Dead... And Not So Dead > The Dead and the Undead

Death Be A Lady

(1/4) > >>

TeteoInan:
It's not just Steven Hughes's that thinks of death as a woman!
Cihuacoatl, Manea, Freyja, Itzpapalotl, Kali, The Morrigan, Nephthys, Hecate, Hel ...Uhm... Tia, Rohe...  I'm running out of names of ladies associated with Death... but I know there are tons more.

A story was told of a merchant of Baghdad who was approached one day by his servant. The poor man's face was pale and his hands were shaking.
      "Master," said the servant, "I saw Death in the marketplace today, a tall woman hooded in black. She looked directly at me and made a threatening gesture with her hand." The terrified menial begged for his master's horse, that he might flee to the city of Samarra and so escape the clutches of the woman Death.
      The master agreed, and when the servant had left for Samarra - riding as fast as the horse could carry him - he went himself to the market place, to see whether Death would appear.
      She did indeed, hooded in black as the servant had said. She idled among the stands, examining the fruits piled there; from time to time, she tapped a person on the shoulder, and that person blanched and hurried away.
      The merchant beckoned her to him, and she came willingly. He asked with curiosity why she had threatened his servant.
      "That was not a threatening gesture," answered Death demurely. "It was a gesture of surprise at seeing here in Baghdad. I have an appointment with him tonight in Samarra, you see." And with a smile, she disappeared.

Now, I thought this was funny.

Who's your favorite female Death deity?

Night Energy:
Interesting thing, but the only way i can find why some author finds the death itself a woman is that: femme fatale.
The womans was the end in some cases for the men, because by the mens weakness for the woman. Maybe those authors who find the death female is that the  men weakness for womans. 

Nina:
Heh, The Grim Reaperess :-D

Azurahn:
Am I the only one that feels they lose iq points when they read this guys posts???

Authors? What authors are you talking about?  *<:)

TeteoInan:
 *<:)  *<:) Azzy that's not nice!  *<:)  *<:)

--- Quote from: Night Energy on October 08, 2011, 07:58:05 AM ---Interesting thing, but the only way i can find why some author finds the death itself a woman is that: femme fatale.
The womans was the end in some cases for the men, because by the mens weakness for the woman. Maybe those authors who find the death female is that the  men weakness for womans. 

--- End quote ---

My first question... Are you Sexist?
I'm curious about what "author" you're talking about... and does this assumption of yours about "femme fatale" include why there are Goddesses of Life, War, Wisdom?
Man's Weakness for Women is something that comes up in romantic fairy tales of heroes that die doing something stupid they shouldn't have been doing in the first place.

I was under the impression that "Death Itself" is a concept, or a point in time in the circle of life.
This topic isn't about the concept of Death.
This topic is about Female Mythological, Religious and Cultural Entities ( be they Goddess, Deity or Spirit ) that represent Death and the Varying "Underworlds" / "Hells".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version