Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

Are any of these real?

(1/9) > >>

omnipotentoculus:
There are a heap ton of mythological monsters: griffins, cyclops, rok, kraakan, etc. Are any of them based in reality?

For example. The Kraakan (in one description) is a great big squid that attacked ships and would tear them appart. While I don't think it ever attacked a ship, there are several stories about a giant squid appearing near the surface of the ocean. Also, recent evidence has hinted at an Ubersquid, bigger than the giant squid (which is proven to exist).

The_Seeker:
I can imagine the Cerberus possibly being "real".  Afterall, there have been accounts of animals being born with a genetic defect that includes multiple heads.  Then, just adding a little fine tuning let's make him really big and guardian of the Underworld.  Hydra might have also followed that cause as well.

omnipotentoculus:
Good point, when I was younger, I remember seeing a two headed snake in a zoo, and I still think it is cool.

One of my favorite explinations of mythological creatures is that sailors mistook manatees for mermaids. Come on, I don't care how long it has been since you've gotten any, a manatee is not attractive, ever.

The_Seeker:
Well, maybe the many months on the seas, constant rocking, a little salt water now and then, and the best companion you had being an old hairy guy saying "yargh" (I apologize to any sailors/pirates reading this) and you'd be desperate to day dream a little.

Phantom X:
Didnt they find a small skeleton of mermaid bones?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version