Faeries, The Fay & The Hidden > Faeries & The Fay

Faeries

(1/3) > >>

Shadowling:
Faeries, are sometimes known as 'Good Folk', 'Wee Folk', and 'Little People' in an attempt to appease them. Faerie is really just a general term, and is used to describe an incredible variety of supposedly supernatural beings, whos descriptions vary throughout cultures. The Dark Elves of Germany for example, are said to be wicked and hidious, while in English Folklore, female Elves are often pictured as golden-haired maidens.    
    In earlier times, faeries were viewed with much fear, expecially by mothers, who belived they would steal a child and replace it with a disgusting Changeling child. Another fear factor, was thier presumed powers. 'Faerie' comes from the latin word fata meaning 'fate', and humans presumed that Faeries could controll the very fabric of thier lives. In order to prevent Faeries from entering thier homes, people would hang things made of irion on thier doors, for Faeries were said to hate irion things made by humans. By the mid-sixteenth century however, fear of Faeries gradually dissapated, and was replaced by fear of witches. And from this new, more innocent view of Faeries, came the false, modern image which is commonly featured in books for young children.    

-Shadowling

Anonymous:
Do you personally believe in their existence? Your views on this would interest me.

Shadowling:
Well.... I do believe they exist, but not as the stereotyped creatures they are today, and I also believe they are somewhat less old fashioned as we are made to believe. I also believe they live in Tir Na nOg.

Anonymous:
Tir Na Nog? Is it a relam in the astral plane that faeries are said to exist in?

Shadowling:
My post in the 'subterranian' section covers that. It's called 'The Faerie Location'.
              -Shadowling

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version