Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

Mythology vs Religion

<< < (2/10) > >>

Raziel:

--- Quote from: MagnusCrane on December 02, 2009, 07:38:48 PM ---Well the $64,000.00 question is where did you come up with this concept of yours. And can you prove it. If its your particular belief on the matter, then God speed. I will admit that the topic I raised up is unproven and it was things that was going through my head. I have neither the proof of what I am saying or that the stories in mythology or the Bible are real. I have never there physical to witness or experience them. So all I can do is chose to believe or not. But you speak with such a condign certainty that I have to ask if you can produce the proof to support what you are saying.....

And I agree that Thor would give his father Odin a competitive run for his money......

--- End quote ---

I've read a few of these stories, but i felt that i needed a concrete well researched source. Hence i copy pasta'ed from wikipedia.
And i wasn't trying to disprove you but since i noticed the existence of similar myths of the same topic, it seemed like a good idea to present inject them into the discussion.

--- Quote from: Ladygriffin on December 03, 2009, 05:49:25 AM ---If you only can believe in what you've actually seen yourself, then you must question that, for example, the American Civil War ever took place - unless your older than I guess. What makes the old stories so much harder to believe in?
Troy is an excellent example: Almost everyone said that the Song of Ilion was purely fiction, but one man (I've forgotten his name) followed the geographical clues given in the poem. And guess what - he found Troy (aka Ilion)!

And for your information - Thor is too honest and straightforward to even consider to overthrow Odin! And should he ever try, Odin would get the upper hand. He is cunning and treacherous, and knows what will befall.

--- End quote ---

My beaked & feathered lioness. You obviously haven't seen Marvel's rune lord thor.

But i digress, din does see the future by virtue of mimir's well and thor does certainly have that bluntness about him.
But i was talking about a wrestling match, so by virtue of context, thor pwnz odin.

Now what about thor vs zeus? that sounds like fun.

Now then,  :focus: 

MagnusCrane:
Well lets run with this for a moment. You used American Civil War as an example. The North vs South right? So it is a matter of if you were there or not to have the experience to produce the proof. OK well I too knew an elderly lady, she was over 100 years old at the time I met her, in 1998. She told me that according to her grandparents, and her grandparents family, they were told, taught, and all understood that the South won the war. Although some may consider it to be preposterous, what if the truth is that the South did win the war? And only the rumors of winning the war survived as the North winning? I mean Napoleon used that same tactic. Hell during the first candidacy run for president, some believe George W. Bush, Jr. did the same thing against Al Gore. News media claimed Bush won even though the electoral votes said Gore won it. Now moving alone, you even said geographical clues, so clues are not certainties. And furthermore the geographical calculations can be off, consider it. So there still isn't any proof. I never anything about the old stories being so hard to believe in, but merely without proof, all we can do is chose to believe it or not. No one was there for the direct experience. Odin and Thor, now that would be a good fight......  :-P

MagnusCrane:
No no no.... I never felt that you were trying to disprove anything at all. In fact that would be great. You see what keeps me on my toes about everything I know, is that I've considered the possibility that everything I do know could all be wrong. In that, I can allow myself to be taught by anyone young or old without feeling arrogance in any way. And I clearly said that I could not prove what I am saying, they were just ideas I was shuffling around  in my head.

Thor vs Zeus.... That sounds like fun. Only I believe they would be fighting a splitting mirror image of themselves. I think that Thor is the Norse representation of Zeus.

Raziel:
you mean besides the fact that they both act and represent different things and have different roles. Yeah they are each other's mirror images.

Now the on the other hand, you could be wrong about being wrong and are unnecessarily debating with yourself about things that matter little in the long run.

And i think you misread LG's statement. She said that this person actually found troy/Ilion.  Rendering your argument invalidated, at least against this particular example.

NOw lets get back to the Hebrewz and the Greeks before i feed you some non muslim haram pork bunz!

MagnusCrane:
Ladygriffin I agree with you 1000% on the bottom part you wrote. I to believe the Bible is nothing more than a book of myths and within the myths lye the truth embedded. If we focus too much on the story, we will miss the principle behind the story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version