Monstrous Café > Say It!

VAMPIRES

<< < (2/7) > >>

Arbitran:
As a full-blooded vampire, I must honestly say that I am slightly offended by the suggestion that we are mere symbols or metaphors; we are very, very real. As is our need for blood, and our intolerance for sunlight.

jordyn:
"RARE DISEASE PROPOSED AS CAUSE FOR 'VAMPIRES'

By PHILIP M. BOFFEY, Special to the New York Times

Published: May 31, 1985

LOS ANGELES, May 30- Werewolves and vampires, those dreaded beasts of folklore and superstition, may have been nothing more than people suffering from a rare class of genetic diseases, a scientist suggested here today.
Dr. David H. Dolphin, a biochemist at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, suggested that the effects of the porphyria diseases, which involve a malfunctioning in the body's manufacture of crucial chemicals, could have left victims grotesquely disfigured, turned them into creatures of the night and caused them to suck the blood of their brothers and sisters.

Victims of the diseases, Dr. Dolphin suggested in a talk at the American Association for the advancement of Science, could have inspired the mythology of werewolves, which were humans who changed into wolves, and vampires, which were corpses that left their graves at night to suck the blood of humans.

Aversion to Sunlight

The effects of these diseases, if left untreated, can be devastating, he said. The malfunctions in the body's chemistry cause the skin to be extraordinarily sensitive to sunlight, with a result that exposure to even mild sunlight can disfigure the skin, cause the nose and fingers to fall off, and make the lips and gums so taut that the teeth, although no larger than ordinary, look like they are jutting out in a menacing, animal-like manner. "

Vampires in the supernatural sense are just that, i really meant no offense but considering until the most recent of times in industrialized countries they were evil beasts from hell that preyed upon the living, there is no scientific proof that there's anything to it other than actual diseases that are acknowledged by scientific communities that can be quite debilitating to humans who glorify it, if you took offense it's your problem. They are glamorized fantasy creatures made popular by movies, television shows and classically written stories inspired by superstition and misunderstanding of the more serious aspects of human nature that causes the perceived non human state.
You can believe you're some fantastic creature just as i believe there are ghosts, gods, devils, disincarnate human souls walking the earth and a variety of other intelligent energies we can attune with...but i acknowledge that my beliefs are mostly unprovable by science and are strictly derived from faith and personal experiences. While there are a multitude of shows that can show "true" supernatural phenomena and a variety of people from all cultures experience the supernatural, there's nothing amazing about your claims, in some countries you'd be destroyed, just as those same countries stone witches.

How did you become a full blooded vampire?

Arbitran:
There is nothing which is "supernatural" about me, or any other vampire; any more than one would consider an implement of science "supernatural". One could, since it is, after all, not a naturally-occurring object. Vampires are not naturally-occurring; i.e., nature did not create vampires. The vampire blood has existed in this world for many millennia, since its creation by the ancients. There are a number of misunderstandings about vampires, for sure. We are not corpses, but neither are we alive in the sense which human culture presently understands the term. I can go on, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Any further information would be best said in the form of answers to questions.

ivwiwba35:
Superb! Generally I never read whole articles but the way you wrote this information is simply amazing and this kept my interest in reading and I enjoyed it.

Arbitran:
Given you have raised a number of questions, I shall answer them in order:
1 ~ Correct, vampires are not naturally-occurring. As I have said, vampires, as far as I have been able to discern thus far, were originated with the ancients.
2/3 ~ The ancients, as I have come to call them, are very little-known, even by me. My study on the matter has more often than not resulted in failure, but what I have learned has led to my knowledge of the origin of the vampiric blood; as far as I have been able to learn, the blood is an artifice of highly-knowledgeable beings (whom I call 'ancients', and about whom I know little for certain, as I say) who existed in the very distant past. I don't know precisely how long ago they existed, but my investigations have yielded a tentative time of their existence to circa one-hundred-seventy-thousand years before present. As such, they long predate recorded history, and I know of no relics of their culture apart from the vampiric blood. I know very little else of their nature.
4 ~ No, I do not require oxygen or water; I do not require glucose; as I have said, my body is not 'alive' in the sense in which humanity currently understands the term. My heart does not beat.
5 ~ Blood is not needed for nutrition in the sense of nutrition as it applies to biology. Nor does a vampire's desire for blood stem from its taste. A vampire seeks blood sheerly for its role in sustaining his or her body. Erythrocytes (and to a minor extent leukocytes and thrombocytes) are the sole material I know of which can be converted by the vampiric blood into the energy which fuels it. The vampiric blood can be sustained on the energy of a single drop of blood for approximately one hour; this can be easily extrapolated to find the approximate length of time, proportionately, that a vampire could survive without feeding after having consumed the blood supply of an entire organism.
6 ~ As I say, my body is not 'alive' in the sense which would require Vitamin D or sunlight to function; I cannot be diseased, nor can I die. My body's upkeep is entirely governed by the vampiric blood inside it. Your concerns of rickets afflicting me can be put to rest.
7 ~ No, in fact, I am not. You, of course, may choose to believe whatever you wish; I am merely answering your questions, as I agreed to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version