The Darker Side > Demons, Demonology and The Devil

Art: as Devilish as Devious

(1/3) > >>

Bloody Angel:
Though I’m not much into painting, I have a thing for a couple of artists. The first is Hieronymus Bosch, too much of a pessimist and extremist not to meet my tastes.

Obsessed with hell and its painful torments, fire and sins, Bosch would make his paintings haunted by horrible monsters and twisted demons, forcing human souls in the otherworld.

His use of imagery was impressive: furnaces, instruments of tortures, apocalyptic visions that gave his works a strong idea of sins so alluring yet so deceptive.

I’d like to remind you of his Seven Sins, that shows the Last Four Things on its corners:
Death
Last Judgement
Hell
Heaven
In the middle the Resurrected Christ and the Seven Deadly Sins spun around him as if mirroring his figure.

Nice the way he portrayed the sins:
Avarice-- a corrupt judge taking a bribe;
Anger -  a woman keeping at bay her drunken husband;
Envy -  a bourgeois watching a wealthy aristocrat, envying his lifestyle;
Lust-- young man & woman flirt as they indulge in food and alcohol while a jester entertains them;
Gluttony-- a fat man and his fat child eating, a very thin man drinking;
Pride - a woman watching herself in a mirror held by a devil dressed as a servant;
Sloth-- a man dozes in front of a fire while a nun reminds him of his religious duty   

Devious Viper:
Detail of Seven Sins painting

entire painting

Bloody Angel:
Sinners at their best.

Bloody Angel:
According to The Picture Book of Devils, Demons and Witchcraft, by Ernst and Johanna Lehner, each of the Deadly Sins is associated to a specific punishment in Hell.
Give it a look, sounds painful and interesting

Anger, dismembered alive
Envy, put in freezing water   
Gluttony, forced to eat rats, toads, and snakes
Greed, put in cauldrons of boiling oil
Lust, smothered in fire and brimstone   Pride, broken on the wheel
Sloth, thrown in snake pits

Is it brimstone I'm smelling?  :evil:

jordyn:

--- Quote from: Bloody Angel on July 21, 2006, 02:57:43 AM ---According to The Picture Book of Devils, Demons and Witchcraft, by Ernst and Johanna Lehner, each of the Deadly Sins is associated to a specific punishment in Hell.
Give it a look, sounds painful and interesting

Anger, dismembered alive
Envy, put in freezing water   
Gluttony, forced to eat rats, toads, and snakes
Greed, put in cauldrons of boiling oil
Lust, smothered in fire and brimstone   Pride, broken on the wheel
Sloth, thrown in snake pits

Is it brimstone I'm smelling?  :evil:

--- End quote ---

sloth?

thrown in snake pits...sheesh, that's scary(imagines a bunch of kings, rats and corns)...i really don't see how those punishments should fit any of those "crimes" but a couple of tanks, some tropical plants and you've got one heck of an hepetarium.  :D

what's the point of punishment if it teaches nothing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version