Monstrous Café > Say It!

the future of human interconnections *tech wise*

(1/3) > >>

jordyn:
where is it going?

at this point in time, with the punch of a few buttons on a cell phone, you can do more than just call your neighbor...i can send pictures over seas, download games, have bollywood music my jingle and assign pictures and ringers to individual people...if i chose to pay more, i could be doing what i'm doing right now, anywhere, in the palm of my hand...just posting and sending pictures...while talking on the phone...with a headpiece, hands free to drive?!?!?!

some of it's still limited, site wise and phones aren't as easy to use as a computer...but what can be done now?

can you imagine it in five years?

The_Seeker:
Just a moment, I need to ask my computer what my opinion is.  The problem is that we're becoming far too reliant on machines to do things such as simple math.  While shopping, the cashier told my dad that the computer wasn't working and so he couldn't figure out the tax so he would just charge 50 cents.  The actual tax amount was like 17.  It's a petty example but I think it demonstrates the point nicely.

Phantom X:
This seems like the sinerio in the Pendragon Book called The Reality Bug, but its a good one. We will all rely on machines so much, we will develope something to give us the perfect life, the perfect experience and that will lead to our addiction and destruction.

Weirdelicious:

--- Quote from: The_Seeker on July 21, 2006, 09:41:43 AM ---Just a moment, I need to ask my computer what my opinion is.  The problem is that we're becoming far too reliant on machines to do things such as simple math.  While shopping, the cashier told my dad that the computer wasn't working and so he couldn't figure out the tax so he would just charge 50 cents.  The actual tax amount was like 17.  It's a petty example but I think it demonstrates the point nicely.

--- End quote ---

True but we may have lost alot but we've also gained many things I mean, we can now communicate with people around the world, share ideas, discover new places like for example, before I joined monstrous, I was feeling alone and isolated in my weirdness but now, I don't feel alone! Of course we use more our fingers than anything else, but it's worth it! But like jordyn I'll say what can be done now?

Zak Roy Yoballa:
While I don't completely disagree with The_Seeker and Phantom X, there are some things we need to consider.

1.  If we would use your logic 200 years ago, we would all be using horses to get around instead of cars, trains, planes etc.  Certainly when industrialization first started the geniuses (I'm not being sarcastic) who came up with the technology weren't perfect and the first machines didn't work so well.  Look at the Wright Brothers, their first flight was shorter than the wing span of a B-52 BUT it was a necessary step.

2. As technology of computers and electronics improve, as they have in the past, reliability will follow.  Planes are flying all the time and rarely do we have a crash.

3.  While I agree that some tasks should always be a persons responsibility (like The_Seeker's math example!) Machines can do things better than we can.  Look at the medical advances that have occured that are only possible through technology.  How many lives have been saved and/or improved because of a CAT scan or MRI? 

4.  One last point:  technology is "neutral",  our use of it is either good or evil.  If some lazy PWT wants to selfishly use technology to steal someone's identity and wreck that person's life, the blame lies soley with the PWT, it has nothing to do with the phone or computer through which the abuse has occured.

*steps off of soap box*

I would like to add that it would be fun to have another huge black out that my current home residence was responsble for a couple of years ago.  I had more fun playing with my kids out side than I had in a long time!

ZRY

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version