Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

phoenix..

<< < (2/8) > >>

ravinclaw:
Phenex is said to take the form of a phoenix, not that he actualy is one. To say that the demon Phenex is the basis for the phoenix would be like saying Botis is the basis for the viper or Stalas the owl, Naberius the raven.... you get the point right?

Countess:
Since the symbol of the Phoenix is used as a symbol of Christ's rebirth it is highly unlikely that it would be considered a demon. The confusion may have started with the early church's fondness for naming their demons after existing gods/spirits/etc as a way of integrating the old religions with their own to make conversion easier. The similar spelling belies the very diffrent pronunciation of the words. Phenex would be Fen-ex where Phoenix is FEE-nix. After reading the full Wiki article you are refrencing, it is quite obvious it is a corruption of an ancient legend. In the eyes of the early & to some extent modern church, all things associated with magic & science were considered to be directly linked with evil. The legend of the Phoenix predates any of the Christian demon lore so it is unlikely that it is only member of the christian demon ranks.

Elie:
ok..so now is there any instance that a real phoenix could be magicians familiar?

Countess:
You mean like in Harry Potter or do you mean in the sense of a Phoenix being a demon that serves a magician or do you mean as an honest familiar?

confused_mystery:

--- Quote from: Elie on April 06, 2011, 08:45:07 AM ---maybe i was just confused

Ars Goetia
#37 Marquis Phenex

Phenex is a Great Marquis of Hell and has twenty legions of demons under his command. He teaches all wonderful sciences, is an excellent poet, and is very obedient to the conjuror. Phenex hopes to return to Heaven after 1,200 years, but he is deceived in this hope.
He is depicted as a phoenix, which sings sweet notes with the voice of a child, but the conjurer must warn his companions (for he has not to be alone) not to hear them and ask him to put in human shape, which the demon supposedly does after a certain amount of time.

who is this then?

--- End quote ---

oh ok well i sort of can see your confusion, with the bit you mentioned about the Phenex depicted as a phoenix well that still wouldn't consider it a demon because that's only a form he takes which may not be his true form. And i don't know who that could be but i would guess by the info that you gave me maybe that's just a high end demon who wants to be in heaven  :?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version