Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

Why does mythology interest you?

<< < (2/3) > >>

blow_fly:

--- Quote ---Myths and mythology isn't something that went away with the Roman empire, so to say. We create new myths and legends even today. It may sound contradictory, but even science has its myths. And a lot of what we call "scientific truths" are in fact nothing more than a way to look at the world which the majority of scientists (and others) agree to be correct. Hence the common belief that werewolfs, vampires, witches, ghosts, etc are fictional - they "can't be scientifically proved".

My interest in mythology stems from my childhood, and I have come to believe that by studying myths you can learn to understand the cultures that created them.

--- End quote ---

A Good point but don't you think that something should be consigned to the realm of mythology only if it is in direct conflict with what we belief the truth to be? As long as certain scientific theories have yet to be disproven, they cannot be regarded as being part of mythology, a category that has taken on a pejorative sense which conveys a suggestion of falsity.  As for your second statement, I entirely agree with it. A culture's mythology can not  only enlighten us as to the nature of its religious beliefs, but additionally, also illuminates the psychological mindset of the people who have created said culture.

blow_fly:
Sorry for misunderstanding the point that you were trying to convey.  So by your definition, would recent urban legends qualify as myths? Thanks.

Muerte:

--- Quote from: Ladygriffin on December 31, 2009, 06:01:51 PM ---Take the one with the driver of a black car that hunt you down on the road if you are careless ( I don't remember it in detail). Another good example is the Mothman legend (even though that one is not really an urban legend). Those stories contains elements of moral and teaching, which is the basis of most myths.
So - yes - I have to say that urban legends can be considered myths. Even though I don't see them as parts of a mythology.

--- End quote ---

I am sure the Greeks/Romans/ect thought the same thing Darling.

blow_fly:
In your opinion do random rumors of certain atypical phenomena  provide the material for mythology? Or does the reverse take place, with formal myths gradually denigrating into folk tales and urban myths? I'd like like to hear your thoughts on this, both of you.

Muerte:
  Not a problem.  I look at it from this view.  People as a whole are superstitious.  When something happens they do not understand, someone inevitably comes up with a reason/theory.  The better said individual sells their idea, the more momentum it carries until said theory becomes an accepted fact.  As time marches along, those who experienced said event die off, but the story of what they experienced and the reason behind it live on in the verbal history of society.  History becomes story, story evolves into legend, legend turns into myth.  A slightly simplified explanation, but as always I endeavor to keep others in the loop of understanding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version