heard inside...  *<:)

anything but baptist?!?! i've heard scary things about that denomination...

frighteningly enough for all the horrors the roman catholic inflicted upon my sould, i'd have to return to them...or try the universal approach, it'd be fun worshipping through music with no particular order to it...but i'm not ready for worshipping an intangibile surreality, again.

keep pushing it, see what happens.   0:)

now chamomile!

that i can grow, easy enough...it also grows wild around here...we've got fields of the stuff, clover and daisies too...i would love to be able to grow it together with lavender...and maybe some st. johnswort...sadly johnswort is considered a noxious weed around these parts, it's completely illegal...so i'll have to settle for the healthfood store and coupling it with valerian.

i'd have better luck and less of a fine growing marijuana than st. johnswort, how's that for farming community concerns?  ;)

chamomile is like a daisy you can steep in warm water and drink; they have a good energy about them and relaxing properties to boot...ii tend to be a little on the popcorn side of thought and agitation, especially when driving.  :D

Necropolis

• Fearless Warrior
    • MySpace - Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 02:46:15 PM »

chamomile is like a daisy you can steep in warm water and drink; they have a good energy about them and relaxing properties to boot...ii tend to be a little on the popcorn side of thought and agitation, especially when driving.  :D

Daisy is like a daisy you can steep in warm water and drink. I have never had any luck with Chamomile (German). I can get it to grow I just dont have any luckl with it. The first one just disappeared, the second one died becuase someone dumped it out of its pot and used it to plant something else.

Stoned Sheep are easier to herd.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 04:08:00 PM by Necropolis »

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 12:19:33 AM »

Daisy is like a daisy you can steep in warm water and drink. I have never had any luck with Chamomile (German). I can get it to grow I just dont have any luckl with it. The first one just disappeared, the second one died becuase someone dumped it out of its pot and used it to plant something else.

Stoned Sheep are easier to herd.

now you understand the pain i have for lavender.   :|

Lena

• Young Beast
  • Another curtained life
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 10:54:46 AM »
The only problem I've had with my chamomile (roman variety) is keeping it confined to its section of the garden. I had to make it a cage... Yes, a chamomile cage. It's harder to control than mint!

jordyn

• Mod
  • Realized Monster
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 11:59:19 AM »
The only problem I've had with my chamomile (roman variety) is keeping it confined to its section of the garden. I had to make it a cage... Yes, a chamomile cage. It's harder to control than mint!

:D  i like that!

i suppose they could be considered a noxious weed, if it wasn't native.

Morticia
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 11:21:58 AM »
I have 3 hedgerows of lavender, each about 15 feet long, about 4 feet high. I don't water them or fuss over them, just let them get on with it.

Beautiful photo.

I have one lavender plant, have had it for years and dug it up and moved it when I moved.  It's about 10 years old now.  I never do anything special to it.  I think it's English lavender.  (It's outside).

Chamomile is easy to grow too.  Just plant it and leave it alone.

So far I have mint and lemon balm, which seem to fight over who can spread the fastest and farthest; a sage bush that is at least 15 years old, oregano, thyme, chives, and every year I plant parsley, dill, and definitely basil.  I use basil a LOT in my cooking.  I have a bit of trouble keeping rosemary alive.  I started some from seed in the winter and it looked great until it got outside, then it died.

Oh, I have a little hint to offer.  Put used coffee grounds in your compost, or if you don't compost throw them in your flower beds.  They attract earthworms.

~Morticia

Devious Viper
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 02:51:29 PM »
Put used coffee grounds in your compost, or if you don't compost throw them in your flower beds.  They attract earthworms.

Earthworms who then get so wired on the caffeine buzz that they stay up all day and all night munching compost. Be warned - they can be a little cranky first thing.

"WHERE'S MY JOE??!!"