Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

Not too well known monsters for ya....

(1/3) > >>

champjklccmk:
Okay, so basically this thread is about monsters who haven't had the honor of being internationally known... So, we'll give them a much needed, as american's like to call it, 15 minutes of fame...

I'll start shall I?

In my country, specifically the Philippines, there's this monster called a Mananangal...  Read that as if it has two 'Gs'... Now the main characteristic of this li'l evil doer, is that it's a female mostly when described... A female with the gigantic wings of a bat and flying around with only its torso, the intestines and innards hanging out... Where's the hips and legs you may ask? Your guess is as good as mine... But folklore tells that its in a secluded spot where none would wander upon it innocently to find half a body standing on its own... Main diet consists of unborn fetus while still inside the wombs of the mothers,'Duh!', and liver, whichever it may be from... We have a lot more of this kind of thing here, but I also want to know what local monsters are there in your own backyard... Be a pleasure to hear from you!

Countess:
That description sounds very familiar to me though I am not sure it was called the same thing.

My contribution is Samebito. Japanese in origin he is half shark half man with black skin.

champjklccmk:
Hmm, Samebito... I think I've heard of that before...

Now for another, we have this cute little beastie called a Tiyanak... I say cute because this monster assumes the form of a baby... There's many legends concerning the makings of this particular monster... Some say that the baby died while in the womb and got reborn as a Tiyanak, others tell of a curse being put upon the mother as she was pregnant... Now as a cuddly little rascal, one would think that it was clear at how it hunts... By luring in the vulnerable to cuteness... Also, one disturbing fact about this creature is that it supposedly favors testicles... Yes, that's right, no typo there... Dunno how true that is, but it gives me the shivers just thinking about it... :-o

blow_fly:
Remind me never to cuddle another baby again. Now for my contribution.

The Pontianak is an evil being that often assumes the from of a beautiful woman. The scent of  frangipani flowers accompanies her. However as one approaches her, the smell of decay becomes overwhelming. The closer the Pontianak, the fainter its cry which resembles that of a crow's.  They slay their victims buy ripping open their bellies and subsequently devouring their innards. Males victims often have their testicles ripped off. An interesting detail about the Pontianak is that it locates its prey by sniffing clothing left out overnight to dry.

champjklccmk:
Doesn't it suck applicable these stories about beautiful women always turns out monstrous in the end? I think it's more like guy's getting together with a girl only to find that he doesn't like her anymore after a while... But since we're on the subject, I have another one called the White Lady... As the name suggests, this is a woman garbed in white clothing and is born from women who've died due to injustice or abuse... You know the type... Raped, murdered, tortured etc.... Anyway, this White Lady's main act is more often to simply walk around and scaring people, though whether that's intentional I can't say... But every now and then, a particularly vindictive one would lure a man by adopting an attractive visage and when she has him in her grasp, Guts and organs go bye2x! Also attributed to a lot of highway accidents here because the driver sees them behind their rearview mirror and loses controll due to fear...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version