Monstropedia > Mythical Monsters

Jinn gets into trouble with the law

(1/1)

blow_fly:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8145862.stm

The above article describes how a Saudi family filed a lawsuit against an especially malicious  jinn that took great pleasure in tormenting them. Based on its outrageous behaviour, this particular jinn is clearly one of those ''evil'' jinns which are not practicing Muslims, a fact which suggests that it will have a hard time getting an acquittal  from a judicial system run on the basis of Sharia law. But one fundamental obstacle prevents the plaintiffs from getting a successful conviction. How the hell do you deliver judicial summons to an entity that is invsible? 

blow_fly:
As I mentioned, the Saudi legal system conforms to the legal principles encoded in Sharia law, a legal system which itself is inspired by Islamic religious and spiritual convictions. Since the Koran affirms the existence of jinn, the courts are thus obliged to seriously consider any lawsuit filed against an alleged jinni. It's too bad that Sweden takes such a dim view of individuals who express their belief in the existence of supernatural entities. I understand that things are very different in Iceland where almost everyone apparently beliefs in the existence of fairies and other associated paranormal beings.

blow_fly:

--- Quote ---Well.... We can believe what ever we want - as long as we don't take it seriously.

Meaning that we are free to follow what ever religious or political belief we want. And the same goes for aliens, fairies, etc. But just as you can't be prosecuted for your beliefs, you can't take them to court either.

The upside is that you don't have to be afraid of being accused of witchcraft or things like that. But I would really have enjoyed follow a court case dealing with "kidnapped by aliens" or "stalked by a poltergeist" or something like that. With the aliens or the poltergeist being the ones actually on trial.

--- End quote ---

The problem is that cultures with a less rational mindset tend to assign supernatural causes to events of a perfectly mundane nature. When the majority of the adult population is firmly convinced in the existence of malicious supernatural entities which have the ability to influence or harm humans, the legal system is obliged to take their  believes  seriously. Attempts to dictate otherwise often go awry as is evident in South Africa where certain judicial institution have been found guilty of violating the law by hiring witch hunters to track down and slay suspected witches.

Raziel:
Conclusion: There needs to be another title for the supreme creator of the universe.

I Nominate "The Bob".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version