Author Topic: The Threefold Law  (Read 9871 times)

Countess

• Great Master
Re: The Threefold Law
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »
Most magickal systems use the three-fold law. Not just Wicca.  In essence it is a way of keeping practitioners from using magick for nefarious purposes since most people are more keen to keep themselves from any negative impact.  It works on the premise of like energy attracting like energy. So suffering consequences prior to sending out the energy does not exempt the person from the resulting negative energy. The law does not say that the return energy will be instant or even come soon after just that the energy you send out will find it's way back to the sender.  For most Wiccans the law extends beyond magick into everyday life.  That being said, magick isn't something to dabble in & can have very serious repercussions.

fitsune

• Witches
  • Monstrous Imp
  • Lipgloss is life...
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
First of all, humans never left their natural habitat, like so many other creatures we find or make our own.
The beaver, the hermit crab, and so many others.

Secondly, animals do not give off negative energy, when they kill, it is out of survival. Only humans, and a very few others, have the luxury to be able to -decide- if they -want- to eat a cow for dinner. An animal as oldbill used as an example doesn't, it's either eat that defenseless babe, or starve and let your own babe become an orphan and get eaten in turn. That animal isn't being vicious or sadistic, it is simply trying to survive. It wishes the babe no harm.

-That- is the Three Fold Law, when we are aware that our actions have consequences, but we choose those actions anyway.

Mr. Kreepy's edit: We can have a heated debate without resorting to insults that don't serve to further the discussion. Consider this a warning.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 05:33:28 PM by Mr. Kreepy »
The hottest fires, the flames of hell, forge the strongest blades.

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
Most magickal systems use the three-fold law. Not just Wicca. 

Please tell me where the Law of Three exists in Vodoun, Chaos magic, Enochian magic, Native American medicine work, the Odinic rune arts, or any of the various other hundreds upon hundreds of magickal systems that are used all over the world.

Secondly, animals do not give off negative energy, when they kill, it is out of survival. Only humans, and a very few others, have the luxury to be able to -decide- if they -want- to eat a cow for dinner. An animal as oldbill used as an example doesn't, it's either eat that defenseless babe, or starve and let your own babe become an orphan and get eaten in turn. That animal isn't being vicious or sadistic, it is simply trying to survive. It wishes the babe no harm.

So if I were to eat an infant simply because I was hungry and it was the closest edible thing I could find, would you consider that an "evil" action? It would be nothing personal, and my intention would be the satiation of my own hunger and not any desire to cause pain to the child. It would be an entirely impersonal, amoral action. Would you still consider that an "evil" thing?

Countess

• Great Master
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
First, I said MOST not all. Secondly, it may not be the exact letter for letter 3 fold law but many systems & religions do believe that like energy attracts like energy. So, if you are sending positive energy it positive energy will be attracted to you.

blow_fly

• Realized Monster
  • An extremely curious person
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:45 AM »
Secondly, it may not be the exact letter for letter 3 fold law but many systems & religions do believe that like energy attracts like energy

While that may true with certain cultures, it is not the case with others. For instance, the Jivaro Indians of South American belief that by slaying a tribal enemy and shrinking his head, they can claim the power of his soul for their own benefit. While there is some possibility of the dead man's soul seeking vegeance against his killers, there is even greater danger in taking mercy upon one's ancestral foes, since doing just that will infuriate a warrior's ancestors who will rain down devastation upon those who refuse to take the lives that they are entitled to. By obeying tribal taboos and taking a head, a Jivaro Indian ensures that good fortune will befall him and his tribe. In  this particular case, what you would describe as an act that is simpy brimming with ''negative energy'', seems designed to attract  it's starkly opposing quality,  which is ''positive energy''.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:21:18 AM by blow_fly »
''Come on, I want you to do it, I want you to do it. Come on, hit me. *Hit me!''

-The Joker to Batman, The Dark Knight

Countess

• Great Master
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
I know it isnt the case with all religions or cultures which is why I said MANY and not ALL. The other info was intresting, thanks for adding it.

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
You mind giving evidence that it exists anywhere at all outside of Wicca or related belief systems?

Countess

• Great Master
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »
Prayer (which is a form of like energy attracting like energy), believing that if you do good things good things will come to you, karma, reincarnation in some faiths.

Mr. Kreepy
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »
Prayer is getting on your knees and grovelling before a superior so that you can get what you want. Dogs do the same thing, and it has nothing to do with "positive" or "negative" energy.

The Golden Rule only holds up until human nature kicks in and people take advantage of that undeserved kindness. Furthermore, people are generally only kind because they want to benefit and get something in return. Last time I checked, doing good with the expectation of reciprocation isn't selflessness. It's covering your ass. Because of that, it has nothing to do with "positive" energy, since the positive is only given out of purely selfish desires.

Karma is the same as above. Nothing to do with "positive" or "negative". It's just covering your own ass.

As for reincarnation...There is no set, singular belief about that, so I hardly think it can even be mentioned here.

CelticSeeker

• Weres
  • Young Beast
  • I am what walks between worlds
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2009, 02:10:25 PM »
The Three Fold Law is an interpretation, same with Karma, and any other "idea" that trys to explain the naturual balanced chaotic way things are. The universe is a large place, that much is obvious, but there is a flow or a equilibrium. For example, the natural laws say that there is always a reaction to a action. A ball of hydrogen will most likely due to its makeup catch fire and burn anything around it. Including what started the flame. It holds true in everything wether it be scientifical or ethereal. Nature is what I like to call, Chaotic Neutral. It has a balance and will weigh things out in it's own time.
Monsters we are lest monsters we become.