Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

Greek Monsters

<< < (2/12) > >>

Zak Roy Yoballa:
Harpies:

AKA: 'storm goddesses'

Orignally these beings were said to be beautifully devine winged beings with lovely hair and faces.  Later they were said to be the more commonly recoginzed half-bird/half-woman creature that I married.  Just kidding honey  :-D.   What ever they looked like they were always vile and nasty thieves who preyed upon the weak be they wounded from battle, starving in the wilderness, young unattended babes in their cribs, or handicapped seers.   

Zak Roy Yoballa:
The Minotaur:

He was the result of King Minos' wife Pasiphae and Poseidon's white bull have a child.  He had the body of a man and the head of a bull.  When the Creteans concured Athens, they made the Atheneas pay an annual tribute of seven boys and seven girls to be fed to the Minotaur.  The hero Theseus saved the Atheneas from this by solving the Minotaurs maze (thanks to some string, a niffty sword and the help of King Minos' daughter Ariadne) and killing the beast.

Abbadonenator:
Typhoeus/Typhon: A serpent like monster who is sometimes described as the source of devastating storms; and sometimes as a volcanical demon whose eyes shot out flames. He was conceved by Gaea, Mother Earth, and Tartarus.
Typhon tried to establish himself as the ruler of the world, but Zeus, the almighty God, managed to kill him with a thunderbolt after a fearful struggle.

"Now after Zeus had driven the Titanes out of heaven, gigantic Gaia (Earth), in love with Tartaros (the Pit), by means of golden Aphrodite, bore the youngest of her children, Typhoeus." - Hesiod, Theogony 820

Typhon is said to be the father of several monsters such as the sphinx, cerberus, gorgon, scylla, the hydra of lerna and draco hesperidum (the serpent guardian of the famous tree that gave golden apples)

whitefox17:
Τέλος θα ήθελα να μάθουν για την ιστορία μου ως μέρος ελληνικά
which is greek for I finally learn about my history as  a part greek

TheTerror:
was cerberus a greek monster
I know  that atilla the hun new bout it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version