The Animal Within > The Werewolves' Den

What defins a Lycan to you

<< < (2/3) > >>

Zap:
yes but that is a dictionary term i was aiming at a more personal level

Nossie:
We've all got the seed of the wolf in our psyche, but whether or not it makes itself manifest is a different matter.

maggot man:
Interesting theory you have there,Nossie. I'd always assumed that it was only a select few who had the animal co-exist alongside their human soul.

Zap:
if that's true we all may have it, But it just may not be as dominant in most people.

Loup_Garou:
Ok - Now I finally have "time". Here goes. Where to begin...?

==============================================
To start, I think I'll talk about what a were is not.

A Were is NOT 99.98% of the teenagers who say they are, though I can certainly appreciate where they're coming from. It's tough being a teenager. All of them try to be different in their own way, and are told that being different is bad. At the same time, they're told to be "individuals", but are all processed and educated and treated just like every other person they know. They have a number, they have a schedule, and they are supposed to fit neatly into the cogs of this Great Machine... but then they're told to be individuals... So right off the bat you've got a whole bunch of teens who are just plain confused from being told two conflicting stories at once.

Add hormones on top of that, and you've just got a mess. It's easy to mistake the changes of puberty for something out of a John Carpenter movie. Most people think that "Puberty" lasts for oh, say 6-24 months when their hormones are "switched on", and their body just has to "balance out". They think that puberty itself only lasts until the body gets back into balance with the new hormone levels. This is CRAP. Puberty actually lasts well into a persons 20's, and the effects are felt even later than that. Hormones don't just "switch on", and a persons body doesn't just "balance out" in a matter of weeks or months. As hormone levels stabilize, MORE hormones jump into the equation as well, and the whole thing lasts far longer than simple acne, boobs, hair and voice-breaking.

!!! Now, I'm sure there are teenagers reading this, who fully believe themselves to be Weres, and think I'm full of it. They say things like "I'm not hormonal" or "I can proove it", or "I know this is real". I really can't say anything to them to assuade them from their beliefs, nor would I want to. If you've carved a niche into society for yourself by "being a were", then by all means - ride it out for as long as it lasts, and never lose that sense of self. If you can hold onto that, then maybe some day you'll be a were for real. Just remember -- There are a TON of sissy little goth kids who do the same embarassing things by calling themselves actual Vampires... !!!

Ok - that NOVEL asside, additional things that a were is NOT:

A Were is NOT a person who jumps on to a BBS and starts talking about their wicked transformations. Most of these people have been described above. Similarly, a Were is not someone that brags about how their favorite dish is "raw meat with nothing else", or how they like to "run on all fours" etc. etc. Real Were's don't brag. Real Weres who are "coming out", so-to-speak are affraid to death of the things they are experiencing, and don't share them with ANYONE because they don't want to be locked in the looney-bin. The anonymity of the Internet has allowed a few EXTREMELY courageous weres to peek above the covers at the rest of the world, and to try and connect with others like them, but by and large, EVERY were has the sense of self-preservation to not make themselves a target.

A Were is not "the little guy" hiding in the corner. Real Weres are social predators as well as physical. No true were would be content with such a life, anyway. Wolves are constantly challenging the heirarchy and trying to make themselves more "fit". They exist in both human and animal worlds, and will not neglect one side in favor of the other, either. To neglect the human side for a were is like a normal human just giving up on cleaning because it's "too much work" -- it's also unhealthy. Most weres will not be spotted hiding in a corner like a coward or a timid little rabit. They will be the ones out on the dance floor, or in the center of a crowd, or leading a project because they have the sense of self and the presence to do so. A were is confident in both who AND what they are.

==============================================
What a Were IS:

A Were, to me, is someone who knows (not thinks, or believes, or suspects, but KNOWS) that they are. I believe it is a form of enlightenment as well, and can be either saturated, or completely void of spirituality altogether. A Were could be an aetheist, christian, jew, pagan, any of a countless number of religions and still be no less of a Were because it has no berring on what your religious views are.

A Were is also someone who does not need to brag, boast, or otherwise blab on and on about their abilities, powers, techniques, etc. (This is more detail of the above ideas). This makes it very difficult to find a true were via any popular medium because they won't be out exposing themselves to people who wouldn't understand them. Additionally, it would be to paint a big, red target on themselves to broadcast their nature over a medium such as the Internet. Occult fanatics, friends, relatives, pseudo-scientists, cryptozoologists, etc. would all be beating down their doors to try and figure out how to make this gift "available for the benefit of all man-kind". I, for one, would certainly not like to be poked, prodded, cajoled, or otherwise made to "perform" for mundane people just because they want what I had.

A Were is someone who respects themselves, other people (regardless of how stupid, annoying or otherwise oblivious the rest of the human population might be, and all other aspects of life as well. They enjoy the sunshine as well as the rain, so-to-speak. It comes in part from having achieved that "enlightened" state I spoke of before.

A Were is in sync with his/her instincts, and will follow them when applicable. Simultaneously, this precludes people who talk about how all they want to do is eat raw meat, etc. since humans don't really process raw anything very well. Sure, one could eat a raw steak, but they'd probably be sitting on the toilet for the rest of the night as the whole thing leads a funerary march through his/her body.

Anyway - I've run out of time. I've got more, but I'll have to save it for another time. I hope this gave some food for thought.

~Loup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version